Brewer Fanatic

04/05/04 Brewers (Sheets) @ Cardinals (Morris)

squarepusher

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040402/capt.sts10604021945.cardianals_opening_day_sts106.jpg

The field is ready, it's time to PLAY BALL. Don't forget, the Brewerfan.net chat room is open for in game chat as well is this thread. To access the chat room, you will have needed to create an account here at the Brewerfan.net Fan Forum. Once you have, the chat link will appear at the top of the message board. GO CREW.

Brewerfan.net - Daily Brew series preview

www.brewerfan.net/ViewDailyReport.do?dailyReportId=175

Brewerfan.net / Statfox matchup information:

www.brewerfan.net/matchup.jsp?teamId=1

Milwaukee Journal / Sentinel game preview:

www.jsonline.com/sports/brew/apr04/219910.asp

Yahoo Sports game news story

sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-brewers-cardinalsopener&prov=ap&type=lgns

CNNSi game preview:

sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/previews/2004/04/05/7724_preview.html

FOXSports.com Gametrax

www.foxsports.com/named/FS/MLB/gameTrax?gameId=240405124

MLB.com Game Preview:

milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mil/news/mil_news.jsp?ymd=20040402&content_id=681859&vkey=news_mil&fext=.jsp

SportsTicker game preview:

Milwaukee (68-94) at St Louis (85-77) 4:10 pm EDT

----------------------------------------------------------------

ST. LOUIS (Ticker) -- The St. Louis Cardinals hope ace Matt

Morris is refreshed and can get them off to a strong start when

they begin their 2004 campagin against the Milwaukee Brewers on

Monday at Busch Stadium.

Morris, who won 22 games in 2001 and 17 the following year, was

beset with numerous injuries last season and managed just 11

wins.

His health is a big concern for the Cardinals, who did not make

many offseason moves and will have to battle the improved

Chicago Cubs and Houston Astros in the National League Central

Division.

The Brewers had another poor season last year, going 68-94 to

finish last in the NL Central.

Milwaukee then dealt its best player, All-Star first baseman

Richie Sexson, to the Arizona Diamondbacks in the offseason for

four players who are expected to start this season: first

baseman Lyle Overbay, second baseman Junior Spivey, shortstop

Craig Counsell and catcher Chad Moeller.

Pitching matchup:

Milwaukee - Ben Sheets (11-13, 4.45 ERA); last season vs. St.

Louis (1-1, 5.11).

St. Louis - Morris (11-8, 3.76 ERA); last season vs. Milwaukee

(2-0, 3.60).

Who's Hot:

Milwaukee - LF Geoff Jenkins, .340 batting average, 12 RBI in 17

exhibition games.

St. Louis - 1B Albert Pujols, .381, 10 RBI in 23 exhibition

games.

Who's Not:

Milwaukee - SS Craig Counsell, .233 batting average, 0 RBI in 20

exhibition games.

St. Louis - 2B Bo Hart, .206, three RBI in 25 exhibition games.

2003 Series: St. Louis, 13-3

All-time series: St. Louis, 54-32

Injuries:

Milwaukee - None.

St. Louis - None.

Upcoming probables:

Milwaukee - Doug Davis (7-8, 4.03) vs. St. Louis - Jason Marquis

(0-0, 5.53), April 6

ESPN Game Preview:

sports.espn.go.com/mlb/preview?gameId=240405124

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am excited to finally get this season underway, but I have a feeling that with this scheduling, April will be known as the month of woe.

Had not seen that statfox site before, but based on the numbers I wish Morris was pitching for us! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif They seem to think so too.

BEN SHEETS vs. ST LOUIS since 1997

SHEETS is 3-5 when starting against ST LOUIS with an ERA of 4.76 and a WHIP of 1.492.

MATT MORRIS vs. MILWAUKEE since 1997

MORRIS is 9-2 when starting against ST LOUIS with an ERA of 2.22 and a WHIP of 1.195.

Yeah it is a tough schedule. OTOH, in April the Brewers are likely to open on the road in the south and in west and there simply aren't that many bad teams in those areas. A few more games against Pittsburgh and Cincinnatti would help, but considering the talent level and questions surrounding the team, practically every game looks tough.

Robert

THIS JUST IN....The Brewers have added a roof to the top of their stadium and therefore they DO NOT have to open on the road, in the south, or the west...in fact it could be below zero outside in Milwaukee and blowing snow and we could still play ball!!!

Today's Lineups:

MILWAUKEE AT ST LOUIS -- LINEUPS MILWAUKEE ST LOUIS AVG HR RBI AVG HR RBI Scott Podsednik CF .000 0 0 Tony Womack 2B .000 0 0 Craig Counsell SS .000 0 0 Ray Lankford LF .000 0 0 Junior Spivey 2B .000 0 0 Albert Pujols 1B .000 0 0 Geoff Jenkins LF .000 0 0 Jim Edmonds CF .000 0 0 Lyle Overbay 1B .000 0 0 Scott Rolen 3B .000 0 0 Wes Helms 3B .000 0 0 Edgar Renteria SS .000 0 0 Ben Grieve RF .000 0 0 Reggie Sanders RF .000 0 0 Chad Moeller C .000 0 0 Mike Matheny C .000 0 0 Ben Sheets RHP .000 0 0 Matt Morris RHP .000 0 0 (NO RECORD) (NO RECORD) 1:59 PM ET 

St. Louis has an awesome offense, and I am not taking anything away from Reggie Sanders when I say this, because all has done the past few years is produce, but that 7-8-9-1-2 is not that intimidating at all. Granted, our 7-8-9-1-2 is not much better, but from a pitching stand point I hope Ben can mow through that part of the order today and if the 3-6 hitters do get on base Ben shuts down the rally at the bottom of the order.

I don't disagree that the Brewers could start the season at home. OTOH, Miller Park isn't heated and teams in the past have complained, although it's better than playing outside.

Still, other than Cincinatti, who probably is stronger before they get hit with injuries, and Pittsburgh coming to Miller Park, what series is easy for the Brewers? And, they still have basically the same schedule as everyone else in the division, so worrying about the schedule strikes me as a minor issue. Really, it gets a lot easier in May when the Brewers should be expecting larger crowds.

Robert

OTOH, Miller Park isn't heated

Miller Park isn't heated? My understanding is that it is heated, but only to about 20 degrees above outside temp. Therefore, it can be cold when the outside temperatures are low, but it still has heating.

Yeah, that's a misstatement on my part. Miller Park isn't sealed so the inside temperature can only be controlled to an extent. Although having been at some April games that were chilly, I sometimes think that the 20 degrees represents theoretical design more than actual conditions.

Still better than being outside. I'm not complaining about Miller Park, just pointing out that it has its limits.

Robert

I am not sure about his command, but Sheets has a strong fastball, nasty curveball, and nasty changeup going. He struck out three in the first inning.

I just hope he doesn't get tired too early.

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/images/2004/04/02/sYosatbJ.gif

25 pitches in the first inning... he just might get tired.

They're striking out, but working the count. I just hope we have enough guys who can go long...

EDIT:

According to Yahoo, Scott Rolen did an impression of Alex Sanchez...

EDIT 2:

Take that back, we're down 1-0 after Matheny singles. Somehow the pickoff must have gone wild...

Sheets had Rolen picked off, but threw the ball into right field. Rolen went to third on the play. Sheets then hangs a 2-strike curveball to the number eight hitter (who knocks in Rolen) rather than getting to the pitcher. Same ole, same ole.

Sheets with approx. 45 pitches...ouch.

Brewers now with first and third, nobody out as Moeller walks, Sheets bunts, and Pujols throws the ball into right trying to get the runner at second.

Podsednik now hits a double play ball second but Renteria boots the ball. Everybody safe. Runners at second and third.

Nice of the Cards to return the favor... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

EDIT:

ALL RIGHT!! Crew up 2-1!

EDIT 2:

60 pitches through 3 innings... Pull Ben after five, and let the bullpen take over.

EDIT 3:

BEN GRIEVE GOES DEEP!!! 4-1!

Guess Matt Morris shouldn't have been handing out all those free passes... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

EDIT:

Of course, it seems like Ben Sheets is just as wild... four free passes himself...

EDIT 2:

And the free passes come back to bite Ben in the rear...

I don't think either pitching coach is going to be happy with today's game. I just hope we can outslug the Cards.

EDIT 3:

All tied up at 4. Okay, maybe they shouldn't be teaching Ben a change-up. How about a slider or knuckleball, instead?

EDIT 4:

Time for the bullpen?

Archived