Brewer Fanatic

9/02/03 - Reds (Wilson) @ Brewers (Obermueller)

squarepusher

7:05 PM, CST

TV: WCGV-24

Radio: WTMJ 620

Your Milwaukee Brewers try to bounce back from yesterday's heartbreaker, as they try to take game 2 of 3 and even up the series with the Cincinnati Reds.

Brewerfan.net / Statfox matchup info:

www.brewerfan.net/matchup.jsp

Wes Obermueller Player Profile:

www.brewerfan.net/ViewPlayerProfile.do?playerId=590

Yahoo! Sports Preview:

sports.yahoo.com/mlb/preview?gid=230902108

CNNSi.com Preview:

sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/previews/2003/09/02/4277_preview.html

FoxSports.com Preview:

www.foxsports.com/named/FS/MLB/preview?gameId=230902108

CBSSportsline.com Preview:

www.sportsline.com/mlb/gamecenter/preview/MLB_20030902_CIN@MIL

Milwaukeebrewers.com Preview:

milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com...

SportsTicker Game Preview:

Cincinnati (60-77) at Milwaukee (60-77) 8:05 pm EDT

----------------------------------------------------------------

MILWAUKEE (Ticker) -- The Milwaukee Brewers try to avoid

consecutive losses for the first time in over two weeks as they

continue a three-game series with the Cincinnati Reds on

Tuesday.

The Brewers have not had a losing streak since dropping three

straight from August 13-15. They have won 12 of their last 14

home games.

The Reds snapped Milwaukee's seven-game home winning streak with

Monday's 5-4 victory. Rookie Tim Hummel homered and had an RBI

single, while Ryan Freel and Wily Mo Pena added solo shots.

Milwaukee's Richie Sexson had an RBI base hit, increasing his

total to 102.

Wes Obermueller (0-4, 4.71 ERA) makes his seventh start of the

season for the Brewers and again seeks his first career victory.

He did not get a decision in Thursday's victory at Cincinnati

after allowing two runs and eight hits in 5 1/3 innings.

The Brewers have won Obermueller's last three starts and are 2-4

when he's on the mound.

Paul Wilson (8-10, 4.62) makes his team-leading 28th start for

the Reds. He is 2-0 in his last three starts, allowing six runs

and 17 hits in 19 innings.

Wilson opposed Obermueller on Thursday and allowed two runs and

seven hits in seven innings.

The righthander is 0-1 with a 4.76 ERA in three lifetime starts

vs. the Brewers.

The Brewers have won Obermueller's last three starts and are 2-4

wait, that's some awefully creative math. I think they are counting his relief appearance for Sheets, but it's funny to see they've "won his last 3 starts" yet only have 2 wins when he starts

Bid'ness as usual:
 CINCINNATI AT MILWAUKEE -- LINEUPS CINCINNATI MILWAUKEE AVG HR RBI AVG HR RBI Ryan Freel CF .270 3 6 Scott Podsednik CF .316 6 44 Juan Castro SS .256 9 31 Keith Ginter 2B .264 10 32 D'Angelo Jimenez 2B .309 4 17 Brady Clark LF .307 3 34 Russell Branyan 1B .215 6 16 Richie Sexson 1B .265 36 102 Tim Hummel 3B .316 1 4 John Vander Wal RF .261 14 44 Dernell Stenson LF .297 2 5 Wes Helms 3B .251 19 58 Jason Larue C .226 15 45 Eddie Perez C .266 9 40 Wily Mo Pena RF .175 1 5 Royce Clayton SS .222 11 36 Paul Wilson RHP .120 0 1 Wes Obermueller RHP .167 0 1 (8-10, 4.62) (0-4, 4.71) 

~Bill

Nice to see Ginter free, ain't it?

Inexpensive, in his prime, and better than league average. He is the epitome of what we need to be looking for, not expensive FA's who are below] league average for their positions.

And to think, we had to defend Keith after a small sample to folks who have trouble comprehending the fact 80 AB's means less than noth

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Inexpensive, in his prime, and better than league average. He is the epitome of what we need to be looking for, not expensive FA's who are below] league average for their positions.

I've got a few ideas who that was targeted at Al, (not me, no one reads my posts!! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif ) and I'll agree with you, to an extent. Al, and a lot of guys here are advocates of going cheap, and I agree, with guys like Ginter, Obermueller, Podsednik, and even Doug Davis. Cheap and young, not cheap and 30+. I don't mind going cheap if I know it's going somewhere, and the guy in mind has at least some sort of ceiling, or at least the ability to be a league average guy.

Good start to the game, nice 3 run lead for Wes right off the bat.

Brian (or someone else),

Can you fix the link in the first post of the thread? It's making the screen require a horizontal scroll... just check the "convert URL links" thing and it should make it shorter.

Thanks ya',

~Bill

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Ok, now I know Schroder's down right dumb, but as he's talking about guys trying to play their way onto the team next year, he mentions Keith Ginter? He hasn't done enough yet that he still has to "fight" for a spot. I know it's just Schroeder, and no one with any influence, but cripes.

jakesdaddio, welcome! You're going to fit in very well around here. You have successfully posed one of the Zen Riddles of Brewerdom. Some others:

If a million dollar, 36 year-old shortstop takes a lunging, uppercut swing, and the pitch is nowhere near him, does he make a sound?

What is the sound of one roster spot rotting?

Greg.

What is the sound of one roster spot rotting?

Was that a reference to Enrique Cruz? If not make that ....the sound of TWO roster spots rotting....

gotta watch out for us OS X users

My condolances Bill, I didn't know you were one of the handicapped. Don't despair, by the time OS MX is out Apple would have caught up with Windows 2000.

As much as I dislike Clayton's offense, the difference between his and Hall's defense is night and day.

I really don't think Hall's ready to be an everyday MLB SS, but I suppose, what do we really have to lose? There was a reason he was moved to 2B.

I've enjoyed watching Clayton field his position this year, but it's definately time to get some more offense out of that position. Hopefully in 2005 we'll be able to finally have an SS who can hit AND field.

Billy Clayton = JJ Hardy

My condolances Bill, I didn't know you were one of the handicapped. Don't despair, by the time OS MX is out Apple would have caught up with Windows 2000.

LOL... keep dreaming. Any *nix OS this pretty is good enough for me, regardless.

Anyway, I don't want to get into that debate... how 'bout this one:

Is Enrique Cruz alive?

I've seen pictures of him, or someone purportedly him, but I can't be sure. His last plate apperance was on August 13th. He got a total of 4 plate appearances in the month of August. That's following a month of June wherein he received 11 plate appearances. He hasn't received a start since July 13th.

So... is he alive?

~Bill

Gotta love those Bucketheads. I am watching the game and the fans around homeplate are just sitting on their hands. Egad, show a pulse! Eddie rips a opposite field double and the bucketheads show the love, the rest of the fans look like Milwaukee Bucks season ticket holders. lol!

I think I may have to let down the walls and go join the crazies in section 230-something next Tuesday night.

Let's go DANNY!!

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/happy.gif

Riddle me this batman, is there any evidence that Ned Yost's brain is alive.

LOL... I'm not sure. Sometimes it seems like he's just an android programmed to repeat the word "battle" in different contexts. I hope that Melvin takes an active role in dictating how the on-field product is managed... he doesn't have to tell Yost when to put on a sacrifice or send a runner, but providing some guidance on playing time or overall philosophy would be nice.

That is assuming Melvin feels differently about these things than Yost does, of course. And while I have a feeling that's true, I don't really have any evidence.

~Bill

Archived