Brewer Fanatic

June Transactions

I've been very dubious about Escobar, because his secondary offensive numbers have been mortifying. But if you break down his season, I can see why the organization bumped him up.

In 96 April ABs, his secondary average was .073, largely on the strength of exactly zero extra-base hits. That's unspeakable, even for a shortstop. It's the kind of performance that makes you long for Craig Counsell's raw power.

But in 172 May/June ABs, he upped the secondary average to .128. That's still wretched, but it's a significant improvement, and it's nearly tolerable for a .325-hitting ss. Then you factor in that he's 20, playing in hitter's purgatory, and that improvement may amount to some very significant progress.

I'm still somewhat dubious, because batting averages have a way of crashing, and without his average he's still all potential. But he's starting to look interesting, and I love seeing two 20 year-olds in the AA lineup. Now if only Alcides can, over the remainder of the season, top Brantley's walk total from today's game . . .

Greg.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's the best pure defender in the entire franchise, as long as he bats over .300 it doesn't matter to me. He'll break in as utility player most likely. Unless he totally bombs, both Rickie and JJ will still be around when he's ready to contribute.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Not official transactions yet, but:

Charleston Daily Mail --

Power pitching coach John Curtis said Zach Braddock and fellow left-handed pitcher Luis Ramirez are out with elbow injuries in their throwing arms and won't pitch again until August.

Bummer...

Power pitching coach John Curtis said Zach Braddock and fellow left-handed pitcher Luis Ramirez are out with elbow injuries in their throwing arms and won't pitch again until August

my read into this is that they gave an August timeframe for a reason. They both likely have some stiffness or tendonitis, and an August return gives them roughly 6 weeks to shut it down, rest, rehab, and then start throwing again

Yep it was shoulder, now his elbow... Actually, elbow injuries scare me alot less than shoulders, but they really shouldn't.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

elbow injuries scare me alot less than shoulders

I agree with that, though what worries me here is that the elbow injury came after the shoulder injury. At this point, I wouldn't have a problem with just shutting Braddock down for the rest of the year, at least to the extent of not having him pitch in a game situation for the Power this season.

And now that I just typed that, I remember that Braddock had TJ surgery a few years ago. I hope it is just related somehow to recovery from that.

I agree with you guys about elbow injuries being preferred to shoulder. I've spoken at length with a buddy that just finished medical school, and he insists that there should be no difference. I just think of how guys can come back from elbow injuries with effectiveness, but guys rarely come back from major shoulder surgery with much success. I'm thinking of Alex Fernandez, Ramon Martinez, Teddy Higuera, etc. Guys at the top of their games that were a shell of their former selves.

Braddock's elbow strain was caused by tightening in the shoulder muscles thus reducing his mobility through the shoulder on release, resulting in a side arm release. Ultrasound,ice,massage therapy and some rest has been determined as the treatment plan. Growing over an 1" and gaining 20 lbs in under 18 months tends to change the whole mechanics of pitching. It is a marathon not a race to the big leagues. Patience...http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Any time a pitcher's arm is involved, elbow or shoulder, and the diagnosis is a return in August, or a couple of months, knowing the organization is going to be extremely careful and patient with these young arms, I find it to be somewhat relieving. At this point in time there is no scheduled visit to Dr. Lewis Yocum or any of the other catch phrases that generally cause me to worry.

So while I wish I could watch Braddock's and Ramirez' names in the Link Report the next two months, I'm happy to know that for now the organization only expects them to be out those two months. That could change, but again, the dangerous phrases haven't been tossed out regarding these two as of yet.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Baseball America reports that 2006 11th round OF Zach Clem, out of the University of Washington, has been released. Clem hit .231 in 108 AB's with Helena last year. He'll be 24 in September, and a crowded outfield situation at the A-ball and above level didn't clear a spot for him.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Nashville Media Notes:

To make room for Tony Gwynn on the roster, Sounds catcher J.R. Hopf was placed on the disabled list, retroactive to Tuesday, with a right hand contusion.

In a recent broadcast, Sounds announcer Chuck Valenches mentioned that Hopf was brought to Nashville to basically be a bullpen catcher, what with both Vinny Rottino and Mike Rivera virtually in the lineup every night. The fact that the inexperienced Hopf had provided some production in limited plate opportunities was a little bonus.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Our friend Kaukauna on the Draft Forum reminded us about these signings prior to MLB.com's linked note here:

milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com...p;c_id=mil

More signings: The Brewers have signed two more 2007 Draft picks -- left-handed pitcher Daniel Merklinger, their sixth-round choice, and right-hander Wes Etheridge, their 12th-rounder, Milwaukee's amateur scouting boss Jack Zduriencik announced Friday.

The Brewers have signed 28 of the 46 players they picked in the First-Year Player Draft, including eight of their top 10 picks, although first-round choice Matt LaPorta remains unsigned.

Etheridge helped propel his University of California-Irvine team through a Cinderella run at the on-going College World Series, where the Anteaters knocked off stalwarts Texas, Wichita State and Cal State-Fullerton before finally getting eliminated themselves.

Etheridge pitched his way to a 12-4 record with a 2.65 ERA in 28 appearances (17 starts) during his 2007 season.

Merklinger went 5-7 with a 4.62 ERA at Seton Hall University this season.

You'd imagine the Brewers will find room on the Helena roster for each perhaps after a few days in Maryvale.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

LHP Zach Braddock has been officially placed on the Power disabled list to make room for RHP Alex Periard, activated today.

For now, young Venezuelan lefty Luis Ramirez remains on the active list, although we saw a report earlier that he's "shut down" until August.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

The Brewers have signed another non-drafted free agent.

LHP Tony Drinkard out of Jacksonville State (Alabama) University turned 22 years old last March.

He went 6-3 with a 4.27 ERA (15 games, 14 starts) in 2007, striking out 57 and walking 28 in 86.1 IP. He allowed 103 hits, 25 for extra bases.

LHP Tony Drinkard's Player Page from JSU (entering the 2007 season):

www.jsugamecocksports.com...ast(number as int)

His teammate was RHP Donovan Hand, drafted by the Brewers in the 14th round, currently in Helena.

Drinkard went to Brewer High School http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif . Hey, didn't we all?

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Huntsville Site:

The Milwaukee Brewers have activated outfielder Ruben Mateo from the disabled list and placed outfielder Ryan Crew on the disabled list with a left shin injury. Mateo was in uniform and in the lineup for the Stars Sunday in the opener of a six-game set with the Chattanooga Lookouts.

Mateo was placed on the disabled list with a right hamstring injury on June 3 after re-aggravating the hamstring the day before running the bases at Chattanooga.The former major leaguer is batting .226 with three home runs and 10 runs batted in over 16 games.

Crew is batting .290 with two runs batted in over 31 at-bats since joining the team three weeks ago.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

RHP Matt Kretzschmar, who spent all of 2006 with West Virginia, has been promoted to the Power from Helena, after two clean relief outings there.

To make room, LHP Luis Ramirez, shut down until August to rest his elbow according to earlier reports, goes on the DL.

Archived