Brewer Fanatic

9/13/03 Brewers (Davis) @ Giants (Ponson)

MassBrew

If you can't count on tthe W-L record, what stat can you count on then?

For the most part, ERA is pretty indicative of how successful a pitcher is going to be. And not just in one season, but for their career.

And if a player's W-L record is so important, than Wes Obermueller must really such at 0-4. What is the team's record when he starts? And what about Jim Abbott in 1992? He was 7-15 despite posting the 5th best ERA at 2.77 that year. I suppose he must suck.

While the game is all about wins, statistically speaking the W-L record doesn't mean much, and I'm sure the stat fellas will offer a stat that is even more telling than ERA.

David said it, this team needs talent all over, and they can't simply counter their pitching woes by trying to build a high-powered offense, or even a moderately-powered offense. While there are a few exceptions (and Franklin shouldn't be one of those), it's a waste of time to fall in love with ANY of the players currently on the team.

xisxisxis

Right now, barring any free-agent acquisition, Doug Davis would be my choice as the #2 starter.

Since coming to Milwaukee, he's been lights-out. It might just be a hot streak (we'll know more by the end of the season), but if he has put it together, it's one less problem to deal with.

He and Sheets have, IMO, earned spots in next year's rotation. I think Franklin and Kinney will be the front-runners for the 3rd and 4th slots, and the 5th slot will go to either Obermueller or Luis Martinez.

The bullpen is going to be a different issue - we're going to have to find reliable replacements for DeJean, Leskanic, and de los Santos. So far, Danny Kolb is holding down the fort as the closer, the problem is getting to him through the 7th and 8th innings. Matt Ford did very well in the bullpen for us this year, so I'm inclined to bring him back. Mike Crudale is also looking pretty sharp in the pen. Brooks Kiechsnick has done well in the mop-up role, and he's done well as a PH/backup OF. The last two slots (assuming six in the bullpen and a five-man rotation) will come down to a competition between Matt Childers, Jason Childers, Shane Nance, John Foster, and whatever minor-league free agents we bring in.

--

The bigger concern, IMO, remains the offense. Run support has been non-existent at times, and addressing that has to be priotity #1 in the offseason.

colbyjack

No argument on improving the talent. But who stays and who goes?

Right now, I'd say the following ought to be staying:

Position players: Sexson, Jenkins, Ginter, Hall, Helms, Podsednik

Bench: Perez, Clark, Conti

Rotation: Sheets, Davis, Martinez (young and cheap), probably Franklin

Bullpen: Kolb, Crudale, Matt Ford, Kieschnick (could be moved to the bench)

--

If you want to get talent next year, particularly in the starting lineup, the club has to be willing to pay, either by trading some players (Pittsburgh might still be interested in moving Jason Kendall. If the Pirates paid half his salary, I'd be willing to ship them Kinney or Obermueller and a pair of low-ceiling prospects - call it OF Chris Morris and 2B Alejandro Machado - to bring him to Milwaukee), free agency (opeing the checkbook to bring in a solid RF and #5 hitter - maybe Jeromy Burnitz can be convinced to return to Milwaukee for a year or two), or a combination of those two.

Good minor league-free agents are nice for getting a decent bench or filling holes in the bullpen, but to seriously upgrade the starting lineup, it will take a trade or signing a free agent.

Right now, barring any free-agent acquisition, Doug Davis would be my choice as the #2 starter.

Since coming to Milwaukee, he's been lights-out. It might just be a hot streak (we'll know more by the end of the season), but if he has put it together, it's one less problem to deal with.

Didn't Franklin have a light-out semptember last year.

Archived