Brewer Fanatic

5/27/05 Houston (Oswalt) @ Brewers (Davis) 7:05 CST

Brewers look to win their fourth in a row and move back above .500 tonight as Doug Davis goes for his sixth win of the season.

Oswalt has always given the Brewers problems, but Houston seems to be heading in the wrong direction right now and there is no reason the Brewers shouldn't take 2 of 3....

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll be at the game tonight and I'm expecting a pitchers dual. The way both pitchers have been throwing the ball lately I wouldn't expect each team to get more than 3 runs if that. Not really expecting to win this one, but we should be able to take the next two.

I will be attending my first game tonight. (would have been much earlier but college is too far away). If you see a bunch of crazy kids in the bleachers that will be us. We have a few things planned to get on tv. GO BREWERS!

Winning this one vs Oswalt would be a huge start to this series. He has owned the Crew in the past, but with Houston's horrendous offense, I can see the Brewers pulling this one out. If they can take game 1, the other 2 games don't look nearly as tough, especially if Clemens and Pettite are unable to go.

Edit:

The starters listed for games 2 and 3 are:

Saturday... Astacio vs Sheets

Sunday... Pettite vs Capuano

(Both matchups look promising)

I'd say the key to tonight's game is to make Oswalt throw a lot of pitches with long at bats and walks so that we can get after their bullpen which, hasn't been the greatest.

And I'll be at the game also.

Who's Sharpie?

DD. So named for his facial hair last year, I believe.

In his 2004 team mug shot, it looked like his facial hair was drawn in with a Sharpie pen.

This year it's different; maybe he drew it on with a Sharpie Magnum.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

We're in our reg'lar seats, Jamie, TB 417.

You know, those cheap seats you made fun of after the last game. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

If I'm away, it's just temporarily to pick up some tix to an extra game (I'm bringing some of my student employees in July); but Tom will be there if I'm not.

Hope to see you.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Let's see how Mr. Geoffery JenKins does this evening. JenKs according to MLB.Com is currently .333 lifetime against Oswalt, but has as many K's as hits= 9. The windmill-like lefty also has two dingers against Oswalt.

However, I'm sure that each time Oswalt has faced JenKins, it has been less than challenging to the pitcher. I'd also imagine that Oswalt was feeling quite charitable while facing the whiff king.

The recently interviewed hurler had this to say about the Brewers hitter:

[ "I like facing that guy. He's the kind of hitter who can really pretty up a guy's stats, ya know? I mean, I hope and pray that every time we play Milwaukee that JenKins will be in the lineup. His being in the third spot is a real nice break too, ya face two tough outs and then an easy K."

When asked about the pair of moon shots JenKins blasted, the uninterested Oswalt said:

"Uhhh, yeah. He hit two homers off of me, that's right. Trust me though I gave him the opportunity. We were up by like 10-11 runs in each case and it was 2 outs in the Brewer halof of the ninth. I looked in at the catcher and saw those pathetic hopefull eyes just praying for a fatty down the pipe. Then I saw that insanely foolish tape around that wrist and his 1980's lookin' high tops and I started to weep for his family. I mean, look at him at the plate!"

Oswalt laughing histarically then added:

"Seriously man! Do you ever wath the guy?I mean he swings at almost anything! Anything that is, but a strike. The farther outta the zone, the better off you are. I'm waiting for him to swing when I throw to first!"

Geoff JenKins was not present for the Oswalt interview, but was allowed to review it and make a statement. After a few hours, JenKins made his reply:

" A lot of people say I look like Brett Favre, so I got that goin' fer me. WooHoo! Go Packers! Carlos Lee Baby!!! I like cinnamon toast! I gots me some power!!!!!!!

-----

this ficticious interview is unfortunately not too far off base. Jenkins truly is a whiff King.

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

Some random thoughts and stats.........

The 2005 Brewers have scored 207 runs and allowed 176, for a run differential of +31. There are only 3 NL teams better than that St. Louis, Atlanta, and Florida.

Last season through 46 games they had scored 218 and allowed 221, for a differential of -3. Yet they had a better record (24-22 vs. 23-23).

In 2004, the best run differential the Brewers had at any point came after game #75. At that point they were +21 and sported a 41-34 record, the high water mark for the season.

Considering this year's team has scored 11 fewer runs and allowed 45 fewer runs than last year's team, I can't help but feel like they should be more like 26-20 right now instead of 23-23.

deeswan

I'd say we're looking at the effects of the flu bug in April.

Half the team was down, so the team was nowhere near 100%.

I think this team's gonna break .500. My only question: Can they sneak into the wild card?

I'm so excited about tonight's game. I'm a fan of Oswalt, if simply because he has done quite well against the Brewers (much like I am a fan of Moss). But here's hoping tonight's game goes well for the Brewers and continue their streak of wins. Perhaps...three spot in the first. GO BREW!

Quote:
I'm a fan of Oswalt, if simply because he has done quite well against the Brewers (much like I am a fan of Moss)

When players tend to rail my team, I have the exact opposite reaction. I like Oswalt, he does have nasty stuff and usually owns us (not today though, 4-2 Crew) and therefore I hate facing him. Can't explain how much I hated Moss as a Queen, it is has deminished since the trade but I still don't like him.

HOUSTON AT MILWAUKEE -- LINEUPS HOUSTON MILWAUKEE AVG HR RBI AVG HR RBI Willy Taveras CF .258 2 9 Brady Clark CF .332 6 22 Jose Vizcaino 1B .254 0 6 Jeff Cirillo 3B .284 1 8 Craig Biggio 2B .298 8 23 Geoff Jenkins RF .262 4 17 Lance Berkman LF .200 1 4 Carlos Lee LF .263 11 43 Morgan Ensberg 3B .291 9 23 Lyle Overbay 1B .308 7 26 Jason Lane RF .225 5 17 Damian Miller C .275 2 10 Adam Everett SS .221 3 14 Junior Spivey 2B .233 3 14 Raul Chavez C .232 0 3 Bill Hall SS .299 3 16 Roy Oswalt RHP .143 0 0 Doug Davis LHP .050 0 0 (5-5, 3.37) (5-5, 4.31) 6:39 PM ET

Why is Spivey playing, because he is 4/15 against Oswalt?

For the life of me I dont get why Ned isnt playing JJ every day right now. He's just starting to really get the bat going so wouldnt you want him in there? I dont get it, taking out a hot JJ and playing a struggling Junior Spivey, it makes no sense!http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/ohwell.gif

EDIT: Also why is Hall batting 8th behind Junior?

Archived