Brewer Fanatic

9/02/03 - Reds (Wilson) @ Brewers (Obermueller)

squarepusher

.....because to me, I see a lot of managers that make rather odd baseball decisions, yet are widely recognized as quality skippers. Now let's see if I can find someone that was Yost's mentor that might match that description.....oh yeah - Bobby Cox. I think every fan that has seen the Braves in the postseason will agree that Cox game decisions are a bit scrambled. However, he has proven to be an excellent manager of ballplayers - making the whole greater than the sum of its parts.

Simply, Yost's ability to craft quality seasons out of players like Pods and Kolb is as much a testement to the skills of Yost as anything else. To call Yost brain dead may seem to be warrented when looking at single decisions solely. However, when looking at the sum of Yost's parts, calling him brain dead is fully UNwarrented.

Other than Clayton, Yost's moves tend to be pretty standard, other than things like letting Burba sit in the bullpen for 3+ weeks...gee, wonder why he was ineffective last night?

His love for veteran-ness, like EY and Royce, is his downfall. He allows his emotions affect his strategic moves...which is pitiful.

Overall, I think it's safe to say Yost has won as many games as he can in 2003. Is he costing us time and money by not getting Hall playing time, to properly judge him and allowing him to develop?

No doubt.

Just a couple thought from my first Brewers game of the year.

Got to watch it from the company luxury box. Man, that's the only way to watch a game! Park in the front row and get tons of food and free drinks. The usher near us was really friendly and talked to us the whole game (nothing else for him to do).

It was the smallest crowd ever at Miller Park, 8700. We did our part to make noise, but it would help to have the Buckethead Brigade closer to the action.

Conti does have a cannon, but he's lost at the plate. How many pitches in the dirt can you swing at?

Obermueller doesn't have great stuff, but he's effective. Yost must love him and how he "battles" out there.

Viz appears looks a lot better. He still was a bit wild at times, but he looked good.

Kolb hit 99 on the gun a couple times. Can he keep it up next year?

Certainly was an entertaining game, especially that one play. Ginter late getting to 2nd and Perez's throw goes into the outfield, throw to 3rd gets past Helms, but Obermueller backs up the play and Perez makes the tag at home. What a wild play.

In general i think for the majority of managers,they only play a minor role in a teams final record based on the moves they make.Managing a teams lockeroom and personalities is as important as the moves they make,but in the end baseball is pretty much a one on one sport.Good players make a manager look good,ask Joe Torre.

As much as I dislike Clayton's offense, the difference between his and Hall's defense is night and day.

Brian, I find that hard to believe, considering Hall has made half an out more a game than Clayton, based on range factor. Granted, Royce has a better zone rating and fielding percentage, but what can you judge by watching 5 games? Royce is out there because he was once a fine SS. Now, he isn't, and is still living off the legend of his veteranness.

Archived