Brewer Fanatic

04/09/04 Astros (Miller) @ Brewers (Obermueller)

squarepusher

Your Milwaukee Brewers come home after convincingly taking the series in St. Louis with a winning record of 3-1.

Brewerfan.net / Statfox matchup info:

www.brewerfan.net/matchup.jsp

ESPN game preview:

sports.espn.go.com/mlb/preview?gameId=240409108

FOX Sports game preview:

www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2305472

FOX Sports gametrax:

www.foxsports.com/named/FS/MLB/gameTrax?gameId=240409108

MLB.com press notes:

presspass.mlb.com/pp_viewer.asp?d=16452

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone know if Yost will be starting Bennett today? Sort of strange to start your backup catcher for your home opener, but then Obemueller wasn't removed yesterday even with the game well in hand, so I suspect we'll be seeing the player who wishes he was as good as Osik.

Bennett will always start for Obermueller.

What I hate is Yost's excuse for not changing pitching/catching duos. He thinks it's better for a pitcher to have the same guy catch him no matter what. Whether you agree or not with that logic, atleast it's not completely unreasonable. When perez was having a hot start and Osik was embarrassing himself, Yost used basically used the above as an excus not to mess with the playing time. Of course when Osik lost one of the pitchers he was catching for (Rusch), Yost simply gave Osik one of Perez's pitchers.

Yost must simply think a catcher should only play 60% of the time, at most. Afterall, don't people understand how IMPORTANT a backup catcher is! Don't they understand that without the backup catcher a team could NEVER have made their only world series appearance!! The backup catcher is KEY!!!!

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Well Yost was a catcher so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Well, Bennett was hot in his first start, and had a big spring, so I don't mind him playing 2/5ths of the games for now. Plus, it does keep Moeller fresher, and I'm sure Yost does know more than I do about how easy it is for a catcher to wear down

Well, Bennett was hot in his first start, and had a big spring, so I don't mind him playing 2/5ths of the games for now. Plus, it does keep Moeller fresher, and I'm sure Yost does know more than I do about how easy it is for a catcher to wear down

I agree, right now Bennett hasn't looked crappy and Moeller hasn't set the world on fire, so I'm fine seeing Moeller start just 3/5 of the games, especially since he's still getting his feet wet in the bigs. Should Bennett play like crap as expected, and if Moeller has a breakout year, I'd be pretty miffed if Moeller doesn't start more than he currently is.

Yost also cut his teeth in Atlanta, where they swear by the "certain catchers for certain pitchers" rule. Javy Lopez was pretty darn good last season but still only appeared in 120 games as a catcher, including late inning substitutions. He missed some time with a hamstring injury, but he still only caught Maddux once or twice the whole year. I guess what you need to ask is whether the Braves won all those years in spite of the catching system or were they better for it? On a side note, most starting pitchers will tell you that they prefer to have the same catcher, if that should be taken into consideration.

In an earth-shattering development I actually agree with Yost!!!

Ok, everyone sit down and stop hyperventilating, that's not the signal for the end of the world. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I agree that it's best to keep catching/pitching tandems in place. Pitcher's do become familiar with catchers and each learn's about the other. Having a pitcher comfortable with the catcher is important when pitch selection and location are "agreed" upon. Nedly even shows some flexibility in this respect as I believe Sheets started exclusively with Perez, when the results were less than steller, Ned switched Osik to Sheets and that appeared to lead to a better stretch for Ben until he got injured.

Good news: The Crew is still working the count.

Bad news: They need to do better than two foul outs and a strikeout looking.

EDIT:

Down 1-0. Okay, folks, we let them think they have a chance, now, CRUSH WADE MILLER.

EDIT 2:

This is getting frustrating. Work the count, get the opposing pitcher to 30 pitches by the end of the second inning...

AND HE'S STILL PERFECT!!!!

I'm more concerned with Hall's playing time than Moeller's. Moeller will get plenty of starts as it is.

And I still don't know what role Yost was expecting Durrington to play on the team. Designated towel waver?

Robert

And I still don't know what role Yost was expecting Durrington to play on the team.

hence why I felt we'd get more use out of a 13th pitcher.

I'm more concerned with Hall's playing time than Moeller's

Hall will play enough. I figure some weeks one start, some weeks 3 starts. Plus he'll pinch hit another couple of times a week. In the end, he'll probably play in 120 or so games, which is more than enough for a player who has never met a pitch he wanted to take and should probably be in AAA based on minor league performance. At the same time, I like Billy and think he'll learn a lot as a part-time player off the bench.

And I still don't know what role Yost was expecting Durrington to play on the team. Designated towel waver?

Durrington is the 2004 Enrique Cruz. He'll pinch hit early in the game if our starter is getting rocked and maybe pick up a few innings late in blowouts.

And I agree with David (and Nedley) about the catching platoon... given that the better catcher (Moeller) is getting more playing time, and given that we'll skip the fifth starter a bunch of times, Moeller will get close to 75% of the starts, I'd guess. Hopefully he'll stay fresh that way, and Bennett will still be somewhat productive in his starts. Having set pitcher/catcher matchups definitely makes sense, as it creates an increased level of comfort between the two. I'd rather have Moeller catch the 1-2-4-5 and Bennett 3, but giving him the fifth starter isn't the end of the world.

~Bill

Astros up 2-0, Podsednik led off with a bunt sing in the 4th...

We need luck - Wade Miller's pitchin'

EDIT: Scotty stole second...

Sac bunt, get Scotty to third, and let's get it back to a one-run game.

EDIT 2:

A deep fly ball to center will do...

EDIT 3:

I'm ready to trade Spivey for the first good offer...

Strikes out looking with a runner on third? Is the ump's zone big?

Two-out single, brings Scotty home.

Now, if Lyle can only bring Geoff home...

EDIT:

Overbay with a double the other way - tied at 2!!!

C'mon, Wes, a single the other way give the Crew the lead...

EDIT 2:

I'll take a 2-2 tie... Wade Miller at 67 pitches after four innings. Not as high as I'd like, but if the Crew can just do enough in the fifth, the Astros will have to go to their middle relievers...

Well, the 4th proved Wade Miller can be touched... let's see if Grieve and Bennett do better the second time around... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

EDIT:

Grieve fies out to right on a 2-2 count... at least five pitches there.

Edit 2:

And Gary Bennet gives Miller a break by swinging on 1-0, grounder to second. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/mad.gif

EDIT 3:

Well, Miller had to pitch a bit... the Crew's got him to 82 pitches. He might go the 6th, but not much past that. The best shot for an upset may be the 7th inning.

Archived