Brewer Fanatic

06/06/05 Yankees (Johnson) @ Brewers (Davis) 7:05 CST

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wasn't a great throw by Wes...but i have to think if Moeller is anywhere NEAR the plate, he should make the play... additional question, how come every pitch not right down the middle results in a wild pitch? Doesn't chad know which pitch is coming?

Questionable ball 4, Walk

Weak grounder find a hole

Bloop RBI single

Walk

Stupid Play by Helms

Wild Pitch (Can Moeller stop ANY ball in the dirt??)

That's how teams score on the Brewers. Not ONE good hit.

stupid play by helms, but it was still a great play to get to it.

you want to talk about the way the ball is bouncing, look no farther than Hall's DP. He hits a liner over the head of the pitcher. Unfortunately the only pitcher in the big leagues capable of catching that ball is the one on the mound

but i have to think if Moeller is anywhere NEAR the plate, he should make the play

rwa12, I was wondering the same thing. Did Moeller forget there was a force at the plate, as he made no effort to keep his left foot on/near the plate? Why was he trying to catch Helms' throw several feet infront of the plate and off to the side, instead of with a foot on the plate?

Is it just me or would Cano have easily caught that ball that Jeter ultimately went for on the highlight reel that they frequently show?

Also, Wynegar needs to be fired, if only to stir things up a bit. I'm not blaming him necessarily, but rather the status quo.

< *** Tonight's Historical Note *** >

Bill Schroeder mentioned on tonight's FSN North broadcast of the Yankees and Brewers that Teddy Higuera struggled mightily in his career against Don Mattingly, who raked the Brewers ace southpaw.

An interesting observation, I thought, as Mattingly was a left-handed hitter and Higuera was an outstanding left-handed pitcher. And Schroeder should know what he's talking about... he caught Higuera for years, after all.

But alas, a quick query on Retrosheet reveals that Higuera did reasonably well against Mattingly. From 1985 through 1991 (the years that Retrosheet has game logs; the two might have faced each other in two more games, once in 1993 and once in 1994, but those results are not included), Mattingly faced Higuera 67 times and batted .284 with a .284 on-base average (no walks) and a .447 slugging average. His 731 OPS against Higuera was well below his career OPS of 830. Higuera didn't dominate him, of course, but neither did Mattingly own the big Mexican.

Interesting.

Now back to your regularly scheduled game thread.

~Bill

Geoff Jenkins doesn't like Napoleon Dynamite. Jeff Cirillo called it the dumbest movie ever.

Matt Wise and Derrick Turnbow, on the other hand, dig it.

All the more reason to hate on Jenks. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

~Bill

Ned, do you need a sign from heaven or what???

"Doug is a battler and he was really battling out there. He's earned the opportunity to finish the job and I didn't want to bring in a reliever and see Davis lose the game like that. He was really battling. Sometimes you just gotta ride your horses, and Doug's one of our horses. He's pitched really well for us, kept battling and keeping us in the game. You gotta let him work out of it there."

~ Ned Yost, post-game

Archived