Brewer Fanatic

07/10 Pirates (Suppan) at Brewers (Ford)

squarepusher

I missed that info from the box score, MB, thanks.

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Both those moves were hellishly bad. So by PHing Brooks in the 8th, we could have PH VW in the 9th, and if walked and a lefty brought in to face Brooks, EY would have still been on the bench...

Ned, what was ya thinking?

So by PHing Brooks in the 8th, we could have PH VW in the 9th, and if walked and a lefty brought in to face Brooks, EY would have still been on the bench...

Yep, and either Cruz or Ginter could have taken over at SS if they had tied it and went into extra innings with EY taking over at 2nd.

I would rather see Burba starting right now then Ford. Matt seemed to pitch well in 1 inning situations.

I think the thought process was that you don't know how many innings Ford will give you - maybe 5, maybe if he's wild and getting lit up only 2 - but you know Burba can give you at least 4 or 5 starting or relieving. So you start the inconsistent pitcher, see how long he can go, knowing that regardless of how long he can go Burba can come in and get you at least to the sixth, maybe longer.

Billy Hall seems like a natural September call-up... If he can have his average up to .280 in AAA by then, he may have worked himself into the team's 2004 plans, and might make a decent utility guy in 2005.

We can assume that Hardy will be at AAA next year, and probably the 2B they got in the KC trade too. So it's probably more useful for Hall to ride the pines at the majors than at the minors.

Forget 2005, I think Hall would be a good fit for Ginter's (and Cruz's) role next year - the backup utility infielder who can play SS or 2B. I haven't looked at his defense this year, but he can't be that much worse defensively than Cruz and I think he could perform at least to Clayton's offensive level. Assuming the Brewers won't have a winning record by July I think you'll see him getting a lot of playing time at SS after the All-Star break (or after they trade/dump Clayton).

I haven't checked what position he is playing at Indy lately - last I heard it was 2B, but if I were the organization I would have him playing at least as much SS as 2B in the second half of the season to prepare him for the utility role next year (assuming they have enough foresight to pencil in Ginter as the starting 2B for 2004 right about now).

My biggest problem with having Ford in the rotation is that it seems as though he's being set up to fail, rather than to succeed? I was at yesterday's game, and before the Middle of the Second, I had told my brother that I didn't think Ford would make it out of the 5th inning. In Ford's 5 starts to date, he hasn't pitched 5 complete innings yet. If he can't pitch 5 innings, he won't be able to win a single game as a starter! (Not that the stat really matters...as long as the Brewers manage to win those games...but they're 0-5 so far.)

The Brewers are taking a guy that they should be looking to build up for the future and slowly eroding his confidence. If they're going to keep Burba and Ford paired up, then start Burba, and at least give Ford the opportunity to win games. He pitched four great innings...and then ran out of steam.

(Maybe I'm just a bit upset because, once again, they make a pitching change after the damage has been done.)

I think commenting on Ford's pysche is a dubious process. He has struggled in his transition to starter, but he had a lot of success against all odds early in the season. Rookie pitcher almost always struggle. As long as he's not getting hammered Rusch style or throwing 2 games worth of pitches every night I'm content to watch him try and develop in more extended action. Compared to getting a couple of innings every other week it's a lot better for his development. Let the pitching coach see him more in the game, maybe he can figure out a way to get his K rate up and suddenly he'd be pretty good. All of which is to say that I don't think Ford is being set up to fail anymore than any other rookie pitcher we'd try (Cocco).

In Ford's 5 starts to date, he hasn't pitched 5 complete innings yet. If he can't pitch 5 innings, he won't be able to win a single game as a starter!

That's true. However, considering they are trying to work him from being a 1 inning every week player to an every-5-day starter I would imagine he is on a strict pitch count. Making it to 5 might take some time until he builds up his stamina.

The Brewers are taking a guy that they should be looking to build up for the future and slowly eroding his confidence.

Most rookies aren't very good their first season. Especially if they are rushed from high-A ball. It's the manager and pitching coaches job to make sure that Ford understands why they have him in the starting rotation, that they expect him to have some rough outings and considering his age and experience he's been great so far. If his psyche is so fragile, then he might as well quit now and open a bait shop. Low stress, low rewards.

But PH'ing Young for Nance in the bottom of the 8th, when you were going to bring in Kieschnick for the 9th, especially against a RH pitcher, was arguably Yost's dumbest in-game move of the season.

I've been thinking about this today, and I don't necessarily agree. If Kieshnick was going to be brought in as a pitcher, then Yost and Maddux should make sure that he's fully warmed up and not doing things like warming him up and running him in as a pinch hitter from the bullpen or letting him pinch hit and then rush to warm him up. It's easier, and probably better, to get him warmed up, have him pitch, and then have him hit. Would it have been better to have Kieshnick hit and then have him give up a run or two because he wasn't fully warmed up?

Granted, option 3, pinch hit Kieshnick and have someone else pitch might have been the better option. But, if Kieshnick does exactly like EY did, then you get to the 9th and EY would have been available to pinch hit for the pitcher instead of having Kieshnick in that spot with the ability to go into extra innings without burning out the bullpen.

OTOH, I see no excuse for Vander Wal not coming in to pinch hit for Clayton. Not with Cruz on the bench who's at least proven to be adequate at SS with the glove.

Robert

Archived