Brewer Fanatic

04/09/04 Astros (Miller) @ Brewers (Obermueller)

squarepusher
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if Yost will wait until every starting pitcher this year falls apart before pulling them.

Obermeller is an odd guy. He has alot of movement on his pitches, but doesn't have much control at all. Rarely did it seem like Bennet got the ball where he wanted it. Still, it was working well enough until the 6th.

Did anyone else feel like they saw that coming? I was sitting here trying to get a tiny bit of work done while I checked the game here and there...then I saw Bagwell, Kent, et al starting the sixth...wondered will the wheels come off for Obermeuller?

I might have yanked him, to take advantage of the much-ballyhooed guys who can go multiple innings. Then again, Ford isn't looking particularly special either...

I can't agree rluzinski. Wes had very good control today, changing speeds and placing pitches where he wanted against a VERY tough lineup. He also showed no signs of being tired. I was kind of surprised Yost pulled him when he did. Yes, we should have a good pen. But when the pitcher is holding his own against a tough lineup, and has a rather low pitch count for the 6th inning, I would stick with him.

I should add of course that I'm just watching lines of text on the screen, so I can't see whether a pitcher looks tired, etc...appreciate the insights from those who can.

And, honestly, there's something to be said for letting a guy like Obermeuller face those guys, take his lumps or pull it off, and learn from the experience either way.

id like to clear up that i was talking about ford, not obie...ford pretty much hernandez-ed it after obie went out....

i like the ground balls that obie gets...i dont like that half of them are hits...

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. If Yost had a couple of guys in the bully he could trust I'm sure he would have pulled Obey sooner. Looks like nothing but gas cans out there so far this year. Just to get off on a slight tangent, no excuse for even the lowest payroll team to have two real solid vets in the pen. Doesn't cost much, and you know you're going to need them.

Archived