Brewer Fanatic

9/21 Brewers (Obermueller) vs. DBacks (Schilling)

jaybird2001wi

With runners at second and third and nobody out, Brady Clark deliberately hits a ball towards the second baseman. It scores the run and advances the other runner to third base. Eventually that runner scores too.

Small things matter.

Great job by Brady Clark.

http://www.brewerfan.net/images/other/ajay.jpg

It kind of seems like an insult to Wes to bring in Rusch at this point. They'll probably bring in Viz to bail him out of whatever kind of trouble he gets into. Hope that they can hang onto it for Wes's sake.

6-3 crew top of the seventh

Clayton continues his dominance in "clutch" situations...http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

congratas to wes for getting his first win.

he has pitched very well in his games this season.

I think Wes has proved that he deserves a shot at next year rotation.

Bill hall has shown that he belongs here and will be the team top Utlity IF next season.

I am also pretty impressed with Mike Cruadale and think he will be a good set up man.

I also will be looking foward to seeing Keith Ginter Play a full season at 2nd Base,He should be a 15-20Hr Potential.

Eddie Perez has played a very decent season but it will be nice to see us get a legit #1Catcher

Podsednik in left, Hall in center, Jenkins in right, perhaps?

And you orbiting Uranus.

Haha, for once I'm going with David on this one.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/eek.gif

Hey what about Sexson at Catcher?http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Didn't Hall play CF more thatn SS at Indy this year? Of all the weird things people say about who should play where this one isn't completely far fetched. But........if he moves to the outfield, does that mean we bring back Clayton to play SS? No thanks.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

We already have a CF, his name is Scott Podsednik.

IIRC, Billy didn't do horrible in CF in Indy but he didn't stay there for long. I don't know why they put him back. Maybe he didn't like it, maybe the coaches weren't impressed, I don't know.

What's wrong with having Billy play SS? Why mess with the guy's position here if it didn't work out in Indy, for whatever reason.

Seems to me all his games at SS in Indy this year were at the beginning of the season. His improvement with the bat coincided with his permanent move to 2B, with some experimenting in CF. Could have just been a coincidence.

From the results in Milw. it doesn't seem SS is his position, sort of unfair since he hadn't played it for a couple months, and no one thinks its a long term position for him: JJ.

With Ginter/Weeks doesn't seem 2B is a long term position for him either.

Posters here may be willing to accept his defensive deficiencies next year at SS but can Bill Hall. Players, especially young ones, can take defensive problems to the plate with them or try to make up for errors and wind up changing their approach at the plate.

Not knowing all the facts, I would propose trying him in RF from the beginning of spring training. He's got some pop and the arm it seems. Some have put a utility ceiling on him already at age 23/24 but I haven't. No one can use the peaked argument on a 23 year old and his power could still increase. He hasn't walked much but he's been taking pitches to right and up the middle, not just trying to pull everything. I don't like seeing him hit 8th. With the pitcher behind him it could be altering his approach re: walks. Perhaps a full year with Butch will help him. I think he could be a cheap upgrade over VDW/Clark/Conti/Zocco in RF.

It would mean trying to find another cheap bridge SS for 2004 with more offensive upside than Royce.

I've no interest in seeing Billy Hall in the outfield. There's a very good possibility that Hall is never going to post an OPS much above .700, and that's likely with a poor OBP. Every year there are veteran corner outfielders that you can sign to 1 year contracts for not much money that will post an OPS in the .850 range with a respectable OBP. I don't care if Hall is young, he has no upside as a player that's replacing a corner outfielder.

If Hall is ever going to make it as a starter in MLB, it's going to have to be as a middle infielder. There's a difference in "setting a player up to succeed" and coddling him. He's not better than Ginter. He's not better than Helms. And he's not better than the potential corner outfielders that are available to the Brewers. If the Brewers aren't willing to give him a chance to show whether he can handle SS or not, then they should just trade him for something they can use since utility infielders are a dime a dozen.

Robert

Bill Hall seems like a legit option, and we do have a dearth of corner OFs. Hall's a young Jose Hernandez, and there are worse players to have than Hernandez, especially when they come in at about the major-league minimum.

There is a lot of pop in that bat - the OBP will be a limiting factor, but an OPS in the .780-.810 range is not out of the question. Plus, Hall seems to have the ability to steal 15-20 bases a year.

A .260 average, 35 doubles, 20 homers, and 20 steals. The Brewers also have Ginter capable of roughly the same performance (.280 average, 35-40 doubles, and 20 homers).

There is a lot of pop in that bat - the OBP will be a limiting factor, but an OPS in the .780-.810 range is not out of the question. Plus, Hall seems to have the ability to steal 15-20 bases a year.

i think it is out of the question...

and that your letting your emotions get carried away

Wes Helms, Geoff Jenkins, and Scott Podsednik all did pretty well under Butch Wynegar. They stepped it up pretty well.

I think Bill Hall is going to turn out okay for the Crew - Jose Hernandez production (from 2001 and 2002) at a younger age (23 this year) at close to the major-league minimum. Nearly half this guy's hits are going for extra bases (18 of 39).

Who can't get excited about a guy who can smash three extra base hits off Curt Schilling in a game? Or who posts a .488 slugging percentage as a middle infielder?

There's a bunch of good reasons to be excited about Bill Hall. That bat's going to be pretty exciting to watch, and he is only going to continue getting better.

That bat's going to be pretty exciting to watch, and he is only going to continue getting better.

Just like Pat Listach?

You are the King of Small Sample Sizes. You extrapolate 1 AB into a week, a month, a year, to a career. Then when your favorite Brewer of the nanosecond doesn't have a position because, suprise, someone off the street is better, you want to move him anywhere just to get his bat into the lineup. I see very little difference between your suggestions and the rantings of a madman with a particular interest in baseball. Have you ever checked the "Preview" box at the bottom of the post screen (next to the "Add Reply" button) and ever, EVER, looked at one of your posts, prior to committing it to cyberspace for eternity? If you do reread your posts and they make perfect sense, then I've clearly underestimated the radius of your orbit.

Well, aside from David Krynzel, do we really have any corner outfield prospects ready to step up in the 2004-2006 timeframe? Who are the top corner OF prospects in the Brewers system?

Pete Zoccolillo? Maybe, but he probably it little more than a reserve.

Jason Conti? Adequete 5th OF with some pop and speed. Has a cannon for an arm, though (20+ assists). But aside from his defense, if he's playing every day, the Brewers are in trouble.

Brandon Gemoll? Maybe, but he's probably going to be little mor ethan a younger, cheaper Vander Wal.

Corey Hart? Only if the Brewers are willing to stick with Wes Helms and/or Keith Ginter at third.

The cupboard is pretty bare at the moment. Both Hall and Weeks would be attractive OF options since they seem to have a lot of power, and both are very young (Hall will be 24 next year, Weeks 22) and likely to arrive in Milwaukee soon. both also are showing a lot of power potential and have serious defensive issues in the middle infield.

xisxisxis

Actually, I'm looking over the 120 ABs Hall has had this year, plus the performance he showed in Indianapolis, particularly after they moved him from SS to 2B with some time in the outfield.

I know he struggled in 2002, but the performance this year and in `01 suggests that `02 was an aberration.

Hall's looked pretty good so far - yeah, I wish he'd draw more walks, but how many second basemen flirt with a .500 slugging percentage?

Archived