Brewer Fanatic

9/13/03 Brewers (Davis) @ Giants (Ponson)

MassBrew

Congrats, Richie -- two bombs for another 40-HR season.

And awesome defense from all through four, especially Richie.

Two outs, man on third in the first, Helms behind him -- thanks, Mr. Ponson, for pitching to Richie.

What a horse Richmond is. Expect an off-season of more 60+ post threads on the "trade Richie" issue.

Re: sexson. Just missed #3 by about 3 inches, had to settle for a double.

1. We'd be crazy to trade a guy like this for anything less than a bonafide #1 starter and change...or let me say a Hershal Walker type trade offer.

2. You've got to think that the Giants and Dodgers would love to have a guy like Sexson, and keep the other from having him, especially with the show he is putting on today. My guess is that if Richie did get traded it'd be to one of those two teams. Seattle a possibility as well.

3. I hope we keep him.

What a horse Richmond is. Expect an off-season of more 60+ post threads on the "trade Richie" issue.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

What a performance in front of a perfect team to target for Richie's services. I hope Sabean has a good seat to see what a real 1B and offensive threat would do for his anemic offense.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Yeeeeeha Glendon. Good lord, let's PLEASE be done with the "keep Glendon next year" thoughts.

Anyone think that maybe with Davis' pitch count, Yost should've had someone up going into the 8th inning? I know I was thinking it. Yes, he had a shutout going, but the pitch count was getting really high, they'd been getting on base ALL day.

Hopefully they can hold onto this one.

I think a lot of that had to do with last night when Bonds should have gone down looking but the obvious strike was called a ball. That, plus today Bonds got a couple calls that were close.

I liked the fact that Ned didn't stay out there for 5 minutes looking like an idiot. He said what he wanted to say and left.

I believe that Ned came out because the Umpire was baiting Eddie into an arguement. Eddie did nothing to show up the homeplate umpire, and yet the ump took time to go "brush off the plate" while also giving Eddie a couple of words.

From the bench Yost or Maddux asked Eddie where the pitch missed and Eddie shrugged his shoulders. Obviously blue took offense. I think Ned was more upset about the baiting of Eddie than anything, but than off course while he was out there he was going to voice his opinions about the balls that weren't. It was a classless more by the ump, and I am glad Ned gave him a lashing. And if it happens again I hope he will taunt him a second time, the silly kinniggett.

And in anybody's book those balls should be called strikes, except when Barry is involved.

I didn't see this particular play, but it seems reminiscent of the other night when the home plate umpire took off his mask to chase down Ginter. Very inexcusable! If you need to do that, uncerimoniously throw the player out of the game and be done with it. Otherwise, let the player go back to the bench without provocation and continue the game.

Davis bounced back nicely from a very bad start against the Cubs, posting a quality start against the Giants (7 IP, 3 runs). Probably was pushed an inning too long, but he still got us deep in the game. His ERA is 4.08 overall. Tops among the pitchers currently starting.

With him, Obermueller, Kinney, Franklin, and Martinez competing for the four slots behind Ben Sheets, it will be interesting. We could have a spare starter to trade to some team for help elsewhere.

That team ERA includes rather horrendous outings by the likes of Glendon Rusch, Ruben Quevedo, and David Manning. Luis Martinez has had a couple of rough starts, too.

Obermueller (4.5http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/glasses.gif , Davis (2.25), Kinney (4.90), Franklin (5.34), and Sheets (4.22) have proven to be a pretty solid rotation. And Martinez has a pretty good chance of getting better once the rookie jitters are over.

That team ERA includes rather horrendous outings by the likes of Glendon Rusch, Ruben Quevedo, and David Manning. Luis Martinez has had a couple of rough starts, too.

I think anyone can agree that a 4.91 team ERA is bad. If that's the case, wouldn't individual ERAs by Kinney & Franklin, which you pointed out to be 4.90 & 5.34, also be considered bad?

Clancy, this isn't a "solid" rotation, it's a bad one, and it's a big reason why the Brewers are among the worst teams in MLB. I think it would be wise to quit making excuses for this unit & realize we need major improvement from our starters.

And yes, I do realize I'm wasting my time.

colbyjack

I think one could reasonably expect marginal improvement by both Kinney and Franklin, with both getting their ERAs next year down to the 4.50 level.

Also, the Brewers are 17-15 in games Franklin has started. Never mind the ERA, he's pitched well enough that the Brewers are OVER .500 when he is starting. The same record the Brewers have when Ben Sheets plays, I might add.

That means that the Brewers are 34-30 when Sheets or Franklin start, and 30-55 with all the others, and that 30-55 record includes a 5-1 record for Doug Davis.

ERA doesn't put a team in the playoffs. Winning games puts a team in the playoffs - and somehow, the Brewers win more than they lose when Franklin starts.

I think one could reasonably expect marginal improvement by both Kinney and Franklin, with both getting their ERAs next year down to the 4.50 level.

You could reasonably expect that, yes, but to expect that is foolish.

Also, the Brewers are 17-15 in games Franklin has started. Never mind the ERA, he's pitched well enough that the Brewers are OVER .500 when he is starting. The same record the Brewers have when Ben Sheets plays, I might add.

Do you expect that trend to continue as well? I personally would attribute the records to chance or dumb luck than actual skill. The Brewers likely could just as easily be 10-22 in the games Franklin has started this year given the amount of baserunners & home runs the guy has allowed this year. Again, you can't count on that stat.

You would be one heck of a Brewers' PR employee though. That's the crap they've been spinning to us for years.

colbyjack

If you can't count on tthe W-L record, what stat can you count on then? Wayne Franklin's proven that he does the job more often than not by the 17-15 record the Brewers have posted in his starts. A 10-8 win is no different than a 1-0 win in the standings.

Maybe, just maybe, the club ought to be putting together an offense that can score runs as opposed to getting people like Royce Clayton, Keith Osik, and Mark Smith.

Maybe, just maybe, the club ought to be putting together an offense that can score runs as opposed to getting people like Royce Clayton, Keith Osik, and Mark Smith.

Yeah, Texas, Colorado, and Cincinnati are all great examples of teams that just need more hitting. Unfortunately they can't outhit what their own pitching staff gives up. The problem is not JUST the offense and not JUST the pitching. The problem is that this team lacks talent. We don't need a few more hitters and the same pitching staff. We don't need a new pitching staff and the same hitters. We need more of EVERYTHING. As long as you are happy with having Wayne Franklin or Matt Kinney as your #2 starter, you've lost the battle and you're just going to diminish the losing. The key is not to form attachments to players simply because they are Brewers especially if they aren't better than replacement level.

Archived