Brewer Fanatic

9/08/03 - Astros (Oswalt) @ Brewers (Franklin)

squarepusher

This is going to be an interesting series... if the Crew bounces back and pillages the 'stros, they'll be *helping* the Cubs. That really sucks.

Anyway, I'd guess attendance will be in the 12k range for each game of the series, with tonight's being a little less (Monday Night Football).

~Bill

This could be the last meaningful series of the year for the Brewers. They're not going to go to the playoffs anyways, but they could be guaranteed a losing record and possibly be eliminated from the playoffs if they perform poorly in this series. Granted, I think it's inevitable, but it would be nice if they bounce back from the Cubs series and play well with their backs against the wall.

Robert

I for one was excited to see Brooks played yesterday. With our crowded bullpen, I think he's an excellent option for LF. He has more pop than any other, walks a fair amount, etc. His defense might hurt us, but that's what a late inning defensive replacement (conti) is for

Why do I see Wayne Franklin's name in all of the projected starting rotations posted here for 2004? So we can see more of the most baserunners allowed in all of baseball this year?

I just want to thank Wayne for making my choice to flip over to Helena playoff baseball easy tonight.

Why do I see Wayne Franklin's name in all of the projected starting rotations posted here for 2004?

great point mass...what has he done to earn a guaranteed starting spot next year?

i mean, he is basically the left handed jimmy haynes....

ive appreciated what he he has accomplished this year..and he is a bit of good story...but there has got to be a good young pitcher somewhere that is being blocked...

i think wayne would make a better long man....or middle reliever

or anything...than guaranteed a starting spot next year

oh yeah...check out how eerily similar jamey wright is to wayne...his 2002 season was quite like wayne's 2003 has been

"Why do I see Wayne Franklin's name in all of the projected starting rotations posted here for 2004...there has got to be a good young pitcher somewhere that is being blocked... "

Well, my sources say that Ruben Quevedo ate 4 grande burritos in the 3rd inning today, so HE may be blocked. Oh yeah, I forgot...he's not a "good young pitcher."

"I just want to thank Wayne for making my choice to flip over to Helena playoff baseball easy tonight."

No kidding, MassBrew? I don't imagine that anyone outside Montana, whichever city they were playing, and relatives of the players tuned in to that game. Hey, at least you gave the majors first crack.

And while I'm in no position to say so, with Tennessee benefitting from all those penalties against the Raiders to beat us, watching the Helena game sure beats watching a replay of the Patriots game! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

I think Franklin probably has my vote because of the team's winning record when he pitches. If Davis or others are better, then fine. But unless we have something better, he's at least adequate for the back end of the rotation.

No kidding, MassBrew? I don't imagine that anyone outside Montana, whichever city they were playing, and relatives of the players tuned in to that game. Hey, at least you gave the majors first crack.

Geno, I wish you chose to grace Brewerfan's Minor League Forum and chime in there more often (it's actually more heavily visited than the Major League Forum). You'd find recent threads on the decisions to eliminate the fall instructionals and the Dominican program, both issues that (perhaps) relate to the budgetary spending (or lack there-of) you so rightly allude to so often.

Geno, just saying that their was absolutley a definable rush in listening to Brewer playoff baseball this weekend from Huntsville, even if it was on the AA level. I'm surprised I gave Wayne Franklin three innings of my time, actually.

And speaking of expanding your Brewerfan universe, I also wish you'd check in more often on the Off-Topic threads that suit your fancy -- surely you'd have one of your worthwhile Top 10's, this one of your "most ugly of the most beautiful", as linked here:

pub123.ezboard.com/fbrewe...=732.topic

And while I'm in no position to say so, with Tennessee benefitting from all those penalties against the Raiders to beat us, watching the Helena game sure beats watching a replay of the Patriots game!

My Patriots already took their lumps in posts in the Off-Topic forum, and as for your boys, it's always about the officials, isn't it? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Linkage:

Classic Audio Transcript

http://www.raidersrap.com/fumble0119.jpg

Please allow me to add my 3-cheers for MB's statement about Franklin. Outside of Sheets, I'm not happy with ANY of our starters, and I don't really care if they're adequate back of the rotation starters, these guys (Franklin, Davis, Kinney) are our #2 & #3 guys right now. I hope the Brewers challenge ALL of these guys in the offseason.

I too bailed on the Brewers game to listen to Helena.

One thing that should be said in defense of Franklin and Kinney is that neither have missed any starts this year due to injury. Remember when we'd have a lot of starting pitchers on the DL due to one sort of arm problem or another?

Franklin and Kinney have been out there every fifth game so far, and both should be pretty cheap next year.

I'd love to see every non-Ben-Sheets starter on the team right now (Kinney, Franklin, Obermeuller, Martinez, Davis) competing for one rotation slot and one or two bullpen slots. Face it guys, as I said in the Geno monster thread, this team is bad primarily because of the rotation. It's Sheets and a bucket of fifth starters...for, what, the tenth year running?

But of course I expect that we'll be scraping the fringes of the scrap heap again this off-season.

But of course I expect that we'll be scraping the fringes of the scrap heap again this off-season.

What do ya' mean? I hear Pedro Astacio's recovery is coming along nicely and he's looking for a 2004 contract. He might not be completely healed, but that hasn't stopped the Brewers from signing players and guaranteeing them starting positions.

One thing that should be said in defense of Franklin and Kinney is that neither have missed any starts this year due to injury. Remember when we'd have a lot of starting pitchers on the DL due to one sort of arm problem or another?

And that's the difference between a 106-loss team and a 90-95-loss team. That's NOT the difference between a good team and a crappy team. As long as the Brewers toss out replacement level for Starters #2, #3, and #4 they'll be a horrible team. That's the point.

I still think Glendon Rusch is a better option than a lot of pitchers that will be available. If he wants to sign a cheaper, incentive-laden contract, I'd be all over it. Both Kinney and Franklin have had bouts of horrible-ness just like Rusch, but they managed to snap out of it faster. Glendon's never going to be an ace, but at least we know what we're going to get with him.

As for Kinney, Franklin, Davis, Obermueller, Martinez, Burba, and all of the other merry pranksters, I'm afraid we're starting to accumulate a whole lot of "okay" pitchers and none that are actually "good". I like Wes the best out of this bunch with Martinez being a wild card... But if we've got a half dozen "okay" pitchers that are cheap, it's hard for me to believe that we'll actually go after one or two "good" ones. Make sense?

~Bill

Martinez is young and I think will improve as he gets over the jitters of being in the majors. He will eventually be a good pitcher.

Some decisions need to be made as to which of the other pitchers can be "good" and which ones "only okay".

At this point, we have one "good" pitcher (Sheets), and two that could be good (Kinney and Martinez). The rest are okay, and of those, I consider Franklin and Davis to be the best of that group (Obermueller and Rusch are a bit further back, IMO). We have a bunch of good pitchers working their way up, too (Hendrickson, Jones, Parra, Housman, Liriano, and Bruso).

It's a lot better than it was a while back, with the likes of Jamie Navarro and John Snyder in the rotation. Ugh, talk about automatic losses...

Archived