Brewer Fanatic

07/07 - Pirates (Wells) @ Brewers (Franklin)

He slid into home to score a run in the first. In the process, Kendall's tag smashed his helmet into his face and he cut open his right cheek (right below his eye). He had to get stitches and is day-to-day - he's on the bench, all patched up.

~Bill

Wayne Franklin is keeping the Pirates quiet...

There's only that leadoff triple in the 6th which led to a run, but beyond that. he's putting up quality starts.

--

EDIT: Gotta question Ned on this one. Franklin's gone six innings, only given up one run and two hits, and only 85 pitches. We could easily get another inning or two from him.

Three walks in a single game is what I would hardly call potent.

Vander Wal, on the other hand, is posting an .892 OPS as a regular every day starting outfielder.

If only we had been playing him every day from Opening Day...

Come on...I thought not getting Sanders and Lofton was proof of incompetence by Melvin.

Giles, Lofton, and Sanders were going to be one of the best outfields and the Brewers were going to be one of the worst.

Wasn't that the common sentiment in March?

Verified Member

I went to the game today, and I wanted to share a few comments . . .

First of all, the Pirates really looked disorganized today. Lloyd McClendon kept Kip Wells in the game for a long time, and Wells seemed to be looking in the dugout every 30 seconds wanting to get pulled. I thought Wells was going to yell at McClendon for not taking him out sooner. I don't think their bullpen needed rest because Jeff D'Amico pitched a complete game yesterday... So I was surprised that Wells stayed in there so long.

It also seemed the Pirates were late in getting people warmed up in the bullpen. Several times, I was really shocked that nobody was warming up. On defense, they looked really sloppy too. For whatever reason, their body language looked terrible and you could see it from the stands. Just one of those days I guess.

Nice to see the Brewers really pushing Geoff Jenkins for the All-Star vote. They had signs, leaflets, computer stations, announcements, etc. I hope Jenkins gets to go to the All-Star Game. That would be a great story. Did you all vote today?

I am not a professional scout, but I did have some concerns about Shane Nance. For the last inning, I sneaked into the lower deck behind the plate to watch the end of the game. I noticed that it was a lot easier to pick the ball up against Shance Nance because he is somewhat short compared to most pitchers. It seemed easier to see the ball because the hitter has a much smaller area to focus in on when Nance is pitching. I don't know if this means anything, but for me it was very noticeable.

http://www.brewerfan.net/images/other/ajay.jpg

Archived