Brewer Fanatic

07/09 Pirates (Benson) at Brewers (Rusch)

MassBrew

I am hoping that Rusch can have a good game and turn things around a little.

Brian Kingman must be sweating now that Glendon is back.

When your 1-11 with and ERA over 8 things can only get better right?

Brian Kingman must be sweating now that Glendon is back.

I think he's more worried about the Detroit triple threat.

It'll be interesting to see just how ugly the Pirate unis will be tonight. The 70s should be forgotten when it comes to turn back the clock nights.

How unbelievably amaizing would it be if Glendon could turn it around tonight and go the rest of the year with an ERA below 5.00. I really don't think this is out of the question, but it would help this team so much.

I actually have a softspot for the Astros old unis. Probably a sign of insanity. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Now, the Padres old uniforms, those I find truly apalling.

Robert

I expect a descent pitching performanc but the only reason i do is because it is the pirates. Ok he will give up 3 runs in 6.3 innings and the management will say HEEEEEEEESS BAAAAA A A A ACK. Then he will pitch against the next opp. and give up like 6 runs prolly just typical he wont succeed after this game....if you call giviing up 3 runs in 6 innings to the worst offense succeeding

PROJECTED OUTING

61/3 INNING PITCH 4RUNS 3 EARNED 6 HITS 3 WALKS

BUT BREWERS WIN 7-4

Brewcrew, I know this has been mentioned before but your posts would be much easier to read if you would hit the spell check button. You make some good points, its just that they are hard to find because of the spelling and caps lock key.

I too think he will have a good game tonight since it is his first back. Hopefully he will keep it up over the rest of the season. Unfortunately, there is no statistical evidence to back up these predictions as this is an unusual event. Most veteran starters don't preform poorly enough to get demoted for 3 games.

The dark side of Turn Back the Clock Night is apparently also the bright, too bright side. The Brewers are playing a bunch of bananas! Ow, my eyes!

On the other hand, ALL-STAR Geoff Jenkins looks just fine in Ned's old uniform.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I don't like these '78 uni's... they need belts and they need to ditch the V-neck. I also like it better with the piping on the end of the sleeves and the numbers on the back need to be increased in size (at least for Richie). Otherwise, I dig them more than I dig the current uni's.

The Pirates are okay, but that yellow is a little much... It looks good (or at least okay) on some of the guys, but others just look like giant bumblebees.

~Bill

Nobody on live chat...

I assume the reason Vandy didn't bunt is because they would have walked Helms and then they would have had to face those offensive juggernaughts named Osik and Clayton. I don't think we lost anything by having Vandy and Helms swing away.

Brooks Kieschnick is amazing. He's not the best hitter and he's not the best pitcher, but the fact that he can do both is incredible. Tonight's game is the type that really showcases his utility as a two-way player. And is there a more exciting player on the Brewers? I don't think so.

Gotta love the toolshed,

~Bill

As if you needed proof luck is the most important thing in extra inings.

I agree Batman, Brooks is doing something no one has done since Babe Ruth. He's probably just replacement level at each (though his pitching looks better every time out), but considering no one has done both for 70 years, it is beyond astounding.

Well, Bob Lemon played 14 games in the OF in '46 and '47, while he was primarily a pitcher. FWIW, he played CF, his range factor was above league average, and he even had two assists in those handful of games.

He wasn't a great hitter in '46, but he hit .321/.387/.607 in '47, to go with a 11-5, 3.48 ERA.

He had some very good years with the bat, hitting 18 HR total during the years '48, '49, '50, putting up OPS that were above league average each year...at the same time he won 20 games each year with ERAs usually a run or more below league average...he was in the top 10 for the MVP each year...obviously a bit better than Brooks. But of course Lemon's in the HOF.

And Lemon played more than fifty years ago. That's what makes this so incredible... in today's specialized game when even utility players have assigned roles, it is refreshing to see a guy who can just flat-out play baseball.

Interesting stuff, no doubt... and while Brooks won't be a HOFer, he's awfully fun to watch.

~Bill

More recently, a number of pitchers have PH...Aguilera did it at least once, I know. Rick Rhoden was a pretty good hitter, and would PH five times a year or so in the mid 80s...he had a few years where his OPS was above league average. Another ex-pirate named Rick, Reuschel, actually DHed for the Yankees once IIRC. And of course our own Bill Wegman ended his career playing RF...

But yeah, it's nice to see the Brewers take a risk on Brooks, and to see Brooks make it work.

I find the Brewers' jerseys to be awesome and of course the logo is possibly the best and most clever of all time.

The old logo has to come back in some way, shape, or form. The new logo lacks that unique quality the old one had, but more importantly, it lacks history. During times when the Yankees, Cubs, or Red Sox suck, you still look at their "out-dated" logo with respect, because it represents the great teams that wore it. When you look at the Brewers current logo you think of an age of futility. I don't care if they even bring back the old colors, heck keep the new ones to give it a more "modern" look, but that logo has to find its way back onto the field.

Archived