Brewer Fanatic

06/06/05 Yankees (Johnson) @ Brewers (Davis) 7:05 CST

Just got back from the game a little while ago. Awesome game except I reallly dont get one thing. Why was Jeter booed so loudly every time he came to the plate? I can understand Sheffield, Giambi etc... but Jeter?? That guy is a class act and has never done anything to deserve the ire of Brewer fans. I guess its just most likely all the bandwagon Red Sox fans that think they're cool because they hate on the Yankees. Maybe I'm just a little biased since Jeter was like my idol in grade school/high school but whatever, i was just kinda annoyed by that.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No idea why, but there's a hatred of Jeter in America that seems to be even stronger than a hatred of the Yankees or Red Sox. I don't get it. The guy is a 1st ticket hall of famer, likely to finish with over 3000 hits, and has won more rings than many organizations.

I'm pretty sure it's nothing personal to Jeter. He is the posterboy of the Yankees, and most people around here hate the Yankees. He's a great player, but he gets way too much pub because he plays in New York. He's not even the best shortstop on his own team.

Also, he's a prettyboy. But I dislike Sheffield and Giambi much more.

My family bailed on me, so I took my new Canon S2 IS (12x zoom) to the game instead. I just got it last week and have not mastered its features, but I thought I would share a few cropped images from the glorious victory.

It's easy to do with photoshop, but so much more fun to do with the camera.

http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zac/green.jpg

swapping colors is fun too!

Instead of his cutlass, tonight the captain wielded his feather sword

http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zac/sharpie.jpg

A few miracles...

number 1

numero dos

number 3

I hear that girls only like guys with skills. (like karate skills)

Nobody fears the Dread Pirate Wesley

I think the radar gun clocked Randy's head at 107.

http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zac/woah.jpg

It's bacon!

Dressed for radio.

The new boss.

You know why people hate Derek Jeter? Because he is the most overated player to play the last ten years. Its hard to do that when you're a HOFer, but its been done. He's never been the best player at his postion even though people act like he is. In fact he's never been the best player on his own team. He is terrible defensively but no one calls him on it. He boots a DP ball and gets praised when ARod bails out his bad throw to third. He calls off players to get a foulf ball then whiffs it. He hasn't been"clutch" for most of his career but people say he has been. He gets paid over $20 million a year but his name never comes up when talking about out of control salaries.

Any one else having fun reading the message boards of the Yankees. Man there's some hilarious stuff in there. People talking about selling their tickets for not winning and stuff like that. I guess its how the Packers fans are going to feel when it starts happening to them.

Re: Jeter:

I get to watch him everyday, and he is the 21st century version of Robin Yount.

Think about it: He's got the same swing, plays the same position, has the same power numbers, same leadership qualities, same baserunning skills, same defensive skills, same performance in clutch, same popularity, same athletic ability, ...

Jeter is absolutely the real deal. Like Yount, you can't measure him fully with numbers. You have to watch him play everyday to appreciate all of the things he does to help his team win.

Yount almost missed the cut for being a first-ballot HOF'er because people were basing his career solely on his numbers. Brewer fans know that Yount's greatest attributes were ones that didn't always show up in the box score.

Jeter has the same attributes and is one of the few throwback players left in the majors. I think if he played 20 years ago he'd be more appreciated than he is today in the steroid era.

Nice pictures, ICN.

So what was the approximate yankee-Brewers fan ratio? It didn't sound as lopsided as when the Cubs "visit", but then again the visitor fans had less reason to get going.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I to was at the game tonight sitting in the left field bleachers. Great game! I had a good feeling when we scored some runs right away of Unit. I love Turnbow, but damn he makes it scary sometimes but still got the job done. Here is to Benny getting back on track tonight with win #2! Go Brewers! Oh yeah booing Sheffield was a great high point of the night as well.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

My two cents on Jeter:

Jeter is he is seen as the consummate yankee, but it is really all about himself. Fine, last year he went flying into the stands snagging a foul ball while Nomar sulked on the red sox bench. But the incident that is most telling, and makes me more angry than anything else, is that he REMAINED at SS when Arod came over.

Jeter is at best an average SS, Arod was arguably the games best SS. On top of that Jeter is the team captain. Any player, including little leaguers, especially a team captain, would accept that it is best for the team to move over. But Jeter's ego got in the way and he didn't move to 3rd or possibly 2nd. Why this didn't and doesn't get more publicity is beyond me.

In the end, the Yankees are worse off, Arod's defense has been neutralized by having to play 3rd, and I get way too much joy watching Jeter bobble plays at SS. So it's a win-win for Yankees haters (myself included), but I do miss seeing good baseball too, and that means Arod at SS

Archived