Brewer Fanatic

04/10/04 Houston (Redding) @ Milwaukee (Sheets)

squarepusher

The Brewers have a favorable matchup with their ace going against the Astros' #5 as the crew try to rebound after a rough loss.

NL Standings:

NATIONAL LEAGUE CENTRAL ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ TEAM WON LOST PCT GB HOME ROAD EAST CENT WEST STREAK CINCINNATI 3 1 .750 - 3-1 0-0 00-00 03-01 00-00 WON 3 [b]MILWAUKEE 3 2 .600 1/2 0-1 3-1 00-00 03-02 00-00 LOST 1[/b] CHICAGO CUBS 2 2 .500 1 0-0 2-2 01-00 01-02 00-00 WON 1 PITTSBURGH 2 2 .500 1 2-1 0-1 02-01 00-01 00-00 LOST 1 HOUSTON 2 2 .500 1 1-2 1-0 00-00 01-00 01-02 WON 2 ST LOUIS 2 3 .400 1 1/2 1-3 1-0 00-00 01-03 01-00 WON 1 

Brewerfan.net / Statfox Matchup info:

www.brewerfan.net/matchup.jsp

MLB.com game preview:

milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mil/news/mil_news.jsp?ymd=20040409&content_id=698982&vkey=news_mil&fext=.jsp

ESPN game preview:

sports.espn.go.com/mlb/preview?gameId=240410108

Yahoo! game preview:

sports.yahoo.com/mlb/preview?gid=240410108

Fox Sports game preview:

www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2308290

Fox Sports gametrax:

www.foxsports.com/named/FS/MLB/gameTrax?gameId=240410108

CNNSi game preview:

sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/previews/2004/04/10/6591_preview.html

SportsTicker game preview:

Houston (2-2) at Milwaukee (3-2) 2:05 pm EDT

----------------------------------------------------------------

MILWAUKEE (Ticker) -- The Houston Astros try to continue their

recent offensive production on Saturday when the play the middle

contest of a three-game series against the Milwaukee Brewers at

Miller Park.

The Astros have scored 23 runs in their last two games and are

coming off a 13-7 triumph over the Brewers here on Friday.

The game was tied, 2-2, before Houston produced nine runs in the

sixth inning, the last four on a grand slam by Jeff Bagwell,

who also had and RBI single in the third.

Richard Hidalgo continued his hot start for the Astros, driving

in four runs.

Pitching matchup:

Houston - Tim Redding (10-14, 3.68, 2003); last season vs. Milwaukee

(1-1, 4.91).

Milwaukee - Ben Sheets (0-0, 8.10); last season vs. Houston

(2-0, 3.33).

Who's Hot:

Houston - 1B Bagwell, 8-for-14, seven runs, eight RBI; RF

Hidalgo, 10-for-18, five runs, nine RBI.

Milwaukee - C Gary Bennett, 5-for-8.

Who's Not:

Houston - LF Lance Berkman, 2-for-13.

Milwaukee - 2B Junior Spivey, 3-for-21, six strikeouts.

2004 Series: Houston, 1-0; All-time series: Houston, 56-34.

Injuries:

Houston - None.

Milwaukee - None.

Upcoming probables:

Houston - Roy Oswalt (0-0, 4.91) at Milwaukee - Doug Davis (1-0,

5.6http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/glasses.gif , April 11

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would say that it's not a favorable pitching matchup. From the times I've seen Redding, I would claim he's as good as Sheets, possibly better. He throws in the mid 90s, has a good changeup, and has other solid secondary pitches.

04/10/04 Redding (Miller) @ Sheets (Obermueller)

The lingering effects of a long Opening Day?http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/happy.gif

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Not only is Sheets throwing his curve perfectly nearly every time, but the Astros hitters are being frozen by some and missing the others. I don't recall him ever striking out more than 1 or 2 guys in a game on it, but he probably has 3 or 4 on the curve today, 1 on the changeup, and the rest on the 4-seamer

Edit: Also, Sheets has looked pissed out there. I've never seen this focus from him before. I love it.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Funny, I would have thought that after the Cards series, where we didn't childishly retaliate for hitting batters, that the Brewers would be too "intimidated" to score after Jenks got hit.

Just play the d**n game. The other stuff will sort itself out.

Pop Quiz: Sheets has thrown 103 pitches in his second start, but is dominating a very good offensive club. Do you try to get 7 out of him?

I would think you let him try for one more. He's dominating, and he threw few pitches last time out.

Edit: Seeing Durrington there answers the question

Yost just answered the Sheets question--Durrington is pinch hitting. Great outing by Sheets. Let's hope the pen finishes it.
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

You think maybe Ben saw how people here have been dissing him? If so, let me say to the critics -- as one who has disagreed with them -- my bad. Nice work!

So, he's up to 103 pitches, and it's April, and he may have shown a bit of weakness that last inning. On the other hand, he's on fire. Do you pull him, or leave him out there? I care a lot more about his health for the season than I do about risking this game, but I'm wishy-washy, so I say send him out for the 7th but be ready with the quick hook.

Greg.

Interesting move to walk Pods with the heart of the order coming up. Must be sure they are going to get a DP out of Counsell. Would have been nice if Yost pinch hit there.

edit: ok I'll eat my words.

How weird is it that Overbay is the only hitter on the team with more than 8 AB who hasn't walked yet? (The only others without a walk are Bennett, with 8 AB, and Hall, with 3; Lyle has 24.) I love it -- I'm confident Overbay will take his walks, and everybody else is working the count. Of course, so are the pitchers (before today), but I'm going to keep it positive.

Greg.

What a fun game to watch. Sheets did look great. You could tell in the first inning that he was a lot more composed on the mound and he wasn't rushing his delivery.

I'm happy they took him out after 6. No reason to send him back out there with his pitch count at where it was. It also worked well considering the Brewers bottom of the 6th was as long as it was.

Sounds like it was good game.

Funny, Jenkins is going to be the last regular to get his first dinger.

Sheets, according to Uecker, was hitting 96-98 routinely???!!!

His 99th pitch hit 98mph...

Archived