Brewer Fanatic

8/21/2003 Phillies (Padilla) @ Brewers (Davis)

squarepusher

He might have gone one batter to long with Davis on a very hot day. Then again Bowa might have done the same with Padilla.

In watching MLB.com gameday where pitch location is shown before the result is known, I was almost certain Ginter had homered when I saw the location and it marked "hit into play". He never misses in there.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, Jason Conti gunned down Michaels at the plate after Jimmy Rollins singled. Assist #21 between Indianapolis and Milwaukee for Jason Conti this year.

EDIT:

Did Scotty Podsednik just get an assist as well?

Will it be Geoff's turn in the ninth?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Let me re-phrase my post.

I'd like to have Brady start as well, but I can understand the logic. Conti gunned out the tying run at the plate so it was a good move in retrospect (at the end of eight innings anyway).

EDIT: Well now that he's hit a two run dinger I'd say it was a GREAT move in retrospect. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Yes, that would be an assist for Pods...his 2nd of the year, unless I missed one in the last week.

Conti just hit a HR, by the way. As I've said a couple times lately, the difference between a veteran AAA player and a major league reserve is 90% opportunity, with a lot of "gritty" and "scrappy" mixed in for good measure.

He also added two more runs.

Took Turk Wendell DEEP.

I think we got the sweep...

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Am I the only one who find's Al's love of Conti to be at once charming (touching almost) and yet peculiar? He did good today...still, a .285 OBP and 5 K's per walk for a 28-year old in AAA don't normally float my boat. His previous minor league stats are better, but his resume also includes time in parks and leagues like High Desert / Cal League, Tulsa / Texas League, and Tucson / PCL...

Yes, there are worse players drawing major league paychecks...but if you're going to beat the drum for underutilized talent, I'm not sure Conti is the best stick.

SoCalBrewfan

The way I see it, for a 5th OF, Conti is probably perfect. Superb defense (Jason Michaels found out about THAT today), some pop (ask Turk Wendell), and decent speed (13 SB in AAA) and he plays att three OF positions.

If he's starting every day, or even in a platoon, then some manager is in trouble, but as a reserve, he's pretty good. Of course, EVERYONE in Indy has been having a rough go of it offensively this year, so Conti shouldn't be singled out, IMHO.

If he and Brady Clark are the reserves next year, I won't complain too much.

If he and Brady Clark are the reserves next year, I won't complain too much.

I will!~

ive got no problem with one of the reserve outfeilders being a light hitting good d with speed guy..but i think its importnat to have a 4th outfeilder who can get 350 ab's without being a mile below average

theres plenty of guys like stairs or vander wal that would be a better option than having conti AND clark on the team at the same time

Besides, if the team really wants a strong defending no hit outfeilder, why dont they grab one in the rule 5...that way at least there is a chance at the player developing

Archived