Brewer Fanatic

8/31/03 - Brewers (Davis) @ Cubs (Cruz)

squarepusher

With today's win, the Brewers move into sole posession of 5th place. Not quite time to start printing up playoff tickets, but 5th place is something no one expected the Brewers to see until next April.

Thanks for not rolling over and dying, fellas.

Also the Brewers:

- will need to go 21-5 to earn a .500 mark this season.

- are 3 games out of 4th place

- are 12 games out of 1st place

- are 13 games out of the wild card

Nice to see mathematical elimination day inching closer towards the correct end of the calendar this season.

There's little chance anyone beats out Willis for ROY unless his collapse intensifies and he loses the rest of his decisions. He's just been too hyped this season for anyone else to win. His weird delivery and cocked-hat have gotten him Nomo or Valenzuela-like media hype, which will sway voters even if Webb ends up more deserving of the award.

I'm a big fan of Jason Phillips of the Mets, actually. I agree, however, that webb would be my pick.

Not PHing for Davis, at 110 pitches? Very short-sighted.

I watched the game on tape after getting home from work at 5, and eating dinner. From beginning to end, it was well played, and just a wonderful way to spend my Sunday evening.

While I shake my head at 95% of pinch runners and defensive replacements, there's no way VW makes that catch. Conti may have struggled in AAA this year, but with a .350+ career AAA OBP, an arm like that, and the speed/range, he deserves to be on someone's bench, and I hope he is in '04.

Does anyone else find it ironic TEX and TOR, of all teams, released Doug Davis? Not only was he not awful, he's a 27 year-old LHP. Unless you're in the hunt, give the guy some innings.

I love the signing of Davis also,just from my years playing fantasy baseball i think Davis was much like Loaiza if i remember correct.He would have a couple fabulous starts and then he would go 2-3 starts in a row getting completely shelled,a good ERA would get destroyed be a few 2 IP 6-7 ER type of starts.

Watching him pitch he seems like a guy that would be good against certain teams and struggle vs others.He doesnt throw hard at all and counts on players swinging at changeups off the plate.The Cubs are a perfect team for him,not a bunch of power or hitters who take pitches and make Davis throw that 87mph fastball for a strike.

I'm all for giving this guy a chance,but lets see him vs some of the good hitting teams we will be facing.The Reds lineup is as bad as it gets and the Cubs arent mashers either.One thing we do know is,many teams struggle vs lefties and soft tossing lefthanders who can spot a changeup can be successfull in the bigs.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Davis did well yesterday, and very good overall since joining the Crew. Remember though, that 2 of his starts were against completely stripped down teams and the Cubs aren't exactly offensive stalwarts either. Granted, 3 ER in 4 starts is great no matter how you slice it, but before we give Davis anything, let's see how he performs against the Astros and Cardinals. At this point I think he's earned a spot in the rotation, though not the # 2 guy Clancy wants him to be.

I don't want to compare him to Loaiza either. Those sort of things don't happen everyday. It would be nice, but highly unlikely, like.....1 in 100. Just having a cut fastball doesn't guarantee success like Loaiza's had. Glendon Rusch proves that.

Doug Davis has a fastball, cut fastball, and a change-up, according to the Journal-Sentinel. He might have some other pitches, but I'm not too sure.

If he keeps it up, and if he holds up against the Cards and Astros, then we may have a decent #2 starter. I think that the 2004 rotation, barring injury, will be:

Ben Sheets

Doug Davis

Matt Kinney

Wayne Franklin

Luis Martinez

This is probably going to be thebest rotation we've had in a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If he keeps it up, and if he holds up against the Cards and Astros, then we may have a decent #2 starter.

Well clancy, at least I got you to admit that much. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif I like what I see from Davis so far, I'm just trying to temper a lot of enthusiasm with some reality.

Archived