Brewer Fanatic

07/10 Pirates (Suppan) at Brewers (Ford)

squarepusher

I reallllly thought Yost should have taken Ford out after he walked Giles in the 5th. I guess Yost was more conserned with getting Ford his first major league win, and forgot that Ford had already thrown 90 pitches.

Great, Burba. O my.

Ford ruined what looked like it could be a good outing. I wonder how long the Ford starting experiment will continue. I know then it would be back to the original question: who else is there?

Provisional Member

I would rather see Burba starting right now then Ford. Matt seemed to pitch well in 1 inning situations.

His ERA as a starter is 6.56.

He was successful out of the pen...keep him there and see what Burba could do with four or five starts.

Bill Hall anyone?? Royce Clayton has been great with the glove, but his throws to first have been eratic lately. I have heard that Bill Hall is also pretty good with the glove, only his throws have been a little wild. Can Hall come in and hit .240 with some pop?? Only one way to find out. I really liked what I saw from Hall this spring in the games I saw in AZ.

He was successful out of the pen...keep him there and see what Burba could do with four or five starts.

Why? So we can win 1 or 2 more games?

Ford's potential is as a starter and I am 100% behind getting him innings and working him as a starter even if it means some bumps along the way.

Ford's potential is as a starter and I am 100% behind getting him innings and working him as a starter even if it means some bumps along the way.

The Brewers 5th starter is likely going to be a sore spot for the remainder of the season so it's hard to disagree with letting Matt Ford take some lumps but if he keeps struggling doesn't that defeat the Brewers original plan with Ford of building his confidence. No one will probably doubt that Ford should be in minors getting his wings as a starter but as far is winning is concerned, Matt Ford probably isn't the best # 5 starter in the system but as long as he doesn't completely fall on his face I don't mind seeing him take the ball every 5 days...as long as David Manning and Pasqual Coco don't mind either.

With regards to pinch-hitting for Clayton in the 9th:

I don't know if Pittsburgh had anyone up in the pen or who they had available, but my guess is that Ned decided he preferred Clayton facing a guy who had already thrown 120 pitches and probably was tiring instead of VDW facing whatever lefty they would have brought in. I'm not saying I agree with that decision, I'm just guessing that was what he was thinking.

His ERA as a starter is 6.56.

Are you kidding me? You are making a judgement on him after only 19.1 innings as a starter?? Al, tell this guy a thing or two about sample size. After pitching about that many innings to start the year, Wayne Franklin had an ERA around 8.

While I completely agree with your sample size argument, it cuts both ways. If you are going to throw out his stats as a starter due to only 19 IP, don't you also have to throw out his stats as a reliever in only 29 IP? My guess is that he's somewhere in between the two and allowing him to keep starting for a while longer won't hurt. But if this continues through the end of July then they might as well give someone like Coco or Obermueller a shot.

I'm worried about what being a poor starter will do to the young man's (Ford) psyche. While I'm the first to say 19 innings is a small sample, Ford is 22 and was in high A last year. Our #1 goal is to protect him and set him up for success.

As long as we limit him to 80-90 pitches or so, I'm OK with using Matt as our 5th starter, unless he embarasses himself. Truthfully though, I'd continue to utilize him in low leverage (with a medium leverage appearance mixed in once every couple weeks) situations.

Well i like to see Ginter more playing time.I think we won"t see that until EY is Moved.

Ey has to play to increase his value.I also think Matt Ford sould remain in the Rotation That is a way to see what he has.Let give the kid some time.

Clayton is in trouble if his fielding slips.

Don't we have anyone to pinch-hit for Clayton? Already used up Young when Kieschnick was already coming in to the game anyways, but where's VanderWal today?

That sure was frustrating. With first base open, if VanderWal had PH for Clayton, he surely would have been walked, leaving Kieschnick to face Suppan (133 pitches), or more likely, Sauerbeck, I guess.

But PH'ing Young for Nance in the bottom of the 8th, when you were going to bring in Kieschnick for the 9th, especially against a RH pitcher, was arguably Yost's dumbest in-game move of the season.

* sigh *

Archived