Brewer Fanatic

07/13 Reds (Graves) at Brewers (Kinney)

MassBrew

Giving Cruz and Ginter starts over EY and Clayton! BRILLIANT... Jenks gets the day off, and Clark, batting 3rd, is 2 for 2 with a 2 run homer in his place....

Hopefully this means EY is being traded and Clayton is being cut... (hehe... yeah right)

I just saw the boxscore,another DJ meltdown.The team has plenty of problems besides closer,but at some point the team can accept his failures for so long.Hes just not getting his job done,time to remove him from that role.

Hes just not getting his job done,time to remove him from that role.

Are we talking about Rusch or DeJean? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

It's pretty clear that Yost will stick with his players (Clayton, EY, Rusch, DeJean) even when it's clear that throwing them out their isn't getting them over whatever "slump" he thinks they are in. Yost is a rookie manager who overvalues veteran leadership, doesn't understand OBP, and seems to relate to crappy players just like he was. At this point Yost's positives (I'm sure he has some, but I'm pressed to think of any right now) don't outweigh his negatives, but as long as this team sucks it doesn't matter. As soon as we actually get some talent he will be a liability unless he gets a clue. My greatest fear is that he continues to overextend Sheets and we end up with a torn labrum for our best pitcher to go with a 65 win team, He's brighter than Lopester, but not by much and I would shoot for a bit more than that if I was Nedly.

I really don't think you have to worry about Yost being around for too long. Since next year is his last guarenteed year, I expect him to be replaced at the end of the year (if not during the year if a scapegoat becomes needed). I'm not sure you can give a guy a contract extension when he just has come off two 90+ loss seasons. And I doubt you want a lame duck manger in place when the prospects start arriving in Milwaukee, so just picking up the option year isn't likely.

The one thing he does have going for him is that he is fairly cheap, and given this is the Brewers, that is probably seen as abig plus/

Im not sure why anyone would ask for Yost to be sliced from Milwaukee....hes done everything Id expect in a manager and more

Sanchez, Hammonds, Rusch, Quevedo, Leskanic. What more could you ask for? Sure Clayton, EY, DeJean, and half a dozen others, but pawning off/droping/sending down FIVE guys in half a season because they weren't happening is amazing.

I believe hes the single reason behind Scotty Podsednik's success thus far. Everything Scott is doing this year is everything that Ned Yost preaches.

Yost seems to really stick up for his players and he has had the Crew playing to win in every game.

The bullpen blows. You can't blame him or anyone for trying to showcase DeJean and hopefully raise his value/interest from other teams before the fast approaching deadline.

You have to look at things one of two ways

A) Win this year

B) Stockpile for the future

I guess there are others...some grey area, but if you wan't to win now, sure mix up the bullpen and do the right things w/ pinch hitting. If you want to stockpile...show off whats available (EY/Clayton/DeJean) so maybe they can generate interest from other clubs. Also, hope that Sexy and Geoff are wanted bad enough that an unrefuseable offer is given.

Theres grey areas everywhere....personally and while this doesn't go along with my favorite movie "Major League"...I wouldn't mind having Sexson/Jenkins/DeJean/EY and a few others TRADED this summer for younger and bigger upsided talent. Also (this sounds a little sick)...if noone feels that the Crew can win, why not lose so next years #1 in the draft is guarinteed ours. Sure would be nice to add anyone we want....like a great pitching arm.

Just food for thought. I think the majority of people are in the "grey" (man I said that a lot in this post)...feeling that itd be nice to still win a few the next two or three seasons but then be pretty solid when the prospects come up. However, Id rather stink it up while continueing to bolster the system, then in 4 years they'd have a very solid shot at being dynamic and going for the division.

if noone feels that the Crew can win, why not lose so next years #1 in the draft is guarinteed ours.

Though the Padres are starting to show life, it has looked at times as if we couldn't be worse than them if we tried. Even if we trade Jenks or Sexson+EY+Clayton+DJ+VW, we still may only lose 105 , which may not be enough to be worse than San Diego because they're gonna dump players too, and will still be that much worse.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I know we're building and looking to the future, but winning games like this one, that SHOULD have been won, is still important. Letting a guy like DeJean run out there and blow it for the purpose of "showcasing" him is NOT a valid reason for losing it. Hey, these guys we're talking about trading (DeJean, EY, VanDerWal) don't NEED to be showcased. They're all long time vets. Anyone that might think of trading for them already know what they're getting and what these guys are capable of.

Sanchez, Hammonds, Rusch, Quevedo, Leskanic. What more could you ask for? Sure Clayton, EY, DeJean, and half a dozen others, but pawning off/droping/sending down FIVE guys in half a season because they weren't happening is amazing.

Doug melvin would be responsible for those moves, not ned yost

"we still may only lose 105 , which may not be enough to be worse than San Diego because they're gonna dump players too, and will still be that much worse."

Actually, I read somewhere that San Diego thinks they can be competitive next year with players returning from injury and a couple free agent acquisitions, and they will be just as much buyers as sellers during the rest of this season.

"why not lose so next years #1 in the draft is guarinteed ours."

First of all, teams aren't going to try to lose, that's fine if they trade players to look toward the future, but I don't think we want them trying to lose. Second, the first overall pick in the draft doesn't guarantee anything. The 2nd or 3rd pick is still going to yield a good player and probably not a significant drop-off from #1.

I was just a little upset with the fact that someone wanted Yost "axed"...pure silly

Yost has turned a bunch of guys...

Helms, Podsednik, Ginter, JVW, Jenks, Eddie Perez, Franklyn, and Kinney to name a few....

into having their best years to date. A lot of those guys were set to rot in the minors or on the end of a bench, but they are actually producing on the Brewers at minimal dollars. A lot of that was good moves by Melvin but I think Yost and his staff has done something with practice or the way they manage and actually given the Crew some talent rather than relying on head cases who didn't produce like a big leaguer should (Sanchez/Jose K/Hammonds)

One thing I did year during the futures game...and this probably has more to do with the draft/minor league forum, but they said that this upcoming draft will be one of the deepest pitching drafts in years. So you really could land a quaity player with the 9th pick or so....but when it comes to the 2nd round, having an early (1st/3rd) pick might catch you a guy who fell through the cracks.

Too bad Sexy/Jenks weren't free agents this year, if they still offered consolation/supplemental/freebee picks for losing a free agent, right after round 1, Itd be nice to bolster the sytem.

Something I noticed during the futures game....the D-Backs, A's, and Dodgers all have impressive prospects (small sample size), but it was nice watching these kidss actaully play. Harden the pitcher for the A's. Tracy the 3rd baseman for the Dbacks. The Dodgers had a power hitting outfielder (who K's a lot) but still was a prospect along with a pitcher.

If that West races heats up....all 3 teams could use either a 1st baseman or corner outfielder to bolster their offensive punch

Archived