Brewer Fanatic

9/07/03 - Cubs (Wood) @ Brewers (Davis)

squarepusher

It's amazing how quick sentiments turn around on this team. Heading into the weekend, people were pretty happy.

Yeah, you're definitely right... I wish they had played better against the Cubs, but it's not like beating Cruz/Prior/Wood is easy. I was just complaining/venting about the atmosphere at the stadium... and yes, it was to be expected. But still. Until you're there, which a bunch of us apparently were, it's hard to believe how rough it is.

~Bill

Living in the Chicago suburbs and having to watch Chip Carey gloat about the Cub fans in attendance, I decided to listen to the games rather than be subjected to the Cub slant on everything.

That being said, here is the dirty little secret: Wrigley Field is a dump. For all its so-called quaintness, and ivy on the walls (the only really nice touch), it is actually a better museum piece than a functioning ballpark in 2003.

It's almost impossible to get to by car much less park. It's even worse trying to get out. I won't even mention the dank cramped concourse, ancient restrooms, and the many obstructed view seats.

Could it be that many Cub fans actually prefer a modern ballpark and all its amenities? I know a lot of them and they won't admit it but I think it has a lot to do with the migration to Miller Park. I grew up in Wisconsin but my kids were born in Ilinois. They much prefer games at Miller Park (they became Brewer fans as a result too!)

Archived