Brewer Fanatic

8/30/03 - Brewers (Kinney) @ Cubs (Estes)

squarepusher

3:05 PM, CST

TV: WCGV-24

Radio: WTMJ 620

Your Milwaukee Brewers try to go for #1 in a row today!

Matt Kinney was the recipient of an offensive barrage last start that allowed him to get a win on a 7 IP, 4 ER performance. He has a 3.03 ERA this month, but got hit hard in his only other appearance against the Cubs.

Shawn Estes comes off two back-to-back lousy starts, where he couldn't get out of the 5th inning. He's got a 5.71 ERA on the year, but had a decent stretch of starts before his recent troubles.

Brewerfan.net / Statfox matchup info:

www.brewerfan.net/matchup.jsp

Matt Kinney Player Profile:

www.brewerfan.net/ViewPlayerProfile.do?playerId=380

Yahoo! Sports Preview:

sports.yahoo.com/mlb/preview?gid=230830116

CNNSi.com Game Preview:

sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/previews/2003/08/30/3472_preview.html

SportsTicker Game Preview:

Milwaukee (58-76) at Chicago Cubs (69-64) 4:05 pm EDT

----------------------------------------------------------------

CHICAGO (Ticker) -- The Chicago Cubs hope to possibly regain

first place in the National League Central Division on Saturday

when they play the middle contest of a three-game set at Wrigley

Field.

The Cubs climbed within one-half game of the first-place Houston

Astros and St. Louis Cardinals atop the NL Central after

beating Milwaukee on Friday, 4-2.

Matt Clement tossed a seven-hitter as the Cubs snapped the

Brewers' 10-game winning streak.

Cubs lefthander Shawn Estes (7-10, 5.71 ERA) needs three

strikeouts to reach 1,000 for his career. He was rocked at

Arizona last Saturday, surrendering seven runs and nine hits in

4 1/3 innings.

Estes is 2-0 with a 1.35 ERA in three starts vs. the Brewers

this season and 4-3 with a 4.63 ERA in 10 career starts against

them.

Milwaukee righthander Matt Kinney (9-9, 4.67) beat Cincinnati on

the road on Tuesday, 10-6, after allowing four runs in seven

innings.

Kinney has faced the Cubs once before in his career, giving up

six runs in 7 2/3 innings in a 6-1 loss at Miller Park on May

Today's starting lineup:

MILWAUKEE CHICAGO CUBS AVG HR RBI AVG HR RBI Scott Podsednik CF .313 6 42 Kenny Lofton CF .285 10 37 [b]Keith Ginter 2B[/b] .268 10 31 Ramon Martinez 2B .286 3 32 Brady Clark RF .301 3 32 Sammy Sosa RF .296 31 85 Richie Sexson 1B .263 35 96 Moises Alou LF .282 19 79 [b]Mark Smith LF[/b] .353 2 5 Randall Simon 1B .280 12 60 Wes Helms 3B .253 19 58 Aramis Ramirez 3B .275 20 85 Eddie Perez C .263 9 40 Alex Gonzalez SS .228 17 51 [b]Bill Hall SS[/b] .288 3 12 Paul Bako C .218 0 11 Matt Kinney RHP .042 0 0 Shawn Estes LHP .143 1 2 (9-9, 4.67) (7-10, 5.71) 

I find it distressing that Yost no longer goes to Kieschnick (sp?) for pinch hitting purposes.

OPS of 1.002, has homered once in every eleven at bats, and struck out roughly once every six at bats.

Is there any reason why he picked Vander Wal over Kieschnick, both being left handed batters?

Brady Clark did not do a bad job, IMHO.

I'd almost be ready to consider him a 4th outfielder, with Jason Conti as the 5th outfielder. Both have good defense and some pop, so it might work.

Now, time for Doug Davis to put this series into the WIN Column for the Crew, we go to Miller Park and sweep the Reds. That gives us a five-gave winning streak, and we're halfway to matching this past winning streak...

BELIEVE!

As for Keischnick... I'd like to see him pinch-hit more as well.

Ginter with 3 walks today, I believe is finally at or very close to one walk every 10 AB's.

Pods stole home on a play the Twins used to try once a month or so. The runner on 1B either takes a huge lead or breaks early. A split second later the runner breaks from 3B, as the pitcher goes for the pickoff at 1B. In the time it takes the ball to go from the mound to 1B to home plate, a fast runner can score 9 times out of 10. Much like the suicide squeeze, it's almost impossible to defend.

With two outs, it's actually a pretty good percentage play.

I remember seeing the Brewers in the mid-80s do a few things like that as well.

Usually the two co-conspirators on this would be Molitor and Yount.

Yount breaks for second with the pitch - and the catcher tries to throw him out. EXACTLY as the catcher tries to throw Yount out, Molitor breaks for home.

I SAW it work once - well on TV - against the Orioles in the 1988 season opener in Baltimore. Was one of the first of 12 runs we got that day. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Despite Mike DeJean's multiple blown saves and the putrid work of Luis Vizcaino, the Crew is 21-16 in one-run games as well. Can't read too much into that, of course, but it reflects positively on Ned Yost in some fashion, just not exactly sure how -- I just don't remember us second-guessing him on too many late-inning moves, which I imagine means that bench coach Rich Dauer's head is in the game as well...

hey, I went to the game at Wrigley today, and it was great, crowd was loud, not too many Brewers fans, but it was a good time. anyways, I tried to tape it, but my little brother came into the room and changed the channel, by chance did anyone here happen to tape the game today?? if so, any chance I could get a copy of it? thanks in advance for any help.

Jeff

Archived