Brewer Fanatic

5/31/05 Brewers (Obie-1) @ Padres (Peavy) 9:05 CST

Maybe if we just look at this evenings game, we can ease the sting from last night's tough loss.

Wes Obermuller ® (1-0 2.43 ERA)

@

Jake Peavy ® (5-0 2.00 ERA)

Scouting Report:

Manager Ned Yost decided to keep Obermueller in the starting rotation and move right-hander Gary Glover to long relief when ace Ben Sheets returned from the disabled list over the weekend. Obermueller had been solid filling in for Sheets, allowing one earned run in 14 innings spanning his two most recent starts. Of his 10 appearances this season, four have been spot starts.

Coming off the best performance of his young career, Peavy is at the top of his game. Still throwing 94 mph in the ninth inning, he shut out the Diamondbacks on two hits, facing one over the minimum. The Padres are 9-1 in Peavy's starts. He has 73 strikeouts and 12 walks in 72 innings, and opponents are batting .200 against him.

Quote:
"He's going to kill himself over this, and it's not fair. He comes to the ballpark every day, and we all know what he did this winter to get here. He just made a mistake, but that mistake did not solely cost us the game." -- third base coach Rich Donnelly, on Jeff Cirillo's baserunning miscue in the ninth inning Monday

I dunno, maybe Rich Donnelly could blame himself a bit too.

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dunno, maybe Rich Donnelly could blame himself a bit too.

Except it wasn't Donnelly at all. Cirillo explained that he (for whatever reason) was trying to make Greene give him a long look before throwing to first, hoping to buy Hall an extra second or whatever, and overestimated his ability to get back in time. It's all on him.

This is going to be tough. Peavy is one of the top 10 pitchers in baseball period, and coming off that great start against Arizona we have to get a run or 2 early and hope Obie can hold it down like he has been. If we lose lets at least not make stupid errors and mental mistakes that make the Crew beat themselves.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Except it wasn't Donnelly at all.

Fair enough ja002h. I didn't see/ hear that interview. I guess I kind of assumed that Donnelly was partially to blame. I mean R.D. should have IMO opinion, told Cirrillo something like: "Ground ball, and you must stay on the bag. Do not get caught off third."

Maybe that actually was said. Maybe Cirrillo totally ignored the instructions of the third base coach. Either way, I think that Ned Yost needs to call these two guys to the carpet. Constant baserunning mistakes have taken us out of too many games already, and it is the most important thing to address right now I think.

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

One interesting matchup to watch tonight is Peavy vs. Jenkins. If you remember, Jenkins hit 3 HR's off of Peavy in a game a couple of years ago at Miller Park. Granted, Peavy is a much better pitcher now than he was back in '03, but hopefully Jenkins can do some damage tonight with the stick, and not just his glove.

It doesn't do any good to call Cirillo out for his mistake...he is a veteran not a rookie...he knows he messed up and he is professional enough to make sure he doesn't do it again. If it was Hardy out there, then maybe let him know how bad he messed up...Cirillo already knows. Bashing him for it again is overkill IMO.

I love these 9:00pm games fits in perfect to my schedule home just in time from umpiring to flip on the brewers! Tonite's game honestly scares me! Peavy is downright scary good and I am scared that he is just going to dominate us tonite. But hopefully Obie can have another great outing and if we can score a couple of runs maybe just maybe we can have a repeat of last nights game and hopefully come out on the winning end of it this time..

A couple of other notes on the game: I hope JJ starts tonite and Bill hall plays second. Sit Spivey i know that recently he has improved i still think that we ride hall/hardy till they slow down. I know hardy is not hitting but his Defense is so good that it makes up for his lack of hitting ablity.

Home again and with a 56k dial up so hard to chat... GO BREWERS OFF TO UMP!

MILWAUKEE SAN DIEGO AVG HR RBI AVG HR RBI Brady Clark CF .330 6 23 Dave Roberts CF .285 2 21 Junior Spivey 2B .242 4 15 Geoff Blum 3B .274 3 14 Geoff Jenkins RF .266 4 18 Ryan Klesko LF .267 10 28 Carlos Lee LF .265 12 44 Brian Giles RF .296 7 32 Lyle Overbay 1B .296 7 28 Phil Nevin 1B .267 8 37 Damian Miller C .271 2 12 Ramon Hernandez C .301 6 29 Russell Branyan 3B .242 5 15 Khalil Greene SS .282 3 18 J.J. Hardy SS .178 0 11 Damian Jackson 2B .241 1 4 Wes Obermueller RHP .222 0 0 Jake Peavy RHP .063 0 0 (1-0, 2.43) (5-0, 2.00)

Not able to watch the game on MLB.TV today at work due to local black out... Was at the game yesterday... have some things to say and discussions to start but after that finish i'm leaving it alone... That last ball four was terribly placed.. ***..

Archived