Brewer Fanatic

04/07/04 Brewers (Kinney) @ Cardinals (Williams)

squarepusher
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's hard to comprehend Magic number's this far out because there are a lot of "built" in losses since teams have to play each other and such. Simplistically it goes down 1 everytime we win, and one more whenever we pick up ground on the current second place team.

DHonks-

The magic number right now would be 160; if the Brewers won 160 more games, they would clinch the division, so it cannot be any higher than that.

Of course, that number will go down when other teams in the division lose games & when the Brewers win. (When each team in the division has lost one game, the maximum possible wins needed to clinch is 161, moving the magic number down one.) Someone feel free to keep a counter going, but I daresay that might be getting ahead of things....a bit. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

you say the game wont be on Fox Sports North....will it be on Fox Sports Midwest

I dont expect anyone to know that, but where do you find out if games will be televised. I get Cards and Stros games so plug that in with the Cubs and Im hoping to see a lot of Brewerball this year.

anyone with a link to game/TV listings?

Right-hander Woody Williams, who has been bothered by shoulder tendinitis since before spring training, threw 34 pitches in his second simulated game March 15.

Talking to my buddy in STL I hear that this is still bothering Williams. He won?t last 4 innings tonight. Matt Kinney's ERA last year is very deceiving 5.19. If he was taking out earlier in the game like he should have been his ERA would be in the high 3.90's They left him in because are mid relief was horrible last year and then he gets shelled for 3-4 runs when he should be on the bench. If only he can improve his stamina. I hope Ned isn?t scared to take him out like last year. I see another win for the crew 10-8.

Go crew

I wonder, if Kinney can go as many as 5 innings while not allowing more then 2 runs, if Ned would take him out and put in Hernandez for 6-7-8 and then someone else (Ford?) in the 9th (if we are so lucky).

the only thing about these first few games is that our bullpen is getting stretched thin already. Today I would have to guess that the bullpen arms most likely to be used in order are Hernandez, Kieschnick, Burba, Ford, Bennet, Viz, Kolb. realistically, I'd be surprised to see more than the first 3 used.

If he was taking out earlier in the game like he should have been his ERA would be in the high 3.90's

If we take that one logical step further....IF Yost removed him every game before it started he would have a 0.00 ERA.

Soooooo, um, will the game be on MLB total ticket or not? No because it's Wed? MLB total ticket sucks if you are just looking for a particular team.

I just went to the mlb.com forum for the Cardinals. Plenty of "LaRussa is a jag" talk there http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

The Wednesday night restriction was lifted this season, so Extra Innings and MLB.TV can show whatever they want on Wednesdays. The only restrictions are on Saturday afternoons when FOX is showing a game and Sunday nights.

As far as whether or not the Brewer game will be available, I think that if you're in Wisconsin, all Brewer games will be blacked out on Extra Innings and MLB.TV. I hope I'm wrong though, it'd be great to see tonight's and tomorrow's game with the St. Louis broadcast.

Today I would have to guess that the bullpen arms most likely to be used in order are Hernandez, Kieschnick, Burba, Ford, Bennet, Viz, Kolb. realistically, I'd be surprised to see more than the first 3 used.

I think they will go with Kieschnick first. Yost will most likely need more then one inning of relief and Kieschnick can hit. But, I suppose that all depends on when they pull Kinney and next up in the order and so on..

As far as MLB.TV goes, last year all Brewer games were blacked out from Wisconsin viewers. I paid the 2.95 price for a day pass once looking for a game that was not being broadcast locally and was not allowed to watch.

Now, if you use a credit card with an out of state address on it you might be able to cirrcumvent that, but be warned there is a 100.00 fine if caught.

But, then again if they are checking your IP (which is more likely), and your not hack-tastic, you won't have a chance.

Clancy's subtle influence seems to be taking hold. You know, this is going to sound crazy, but if Kinney fails to deliver a quality start tonight, maybe we might want to give him a few more starts before dismissing him. I mean, I know Ben Sheets and Doug Davis have set the bar pretty high the past couple of days with their quality starts -- oh, wait . . .

Greg.

It must be because I didn't watch a whole lot of games last year, but from what I rememember of Kinney I didn't think he was that[/]i bad. I know the Brewers had a hell of a lot of worse guys they could have thrown.

Kinney in mid summer had the second lowest oppnents batting average in the league through 6 innings I believe. He just got in trouble late in games, but that's still pretty impressive. He just didn't perform well in the closing months.

I just don't understand that bashing he gets here. He's still relatively young and has had only one season. I think he should be given at least a chance this season instead of writing him off before the first g

Quote:
As far as MLB.TV goes, last year all Brewer games were blacked out from Wisconsin viewers. I paid the 2.95 price for a day pass once looking for a game that was not being broadcast locally and was not allowed to watch.

Now, if you use a credit card with an out of state address on it you might be able to cirrcumvent that, but be warned there is a 100.00 fine if caught.

But, then again if they are checking your IP (which is more likely), and your not hack-tastic, you won't have a chance.

I've just found out the hard way that they go by credit card zip codes. I live in MN, but since my credit card address is in WI, so I won't be able to watch any games.

edit: actually, it looks like all 7pm games are blacked out. i may be in luck after all.

Podsednik gets a IF 1B in the first steals second, but is stranded.

Kinney with a rough start gives up 3 singles and 1 ER in the first. He's getting ahead on hitters, but not finishing.

He makes up for it with an RBI single with two away in the second.

Kinney with an RBI single to right and Helms scored 1-1.

EDIT:

Top of the third Helms singles to center Overbay and Jenks score. 3-1 'crew

Overbay doubled and Jenkins walked

EDIT:

bottom of the third. Pujols doubles and scores on a rolen ground out. 3-2 crew

Good to see Eldred regain his velocity and stuff. I've seen several hit 90 tonight. Last year he was around 83 or 84 whenever I saw him. Of course, his fastball still looks extremely straight.

For whatever reason, I think Keith Ginter would match up better against Woody Williams than Wes Helms. Williams has some nasty stuff and I think Ginter's compact stroke would give him a better chance to be successful. If I am Yost, I give Helms a day off and let Ginter have a start.

Uh, never mind. Helms just got his third hit of the game.

Silly me. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Matt Kinney is 2/3 at the plate. If Ben Grieve doesn't pan out we can always plug Kinney in at RF. I don't know if he has a good enough arm though.

In all seriousness, it's going to take Sheets several weeks to catch up to Kinney in the batting race.

Archived