Brewer Fanatic

7/3/05 Pirates (Fogg) @ Brewers (Davis) 1:05 CST

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator
The thing that amazes me about the Brewers this year is that it always seems like when the pitching is fantastic, the offense gets shutout or scores 1-2 runs, but when we put up 5 or more, the pitching gives up like 8.

Quote:
How is this game Yost's fault? We had a 6-run lead and the bullpen simply had a meltdown. Relax. Over the course of a 162-game season really horrible things happen to a team.

1. Laboring DD starts the 7th.

2. DD gives up homer, still left in.

3. Gives up single still left in.

4 2-0 count to bay finally taken out.

5. RB faces the buccos best hitter starting behind 2-0

6. RB clearly doesn't have it but is left in and gives up a homer 7-8

7. Phelps starts the 8th instead of one of the set up men, in this case Santana.

I'm sure there are more, those are just off the top of my head.

--Bottomline: The Brewer bullpen was put into a position to fail today.

How is this game Yost's fault?

Easily:

1). Doug Davis should have been pinch hit for after the 6th. He already reached 100 pitches and was struggling.

2). After Davis gave up the Sanchez homer he needed the hook.

3). After Davis gave up the Lawton single, he needed the hook.

4). Bottalico was kept in too long.

5). Phelps should have been in against one batter.

6). He should have brought JDLR in, not Bottalico who has been overused and didn't need to come in that situation.

Well, we can't know if a different set of pitching decisions would have made a difference. But everyone paying attention had to assume Davis was done before he started the 7th. A well-rested reliever with a five run lead and nine outs needed...that seems like a winnable situation. A much-less-rested reliever with a four run lead, a runner on, inheriting a two-and-oh count to the other teams' best hitter...still should be winnable but that's tougher odds. And in my mind, that' all a manager can do once the game starts, to maximize the odds for the good guys. Ah well...

Archived