Brewer Fanatic

04/10/04 Houston (Redding) @ Milwaukee (Sheets)

squarepusher
From everything I've read, a typical radar gun is accurate to within 1 MPH. That's not to say it was't calibrated corectly, it might read high, but it would be CONSISTANTLY high. If a radar gun was typically off by 5%-10%, they would be almost useless for many applications. A radar gun that was off 10% could show a Sheets fastball at 83, or a Quevado fastball at 101 http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Endaround...

Of those 6 pitchers only wood is capable of reaching 99. Wood and Prior have serious injury concerns. I certainly dont think Mulder or Hudson have the stuff of Sheets allthough they have good track records. Arm for arm I wouldnt be willing to deal sheets for either based on how Ben looks right now.

Yes....Prior and Vasquez are pitchers that it would be hard to pass on....but my point all along is that if Ben can stand out there and throw strikes at 98-99 mph for 6-7 innings there isnt a long list of guys that can match that. I stand by that statement.

In fact I think the only one on that list who can go 98 for 7 is probably Wood but I dont really know what his velocity is like this year.

The point is...based on what Bens arm is looking like right now....there arent very many guys I would be willing to deal him for straight up. Starters who hit 99 for 6-7 innings are not common.

If he continues to throw like he did this week he leaps towards the top of the list in MLB.

The point is...based on what Bens arm is looking like right now....there arent very many guys I would be willing to deal him for straight up.

It's pretty silly to proclaim him untouchable after 1 dominant game. Silly being a kinder adjective compared to downright stupid.

Starters who hit 99 for 6-7 innings are not common.

I don't know of a single study where MPH has been correlated with success. Todd Van Poppel had an electric arm and was considered a top of the rotation pitcher, but he never succeeded as a starter. Speed is a horrible measure of success for a pitcher. Give me a 92MPH pitcher who knows how to pitch versus a 99MPH thrower any day.

If he continues to throw like he did this week he leaps towards the top of the list in MLB.

Sure, if he CONTINUES to throw that good, but we've been teased by Ben before and until he becomes consistantly good he's just another #3 starter pretending to be a #1.

You go on record saying you only actually watch the Brewers 35% of the time and then run your fat mouth.

I'ts not necessary to watch every inning of every game to make intelligent comments about the Brewers, nor is it sufficient to watch most of the Brewers games to come out with intelligent comments. You seem to be hung up on the fact that I haven't seen every Brewer game, but after 1 good game you're proclaiming Sheets untouchable. Wow, that's internally consistant! I don't make rush judgments on players based on 1 AB, 1IP, or even 1 game and I don't need 500AB or 200IP to come to conclusions about players. Do you need to see every AB from Bonds and Pujols to know they are the best in the business? I've probably only seem a dozen AB for both in the last year, but that's enough for me based on their stats to know they are the elite players in the game. I don't need to see every pitch by Wayne Franklin to know he's not suited for a ML starter, nor do I need to see every game Matt Kinney pitches in to see that he has potential, but seems to give up too many multiple run HR and a ton of runs late in games. It's not how often you see something scoop, it's the ability to see something consistantly and to use all of the information to come to a conclusion.

We are all waiting.

Endaround's list was pretty good,

Oswalt, Hudson, Mulder, Prior, Wood, Vasquez, Webb.

And I'd probably add Zambrano, Halladay, Santana, Morris for young guys and probably Pineiro, Padilla and Wade Miller. If you throw in older guys like Schilling, Pedro, and Schmidt the list gets pretty long without even touching Millwood, Wolf, Lowe, and Ponson.

Are you willing to deal Bens arm away right now?? I am not.

For the right deal I'd trade any Brewer player. period. Even one who's had 1 dominant game. Just to let you in on a little secret that seems to work for most things in life, you sell high and buy low. If Ben keeps it up and Boston, the Yankees, or some other playoff caliber team wants to give us the sun and the moon and the stars for Ben you bet I'd trade him.

There is NO WAY in hell that on April 12th, 2004 you would deal Sheets for 1/3 of those mentioned. Right now, today I dont believe a GM is going to deal a pitcher who threw in the upper 90's for 6 innings for anyone straight up. No chance.

I am not saying that in May, if sheets is back down to 93mph and pitching only above average that his status wont change. I am saying that.....as of today.....there arent many guys who you could even consider dealing Ben for. Not after his last start.

I am not rushing to judgement about anything. I am saying as of 4-12-04, status quo, Sheets is untouchable.

Archived