Brewer Fanatic

Kevin Goldstein on RJ Seidel

link (sub. only)
Quote:
The Brewers like taking players from Wisconsin, and that?s not a bad thing, although there is rarely much to choose from. That wasn?t the case in 2006, as Seidel was easily the best player in the state, a six-foot-six right-hander with Division I offers from major college programs. Despite informing teams that he had every intention of going to college, Seidel couldn?t pass up a chance to begin his pro career with his home state Brewers, who drafted him in the 16th round but gave him third-round money to sign. While he signed too late to make his debut last year, Seidel is trying to make up for lost time, firing six no-hit innings on Saturday in his third pro start, just five days after and outing in which he gave up just one hit over five. Athletic and projectable, Seidel currently has a low 90s fastball with considerable sink, though his secondary stuff remains a work in progress. He has a very high ceiling, and there's still lots of work to be done, but so far, so good.

Jeffress pitches for WV which is A, Seidel is pitching for Helena which is R+.

If you click the Player Index on top and then the player's name you can find out where they are currently assigned.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

The Brewers like taking players from Wisconsin, and that?s not a bad thing, although there is rarely much to choose from. That wasn?t the case in 2006, as Seidel was easily the best player in the state

Easily? Maybe arguably, although I still think most would argue that Tony Butler is still the better prospect.

And the Brewers haven't exactly gone out of their way to take players from within the state, otherwise Butler and Erik Cordier would probably be in the organization instead of players such as Cole Gillespie and Yovani Gallardo.

True enough Colby, but it was still a nice article about a young kid.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Quote:
And the Brewers haven't exactly gone out of their way to take players from within the state, otherwise Butler and Erik Cordier would probably be in the organization instead of players such as Cole Gillespie and Yovani Gallardo.

The Brewers admitted after draft day that Butler was there round 3 target, and were very disappointed when the Mariners grabbed him at 81, 11 spots before the Brewers grabbed Gillespie. Thank the scouting gods the Brewers liked Gollardo better than Cordier. Nothing against Cordier, but he has been injured. I wouldn't be suprised if Cordier was there round 2 target, they scouted him heavily, and they expected Gollardo to go in round 1.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

That's exactly my point X. If the Brewers made scouting and drafting players from Wisconsin as big of a deal as Goldstein implied, they probably would have taken Butler (even if it meant as a 2nd round pick) and Cordier.

I have it on pretty good record that the war room was split on Gallardo and Cordier in '04, and as much as I like Erik Cordier and his family, obviously the team made the right choice (please no comments about their first-round pick).

And yes, as you noted, the team reportedly was prepared to take Tony Butler with their 3rd round pick, but really, other than guys like Seidel, unsigned Wes Munson, Mike Goetz and UDFA Ben Stancyzk, which notable Wisconsin born and bred players does the team have in their system (system, meaning not Miller and Counsell)? They took Daryl Maday and Ryan Zink late in the '03 draft, but pretty much knew they had no chance to sign either one of them away from Arkansas and UIC respectively.

Jason Jaramillo is another guy they could have taken with Wisconsin ties in recent years.

Bottom line is that the team just doesn't make it's own state a priority to the point where they over-draft players to make sure they stay with the in-state team (like the Red Sox have done on occasion in recent years). That's not a bad thing, since Wisconsin isn't exactly a hot-bed for talent.

Personally, I don't care if they draft a guy from WI, IL, or anywhere else. Just draft the best player available. If you start listing a guy higher in your rankings just because he's from your home state (or any certain state), you're going to hurt yourself in the long run. And if another team has one of your "homestate" players listed higher then you, so be it. Trust your own rankings. I know there is Marketing involved, but it'll be a lot easier to market a lot of good guys from other states then some avg guys from WI.

Normally I'd agree with the homestate statement 100%. But Atlanta has built a pretty good system giving Georgia kids priority (of course Georgia has plenty of top players from which to choose). So I'll say I agree with your statement 99.95%.

Verified Member
Seems like the Twins are another team that will go local when given the opportunity. They were criticized locally for preferring hometown boy Mauer over Prior. Not sure of their reasoning, whether local ties, signability, or what, but I'm sure they'd do it the same today, and so would most anyone else.

I can't see giving any preference to home-state kids, except after round 25 or so.

You may give them preference because you know them better, and thus feel better about them, but otherwise, take the best player.

Archived