Brewer Fanatic

8/26/03 - Brewers (Davis) @ Reds (Serafini)

squarepusher

Two against the reds, and 2 against the (bleepy) Cubs!!!!

SPAULDING!!! LANGUAGE!!!!!

While I would like to share in the optimism about Davis, take a look at the lineup that Cincy paraded out tonight and you'll see that one run on four hits really isn't that great of a feat. But I'll take it. Weak Cincy team (as well as demoralized) could easily lead to a 10-game streak heading back to Milwaukee. This weekend's games could be the most incredible and exciting thing we've seen from the Brewers during football season in 20 years.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JimH5 wrote:

... why did Ned leave him in for 126 pitches? That's just plain abusive. . .

Well, I'm no pitching coach, but I'd guess the logic may have been:

1. He was showing no signs of wearing down.

2. Each of his innings was pretty easy; no jams to speak of.

3. He really doesn't throw that hard.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I am not going to get too stressed out about the pitch counts of elderly 5th starters. If this was a young pitcher such as Sheets, or one of the prospects, heads would be rolling. I'm glad that Ned is making distinctions between pieces of the future and pieces off of the scrap heap.

I am not going to get too stressed out about the pitch counts of elderly 5th starters.

To note, Davis is only about one year and 3 months older than Wes Obermueller, and less than a year older than Ginter, Helms, or Podsednik. For even more perspective, he's more than a year younger than Derek Lee. Governor Doug turns 28 late in September. Betcha didn't know that.

19 innings is to little example of what he will be like especially when changin leagues. Hitters are dont have the advantage when seeing a new pitcher.

And btw I am so sick and tired of people who know nothing about pitching complaining about pitch counts...he doesnt have a complicated delivery and he has good mechanics, he also doesnt throw many sliders its seems mostly changeups and fastballs.

And i did know he turned 28 next month, I actually watch the games......unlike some people who just here theres a streak and jump on the bandwagon

DONT GET ME STARTED ON ESPNS HIGHLIGHTS

[ Anyone know why was Doug Davis released by two teams this year? He couldn't have been that bad, especially for the Rangers. ]

I'm not sure why he was released by Texas, but Toronto tried to DFA him to get him to AAA and make him into a reliever. Davis decided he didn't want to follow that path and chose to be a free agent.

Davis was hampered for much of his career by playing in Texas. Which gave him the trifecta of suspect defense, an offensive ballpark, and the DH. Expecting him to post an ERA of 4 isn't entirely unrealistic. I wonder if anybody out there is calling Doug about Doug?

On a related note the next ex-Texan on the list could be a certain catcher.

One has to wonder if this winning streak is affecting how Richie and Geoff are viewing Milwaukee. And if the person who igor67 seems to be mentioning in a roundabout fashion does come to Milwaukee, we could end up KEEPING Jenkins and Sexson.

Anyone who performs decently as the Brewer 4th or 5th starter deserves a bandwagon. September will increase his sample size; I hope Davis deserves the chance to win a job in spring training.

I don't think 126 pitches in one game where a pitcher looks good is too much. It's 130-plus game in and game out where the guy struggles that I'd worry.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I'll be optimistic on Davis, why not? Sure he was terrible in his stint with the Rangers. MLB is filled with players (especially pitchers) who are late bloomers. He may have learned some lessons in Texas, worked on a few things, etc. Franklin and Kinney came out of nowhere (more or less) as well. Pods is a great example for a position player. If Seattle knew he would hit .315 with 40 SB they would have kept him.

If nothing else, it's nice to know the Brewers are starting to assemble guys to compete for the #4 and #5 slots. It was only a couple months ago they really had nobody.

Archived