Brewer Fanatic

8/21/2003 Phillies (Padilla) @ Brewers (Davis)

squarepusher

1:05 CST start time for this one, if you're looking for some entertainment during your work day.

Doug Davis tries to get his first win as a Brewer in his 2nd start of the year for the Crew. He had a decent outing and picked up a no decision against Pittsburgh, going 6 IP with 2 ER on 6 H. He walked 4, but struck out 5, pitching out of some jams.

Vincente Padilla's last two starts have been rough, going less than 6 IP in each of them, and giving up no fewer than 4 runs in each. This is Padilla's first start against the Brewers this year, shutting out the Brewers in his only other career matchup.

Brewerfan.net / Statfox matchup info:

www.brewerfan.net/matchup.jsp

Doug Davis Player Profile:

www.brewerfan.net/ViewPla...ayerId=600

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody hear why Helms hasn't been activated? I thought the plan was one rehab game and back today.

Also is Ned trying to protect draft position by playing Conti instead of Clark? That bottom of the order may be weakest I've seen all year with Conti, Perez (is hitting about .140 since the all star break) and Clayton who exhausted his weekly hit total in one game yesterday.

Helms is spending one more day with Indy because today's game was a day game. He'll rejoin the team tomorrow.

Today's Lineups:

PHILADELPHIA AT MILWAUKEE -- LINEUPS PHILADELPHIA MILWAUKEE AVG HR RBI AVG HR RBI Marlon Byrd CF .290 5 28 Scott Podsednik CF .308 4 34 Placido Polanco 3B .300 12 55 Bill Hall 2B .235 0 4 Bobby Abreu RF .301 19 84 Geoff Jenkins LF .283 23 82 Mike Lieberthal C .319 7 54 Richie Sexson 1B .269 34 91 Jim Thome 1B .262 34 96 Keith Ginter 3B .275 9 29 Jason Michaels LF .309 3 10 Jason Conti RF .167 0 0 Jimmy Rollins SS .259 6 47 Eddie Perez C .272 9 40 Tomas Perez 2B .295 2 21 Royce Clayton SS .216 11 33 Vicente Padilla RHP .080 0 1 Doug Davis LHP .000 0 0 (11-8, 3.85) (0-0, 3.00) 

Just checked the airline schedules to be sure but Midwest has a flight departing Indy at 8:50 arriving in Milwaukee at 9:50. Now since they knew when he was getting off the DL, they should have been able to book him on that flight ahead of time and get him to Miller Park in plenty of time.

Of course he might of had to crawl out of bed around 6 and actually fly like the rest of us but Indianapolis is not like going through O'hare.

I'm betting the traveling secretary goofed up and they are covering for him. Maybe they should hire George Kostanza?

Can't wait for him to get back. Ginter's made two errors already today. Get Helms back at third, move Ginter to second, and Hall to shortstop.

I hope that you are right....this team is almost worth watching with some youth on the infield. Bill Hall's bat is getting in gear given some regular playing time. Come on Ned, do the right thing, and send Royce to bench when Helms comes back!

Wow, 13 pitch AB. He eventually flied out, but I'll take an AB like that against the starting pitcher every time. The starter wouldn't be able to get out of the 3rd inning http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

A run scored when Sexson hit into what appears to be a reverse double play. Pursuant to Rule 10.04(b), a player is not credited with a RBI if he hits into a fielder's choice double play or reverse double play.

When a RBI is credited to a player hitting into a fielder's choice that only results in only one out, it seems awfully punitive to not credit the player with a RBI because of the extra out.

Anyone know what the rationale for this is?

My bad. The flight leaving Columbus departs at 8:40 and takes 5 minutes longer than from Indy.

I was thinking more of Helms at third, Hall at short and Ginter at second. Besides that improvement, they would have sent Conti back down to make room for him (or put Vandy on DL) and would have Clark in the lineup.

"A run scored when Sexson hit into what appears to be a reverse double play. Pursuant to Rule 10.04(b), a player is not credited with a RBI if he hits into a fielder's choice double play or reverse double play.

When a RBI is credited to a player hitting into a fielder's choice that only results in only one out, it seems awfully punitive to not credit the player with a RBI because of the extra out.

Anyone know what the rationale for this is?"

Sexson hit into a fielder's choice, not a double play. Why wouldn't he get an RBI?

I think the rule says "hits into a force double play", not a "fielder's choice double play". I believe the rationale for not scoring an RBI on a double play, is that teams would always be glad to trade an out for a run, but most of the time teams would not trade two outs for a run.

My scoring question is: if a batter doesn't get an AB for a sac fly, why does he get an AB for a ground out that scores a run? Same result in both cases.

A run scored when Sexson hit into what appears to be a reverse double play. Pursuant to Rule 10.04(b), a player is not credited with a RBI if he hits into a fielder's choice double play or reverse double play.

I've been in a meeting. First, what happened on the play in question? Second, what the hell is a reverse double play? Is that when the first baseman touches first and throws to second for the tag?

p.s. According to Yahoo!, he was credited with the RBI.

I can't say that I'm really sure as to what happened because I'm following the game on the internet. But with bases loaded, I think that Sexson hit a ball to the infield and the runners going to third and second were forced out, while the runner on third scored. Sexson was not credited with a RBI.

I think the above scenario is the reverse double play referred to in rule 10.04. If it's not, I have no idea what a reverse double play is.

First, what happened on the play in question?

Sexson hit into a force play with one out, barely beating the throw to first. Hall scored on the play.

Second, what the hell is a reverse double play? Is that when the first baseman touches first and throws to second for the tag?

I believe that's it exactly.

"But with bases loaded, I think that Sexson hit a ball to the infield and the runners going to third and second were forced out, while the runner on third scored."

Runners were at first and third. Only one out was recorded on the play.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Conti bats left and Padilla is a rightie. With Vandy hurting it makes sense, although I wouldn't mind seeing Brooks get a start in right and see what he can do with four or five at bats.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived