Brewer Fanatic

07/14 HomeRun Derby

thebruce44

Thought I would start a HR Derby topic so things don't get messy on the message board.

Anyways, Karl Ravich gave Sexon some love when he picked him to win the derby. I wasn't expecting that.

And whats the deal with this concert. Why do they always have concerts now? At least this one isn't as bad as Bon Jovi was during the ending of the Super Bowl.

That was the Ataris doing their "Boys of Summer" cover. Good stuff. I think it would be cool if they let them play while the guys are hitting... the kids would dig it and the music would drown out Berman.

Was all that editorial commentary really necessary? He was supposed to be doing the intros, not a standup comedy routine.

Anyway, this should be fun to watch. The bad thing about Comiskey is that there's not really any architectural features... like scoreboard and Bernie's Dugout at Miller Park, the Green Monster at Fenway, the upper decks at Skydome/Three Rivers, etc.

I've got Giambi over Sexson in the finals.

~Bill

Could the crowd be any more dead? Man, I've seen more lively gatherings at County Stadium on a 40 degree night in early April.

They're probably upset that neither Corky nor The Big DH are in the derby.

What's up with the camera angles that don't show the ball, only the player watching it? And how about the train wreck that is a Berman broadcast? If he interrupts Giambi or ARod again, I might have to turn off the sound.

On a brighter note, Garret is smoking some beauties deep to right.

Jeez.

~Bill

What's up with the camera angles that don't show the ball, only the player watching it?

Yeah, is it the 1950's again where they show the hitter and not the ball? I know retro is in, but this is ridiculous. Show the frickin' hits you butt-nuggets!

Thats it...Ive seen enough of Richie. Maybe a team would TAKE him off our hands as part of a filler in a future John Vander Wal deal. Nothing more than a PTBNL...should be Sexsons nicname. What a bum.

On second thought, at least he hit ONE. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif (im teasing about the "bum" statements by the way...though I wouldn't wince if he were traded)

Well, one homer is not too good. But at least he didn't get shut out, or WHIFF, like Boone.

Hopefully he and Jenks can do something productive in the All Star game(if they get in(I assume Sexson will, Jenks might not)) unlike past Brewers in the game.

It's only the first round, but so far this event seems like a dud.

1. The crowd seems dead

2. The camera work is terrible

3. Chris Berman looked tired and disorganized during the introductions

4. No tape measure blasts ( No oooohs and aaaaahs )

5. Bad ballpark for a HR Derrby . . . no upper deck or other targets.

6. No Bonds. Sosa, or McGwire types.

I think they need to use fake baseballs that carry like golf balls.

BRING OUT THE CORKED BATS !!

http://www.brewerfan.net/images/other/ajay.jpg

BRING OUT THE CORKED BATS !!

You know, there could be something to that. Just coincidental that Sammy got busted earlier this year and there's no "tape-measure shots".

5. Bad ballpark for a HR Derby . . . no upper deck or other targets.

Exatctly. People "ooh" and "aah" at upper deck shots. Some of those may have been, but when you have one section of seats that goes back 30 rows, it never looks as deep as an upper deck shot.

Yes, Miller Park cost a lot more than planned, but it could be worse - they could have built a ballpark the same time as the "new" Comiskey (late 80's/early 90's) and it could have cost a lot less, but they would have a ballpark that's not even 15 years old and already outdated and useless and still owe money on it.

Maybe players (and critics/media) will see that Miller Park is a much better ballpark than they gave it credit for being.

I just got home during the Pujols onslaught and turned the sound off immediately. Chris Berman is the definition of "tired act".

His constant phrase of NFC Norris during football highlights to describe the Packers' division is stale. There hasn't been a Norris Division in hockey for years.

Thanks for saving me the time of watching the tape on Richie. I set it to record just in case this morning.

I as well as everyone know how good these guys are based on the past three years, yet they are still mostly underated

Garret Anderson and Albert Pujols

Neither guy gets the media attention they deserve and you know what, they dont want it. These two athletes are like the Tim Duncans of sports. Keep your mouth shut and play the game.

Very good guys (so was Kobe), no longer underated as they can hit homers effortlessly and many directions. Not just hitting to one area really, they kind of went all over, showing their range and their abilities. Very impressive.

Maybe Ben Sheets should have pitched to Sexson in the homerun competition. Sheets is the leader in most HR's given up so far.

http://www.brewerfan.net/images/other/ajay.jpg

I really used to like Berman back in the 80s and early 90s. His Bermanisms were pretty edgy and smart and daring for their time. But for the past 10 years, I've just grown sick of the whole tired act.

He comes across as a know-it-all, but without any of the knowledge.

And yet, somehow, ESPN always seems to give him big events.

And he seems to be protected from any kind of criticism from Tony Kornheiser or The Sports Guy Bill Simmons (Page Two)--both of whom would skewer him.

I guess he does a decent job on NFL stuff, but outside of that, he's just a sweaty loudmouth with a bad haircut, looking at the wrong camera.

Provisional Member

I don't disagree with the anti-Berman comments, but I think his nickname for the NFC Central is "Norse" (not Norris)... Norse as in "north"...

Shame about Richie... would have been nice to pick up a little national attention. Maybe tomorrow night when it counts - or sort of counts.

Nope......it's NFC Norris. He explained it a long time ago because both the NFC Central and Norris Division in hockey had mediocre teams and were in the same geographic area. He continues to call it the Norris even though most of the population has no idea what he's talking about.

Archived