Brewer Fanatic

6/17/05 Brewers (Davis) @ Toronto (Chacin) 6:07 CST

Tonight's battle features a pair of Lefties going at it:

Doug Davis 8-5 3.86 ERA

@

Gustavo Chacin 6-4 3.04 ERA

Davis was hurt by the long ball in his last start, the first home run he had allowed in five starts. But he walked away with a no-decision at Philadelphia after allowing four runs in 5 1/3 innings and has not been tagged with a loss since May 16.

The young left-hander looks to continue his impressive month of June in which he has gone 1-1 with a sparkling 2.18 ERA. Chacin has lasted six innings or more in his last four starts, and the workhorse has thrown 100 or more pitches in nine of his 13 starts this season. He'll be going on five-days rest due to Toronto's off-day Thursday.

Quote:
"I've got confidence that we're going to get it turned around. If some guys get hot, then it just breeds other guys getting hot and we're scoring some runs." -- Yost, on his team's slumping offense

Will Geoff Jenkins start? Mired in an 0-for-23 slump, the worst of his career, Jenkins sat out the Brewers' final two games against Tampa Bay. With a left-hander starting on Friday, manager Ned Yost may opt to give Jenkins another day to rest his body and mind.

Kind of an odd start time tomorrow, 4:07 CST~ I'd think Toronto would prefer a night game on Saturday for a better draw.

edit: put the time in the title.

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jenkins needs to go the way of Wes Helms. Buried deep on the bench for the foreseeable future until he shows in PH appearances and occasional starts that he can produce at better than a .700 OPS.

I just think a decision like that would be INCREDIBLY shortsighted. Assuming the Brewers aren't going to bring up a corner outfielder until next year (looks to be the case) you would be replacing Jenkins with Magruder?? You honestly think Magruder is better?

Second, replacing Jenkins with ANYONE who might be moderately better isn't accomplishing anything anyway. He has $20 million left on his contract, guaranteed. People can @#%$ all they want but Jenkins was about average last year. So he's been truly BAD for less than 3 months, and you don't bench a guy for 223 bad AB when you owe him $20 mil over 2 years.

Really, what is he going to show you getting 5 AB a week as a pinch hitter, anyway?

It's a bad situation but benching him permanently just makes it worse.

I don't know how accurate it is to say that it looks like they won't bring up a corner OF. For all we know, Hart could get the call when Prince goes back down. And at this point, I'm definitely in favor of calling him up for the remainder of the year.

Quote:
Jenkins needs to go the way of Wes Helms. Buried deep on the bench for the forseeable future until he shows in PH appearances and occaisonal starts that he can produce at better than a .700 OPS.

If we had a RF in the system who had a better shot of putting up a better than .700 OPS while playing acceptable defense I'd agree with you.

Jenks is the best option at the moment.

I just think a decision like that would be INCREDIBLY shortsighted. Assuming the Brewers aren't going to bring up a corner outfielder until next year (looks to be the case) you would be replacing Jenkins with Magruder?? You honestly think Magruder is better

Actually Russ I was being a little drastic in a sarcastic way. But look what Helms has done since stinking up the joint early this year. He has gone on to be the 25th man for a bit and when he got ABs he looked terrible at first, but then you could actually see him really concentrating and trying to make the most out of his few pinch hit plate appearances, and as we have seen, he has provided some clutch HRs and 2bs since. He certainly is still the 3rd best option as far as 3b goes, but he began to really focus on his ABs and it looks to have paid off for him. I'd like to see Jenkins get up there thinking that it might be his only PA of the week and that he has to make the most out of it, maybe he will change his approach a little and concentrate better...who knows.

I definitely understand that Magruder is not a long term answer, but another week of Magruder wouldnt hurt in the long run.

Quote:
I just think a decision like that would be INCREDIBLY shortsighted. Assuming the Brewers aren't going to bring up a corner outfielder until next year (looks to be the case) you would be replacing Jenkins with Magruder?? You honestly think Magruder is better?

Second, replacing Jenkins with ANYONE who might be moderately better isn't accomplishing anything anyway.

I agree. You can't sit him for an extended period of time. He's still going to have to be the RF five times a week. Believe it or not, he's the best option we have right now. Playing Magruder over him doesn't make any sense. And none of the guys in the minors are screaming for a call up like Weeks was (in spite of his not-ready-for-prime-time glove). There are no better options.

The only call up that would make a shred of sense would be possibly for Fielder (actually he's already up, but you know what I mean) -- and move Overbay to RF. But, that seems a bit desperate to me. I wouldn't be in favor of that either.

Actually, calling up Hart or Cruz to play RF and leaving Lyle alone probably makes more sense for this year, as Cruz or Hart in RF and Overbay at 1b will probably not be as bad defensively as Overbay in RF and Prince at 1b.

Well...it might be a tie defensively, with Hart, but Hart should definitely be considered.

Actually, calling up Hart or Cruz to play RF and leaving Lyle alone probably makes more sense for this year, as Cruz or Hart in RF and Overbay at 1b will probably not be as bad defensively as Overbay in RF and Prince at 1b.

So what do you do when Branyan comes off the DL then? If you keep Prince or call up one of the others who do you move to put Russ back on the 25 man roster?

Quote:

The reason I said that the Prince call-up made more sense is because I think he has at least has shown signs that his bat is Major League ready. I think you would still have questions with Hart both offensively and defensively. And I know... Hart has come on the last month or so to make his AAA numbers very respectable, but... who would you say is more ready offensively - Prince or Corey? And for the record... I was in support of leaving Jenkins in and not making any call up.

MILWAUKEE AT TORONTO -- LINEUPS MILWAUKEE TORONTO AVG HR RBI AVG HR RBI Brady Clark CF .320 7 26 Reed Johnson RF .284 5 25 Rickie Weeks 2B .263 0 1 Frank Catalanotto LF .297 2 13 Lyle Overbay 1B .285 8 32 Aaron Hill DH .329 0 19 Carlos Lee LF .280 16 56 Shea Hillenbrand 3B .305 7 28 Bill Hall 3B .288 7 26 Alex Rios CF .284 4 28 Damian Miller C .277 2 13 Gregg Zaun C .239 4 26 Wes Helms DH .302 2 9 Eric Hinske 1B .252 6 27 Geoff Jenkins RF .233 6 23 Frank Menechino 2B .182 0 6 J.J. Hardy SS .179 1 12 John Mcdonald SS .299 0 8 Doug Davis LHP (8-5, 3.86) Gustavo Chacin LHP (6-4, 3.04) 

I'd like to see Prince in there too, but where are you going to put him? Helms has been doing well against lefty's so I'd want him in there, and the only other options are benching O or Hall (putting Wes at 3rd and Prince at DH).

We could have benched JJ, play hall at SS, Wes at 3rd and Prince DH... This is more based on my desire to see Prince as much as possible before sending him down, not real logic http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Archived