Brewer Fanatic

07/15 All Star Game - NL @ AL

Nah...clearly they served sedatives with the beer because this crowd is completely subdued. Do they realize that they are watching an all-star game? I like how Tim McCarver glossed it over by saying they are "quiet but anticipatory." I would be less afraid of fans coming out of the stands and more afraid of a foul ball striking a sleeping fan.

Or good god, a pitch coming at my head....

Edit: to repair the spelling on "glossed." It looked too much like SOLVDD.

What happened to the new AL and NL uniforms I thought they were going to wear?

They must have realized how stupid that was, now only if they can make the same realization regarding the DH...

I wasn't worried about attackers jumping out of the stands, the guys who have done that are filthy white trash that don't have the money (they wasted it on meth and Natrural Ice) or connections to score all star game tickets, so that pretty much SOLVDD that problem.

Yeah, last year was sweet, too. I guess I just came in with really low expectations this year... and being at the game last year, it is a different experience.

Mike Scioscia flat-out out-managed Dusty Baker. Sure, Dusty couldn't have expected that Gagne and Wagner would struggle but Scioscia setup the matchups he wanted and it paid off. Kudos to Hank Blalock for a great debut... this kid is awesome and it was fitting for him to bust onto the national scene with a game-winning bomb. Garret Anderson should be MVP... he played a fantastic game.

I was expecting to be underwhelmed but this was one of the best games of any kind I've seen all year.

Wanna bet Bud doesn't get any credit, nonetheless?

~Bill

I am very happy for Bud Selig. The fact that this game counted for something made that comeback seem even more dramatic and made it more interesting.

This is great for the game of baseball.

http://www.brewerfan.net/images/other/ajay.jpg

As a Brewers fan, I would have loved to see Jenkins get in the game. Especially at the very end when it looked like a homerun could have tied the game for the NL. However, considering that there was no other Padre in the game, I can't fault Baker for putting in Rondell White over Jenkins. At least you give the Padres fans something to get excited about. We got to see Sexson play at least.

Although it was disappointing for Brewers fans, it was probably better for the game as a whole.

http://www.brewerfan.net/images/other/ajay.jpg

I'm sorry, but Bud Selig is a friggin idiot. Did anyone see what his comment was when asked why the team with the best overall record couldn't have the homefield advantage in the World Series? He said that getting hotel rooms on that short of notice was too difficult and that it wouldn't work.

What???? So is Bud saying that he knows which team is going to represent the AL in the Series right now, and get those hotel rooms reserved? One of the dumbest things I've heard anyone say.

What???? So is Bud saying that he knows which team is going to represent the AL in the Series right now, and get those hotel rooms reserved? One of the dumbest things I've heard anyone say.

What else can he say since awarding HFA to an exibition game winner vs best record can't be defended by any logical arguement,so you make one up.

Selig has been a decent comish in my opinion,he done some good things and had some things backfire on him.I think his biggest problem is hes not media savy and comes accross bad on TV.A guy like David Stern is just smooth as silk,he can spin a negative situation as good as anyone.Selig just has that dracula look about him and never underestimate imagine with the public.It matters often how you look and say something as much as what you say.

Selig really is not a bad commissioner. He has made a lot of accomplishments since 1994. The problem is the players/player's union loathes him, so the media which has to remain on good terms with the players more than it does with baseball's administration takes the player's side by taking shots at Selig whenever possible.

In fact Tommy Lasorda was on 670 AM in Chicago yesterday and he said that all the other managers he has spoken with like Selig as well

Selig has been a decent comish in my opinion,he done some good things and had some things backfire on him.I think his biggest problem is hes not media savy and comes accross bad on TV.

It's possible that with some better media relations/interactions he might have avoided a lot of the pack mentality by the press to attach him. However, his choice has always had some fundamental problems. Noone can question Selig's love for the game, but he is the owner of one of the worst organizations in baseball (bottom 3) and to promote him to commissioner/head of baseball causes major credibility problems when trying to make major changes. Imagine taking the apartment manager of the worst building you've lived in and made them director of HUD. Imagine taking the most incompetant boss you have ever had and make them President of the US. Imagine taking the head of the worst performing division within a large company and making them CEO. Selig has always had a credibility gap because his organization has done so poorly. Bud lacks credibility when he says the problems with small markets are more revenue sharing when his small market team can't succeed even with larger budgets than teams like Oakland and Minnesota. If MLB had chosen a successful owner from a small market, they would instantly have more credibility than Bud ever will. You don't put one of the worst people in your group as head and expect to get great PR and have your business plans go unquestioed. If MLB was a company, it's stock would have gone into freefall when Bud was announced as commissioner. He will never be able to get away from his lack of legitimacy, but I do agree a better repoire with the media would have made it easier.

While initially not liking the idea of home field going to the winner, I thought I'd be open minded about it. I still don't know if it's the best method but it was a pretty interesting tool to use to keep me as interested as I was in the end of the game.

Did anyone catch Selig in the first row stuffing his mouth (and I mean stuffing) with some kind of sandwich....good old fashioned Chicago Italian Sausage, perhaps?

Does anybody have any idea what the Brewers player stats in All Star games are? Definitely no homers and the OBP or BA has to be abysmal. Add another 0 for to the list last night.

"Does anybody have any idea what the Brewers player stats in All Star games are?"

Checking out baseball-almanac.com, I come up with:

8 hits in 49 AB, for .163 average (4 runs, 1 RBI). It's from boxscores, so I can't come up with OBP, but I know there's at least 3 walks and a catcher's interference in there.

Pitchers have been more successful, with 7 hits and 2 earned runs in 10 innings. (1.80 ERA)

Other facts:

-Davey May was the first Brewer to get a plate appearance, in 1973. (Harper was a PR in 1970.)

-Don Money was the first Brewer starter, in 1978, at 2B.

-Lary Sorensen was the first Brewer to pitch, in 1978.

- Larry Hisle was the first Brewer to get a hit, in 1978, PH for Sorensen.

- Rollie Fingers was the only Brewer pitcher to give up runs, 2 in 1981. Sorensen, Higuera, Plesac (3), Wickman, and Sheets all have scoreless outings.

- First RBI (and only) was Ted Simmons in 1981.

- First run scored was Yount in 1983.

- Other Brewer hits belong to Simmons, Cooper (2), Molitor, Vaughn, Vina, and Burnitz. I did not look up if any was an extra-base hit, although I know Burnitz's was a double, and there were no HR.

Batting stats: May 0-2, Scott 0-2, Aaron 0-1, Money 0-3, Hisle 1-1, Cooper 2-4 (run, plus at least 2 walks), Oglivie 0-4, Yount 0-7(run), Simmons 1-3 (RBI), Thomas 0-1, Sundberg 0-1, Molitor 1-6 (plus catcher's int.), Vaughn 1-1 (run), Seitzer 0-2, Cirillo 0-1, Vina 1-1 (plus walk, fielding error), Nilsson 0-1, Burnitz 1-2 (double, run), Hernandez 0-3, Sexson 0-3.

Pitching stats: Sorenson 3 IP, 1 H; Fingers 2 G, 1.2 IP, 4 H, 2 ER; Higuera 3 IP, 1 H; Plesac 3 G, 1.1 IP, 1 H; Wickman 1 IP, Sheets 1/3 IP.

Archived