Brewer Fanatic

04/08/04 Brewers (Capuano) @ Cardinals (Suppan)

squarepusher
Igor, I would have to agree. I have stated all along the Cards would be much closer to first than they would be to fourth. While fully aware of their mainstays(Rolen, Renteria, Edmunds, Pujols, Matheny), I was unaware of Womack and Lankford as everyday players. Those two and Sanders will strikeout frequently. It's kind of an atypical LaRussa team. He prefers to have the interchangeable parts and be able to hit and run. I don't see him being able to do alot of that with the latter three guys. Since I don't like to backpedal, I won't at this time, but can say a fourth place finish(not necessarily saying the Brewers would be the ones finishing third) doesn't seem out of the question based on their roster makeup. They have no farm system from which to draw from(sound familiar) either.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kiko Calero is probably already on his way to St. Louis to help bail out the bullpen.

I think LaRussa sometimes believes his own hype about how he can mix and match players to maximize tactical effectiveness and has forgotten that it helps to have good players on the bench and in the bullpen to begin with. Things like So Taguchi leading off makes me think that LaRussa isn't long for his job if the Cardinals don't get things straightened out in a hurry.

Robert

lend,

While it's a way too early to boast about a prediction I made about the Cardinals finishing closer to last than to first, this series did expose them.

Last year they were much deeper team. Throw a lefty at them, and they had Eduardo Perez in the lineup who kills lefties. Need a clutch pinch hit? They had Orlando Palmiero. Aging Reggie Sanders as good as he was last year with Bucs, is not an upgrade over Drew.

They can still hit, but its just not as balanced a roster and they are resting hope on a starting rotation that really doesn't scare anybody.

John, if that was your prediction and it comes true, I will tip my hat(how do you like it)http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/pimp.gif to you. I can honestly say I was unaware of their offseason moves, but didn't think it mattered based on the direction of the Brewers, Reds and Pirates. Unlike basketball, baseball can be a sport where you truly are only as good as your weakest link. The Cards might be showing a little rust.

Clancy - I know you were calling for a brush back pitch but I think the pitch that hit Ginter was unintentional. And by the pissed off look of LaRussa, I am sure he didn't call for it. I don't like LaRussa as a manager but I do know that his reputation across the MLB is that he doesn't tolerate that from his pitchers.

As for the brewers being 3-1.....YAHOOOOOO!!!!

This weekends matchup against Houston should be interesting since we are not facing the potential weekend rotation of Oswalt, Pettite & Clemens.

Just a quick FYI, the Twins won 2 World Series and never responded to the immature game of "you hit my guy, I hit yours". They were too busy playing hard and winning games. In my world, the Cards couldn't pitch worth a damn, so they threw at guys. The Crew pitched mediocre at best, but limited baserunners and didn't throw 85 pitches to get through 4 innings.

I'll let the Cards and anyone else get all the moral victories they want, as they mean nothing to me. I'll maximize my runs scored and minimize the other guys scored for 162 and worry about the extracurricular crap then. They can laugh their way to the loser's lounge all year for all I care. I'll take the W's.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Gotta agree with Al. Hitting the other teams batters in retaliation is petty. I know "that's the way it's done" and all, but I can't buy Clancy's line of "we're going to be intimidated"

Do you think the Astros are looking at

A) 2 of our batters got hit and we didn't retaliate?

or

B) We beat the hell out of the Cards in St. Louis to take 3 of 4?

I'm glad the Brewers didn't get suckered into one of LaRussa's petty little beanball wars. I'll let Dusty and Tony go play their "who's got bigger cojones" games and make themselves look foolish.

BTW, when was the last time Bobby Cox got into one of those foolish episodes? And all he's done is win for the last 13 years.

Robert

With all of the crticizing Yost has taken, his philosiphy must be somewhere near Cox's because he worked with Cox for what? 11 years. And if it is part of Cox's phil. I sure am a lot happier that we have Yost than someone else. When you rip Yost, keep in mind that he has brought probably one of the MLB Historie's best manager's philosiphy to MIL. You are really ripping Cox when u rip Yost.

Milwaukee 3 1 .750 Pittsburgh 2 1 .667 Cincinnati 2 1 .667 Houston 1 2 .333 Chicago 1 2 .333 St. Louis 1 3 .250

Yeah, just like everyone said, it's a two-tiered NL Central this year http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Archived