Brewer Fanatic

7/17 Brewers (Franklin) at Pirates (Benson)

Kaukauna

Great start offensively and another error by Royce Clayton! Richie should have had it, but it's always nice to see Royce doing his best to play himself out of the lineup.

Bill Schroeder talking about how Lloyd McClendon is trying to bring Randall Simon along early in his career? Um, Randall has been in the league since 1997, and this would be his fourth full season in the bigs...is this still early in his career?

Double for Helms, his 15th...nice to see. Also glad to know that Scott Podsednik walked in the first and took the drama out of this on-base streak early.

I'm surprised to see Benson get lifted so early... Although his control does seem to be poor tonight... The Pirates gotta love what that just did to his trade value...

Nice piece of hitting by Vanderwahl... brought a big cheer from the upstairs neighbors who are watching the game and starting thirtsy thursday a little early

-GB

Richie should have had it, but it's always nice to see Royce doing his best to play himself out of the lineup.

Ned Yost will quit as manager before benching Royce Clayton. 150 AB's for Enrique Cruz? Ha!

There are three certainties in life: death, taxes, and Royce Clayton at SS, batting eighth, and sucking on a nightly basis.

This isn't really all that related to the game, but I don't want to clutter up the board with a new topic. If you've got cable, or I believe satellite, MLB Extra Innings is doing a free preview. I bought the package last year but money was tight this season and I couldn't afford it... just flipping from channel to channel tonight, I can't believe I've made it the whole year without it.

So, if you aren't a subscriber, go check it out. BoSox-Jays, As-Twins, and a bunch of other sweet games tonight.

That's all I got.

~Bill

Hey Kaukauna, I was kind of in the same boat as you. Back in the 5th I said to myself, "No way the Brewers win with 7 runs." Yes, it does feel good to be wrong.

By the way, the Kaukauna Ghosts is one of my all-time favorite team names. Any idea how they came to be the Ghosts?

Edit to correct spelling of Kaukauna.

This L Estrella looks like he could be another smooth bullpen find.You look at what the Fish gave up for Urbina and his not so dazzling ERA,makes you wonder what they were thinking.

I know its not always easy to get free/cheap bullpen arms since many teams have bad pens,but it's odd how we find these guys every year.

You're right about us finding quality relief arms each year, or atleast one new one each year...

Unfortunately, they become sooooo good that our managemenet refuses to trade them, and then their second year with the club (other than Ray King), they stink...

Example... Leskanic, DeJean, Viz, etc....

Not an exact science, but I really wish the brewers would trade these guys at the deadline each year... If Estrella gets hot for 2 weeks, I bet we could get a mid-level position prospect for him... heck, we've got plenty of relief pitching prospects, and can always convert some of our lower level starter types....

I don't see the value of hanging on to bullpen guys, or guys with 1/2 or 1 1/2 years left on their contract... If they aren't going to be around for the next Brewers team that contends, trade them for someone who is....

60-102 or 68-94 for the Brewers, makes no difference to me, but we might get a better draft pick if we don't do as well...

deeswan--

Yeah, story goes that when Kaukauna was the "Tigers" back in the day, they had a stud running back who beat up on some local team (probably Kimberly) on a foggy day. Newspapers had it penned that the guy looked like a "galloping ghost" through the fog. The story always sounded a bit idealistic to me, but at least my old high school had a unique nickname. Of course, they also had black and orange as colors, eeek.

Unfortunately, they become sooooo good that our managemenet refuses to trade them, and then their second year with the club (other than Ray King), they stink...

I've often thought the same thing. This should probably be in the trade rumors forum, but does anybody else think we should shop Leo around this winter? Given our relievers' track record, his value may be peaking right now, and he could turn into another Viz, DJ, Leskanic, Henry... his isn't based on any observations of Estrella, just the trend maintained by Brewers relievers since Dan Pleasac held it down for more than one year.

Archived