Brewer Fanatic

7/6/05 Brewers (Ohka) @ Marlins (Burnett) 6pm CST

It is fun to dream playoffs.

It is important to remember the goal coming in was .500. Anything more is icing on the cake. I am just pumped that in early July I am still just as excited for every game as I was in April. If I can say that in September it will be a great year.

My perfect day is a Brewers win and a Cubs loss. Keep it going.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
Well they could conceivably pass FIVE of those teams in 2 days, so I don't think it's that big a deal.

79 os so games to play, anything can happen. If we are within 4 games of either the WC or division lead on Sept. 1, then I will start to think abou Playoffs. Until then, I will watch what I hope to be some good baseball.

Verified Member
Ohka has made two starts against the Marlins this year and, tonight's matchup does not look favorable, to say the least. Florida pounded him against the Nationals, albeit with some shaky Washington defense. I just don't have a good feeling about tonight.

Its best to have our worst starter against their best (in the series anyway, Dontrelle not scheduled). Also, Ohka was last scheduled against Minnesota and Johan Santana...and we won that game!!

My #1 goal for this team is to finish .500

My #2 goal is to finish better than the Cubs

My #3 goal is to finish 2nd in the division

My #4 goal is to reach the wild card.

I'm not about to cheer for the cubs since I don't think #4 is very likely, I'll cheer for reaching goal #2 instead.

I with you, JB. Ohka has left too many pitches up in the zone, as of late, and has been getting pounded because of it. If he continues this trend tonight...it could get really ugly, really fast. Mainly because I don't forsee us putting up a lot of runs tonight against Burnett...but hey, this team loves to surprise us. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Verified Member

I wonder who will bat leadoff since Brady is apparently sitting tonight...?

CF Magruder

2B Weeks

1B Overbay

LF Lee

RF Jenkins

C Miller

3B Branyan

SS Hardy

P Ohka

This is how I see it shaping up tonight. Give Hall another night off.

Ohka has made two starts against the Marlins this year and, tonight's matchup does not look favorable, to say the least. Florida pounded him against the Nationals, albeit with some shaky Washington defense. I just don't have a good feeling about tonight.

See start of thread. NO negative thoughts. Only Positive feelings. Project positive energy towards the Brewers. Hint: Remember to face South-East when doing so (assuming you are in Wisconsin)

Quote:
My #1 goal for this team is to finish .500

My #2 goal is to finish better than the Cubs

My #3 goal is to finish 2nd in the division

My #4 goal is to reach the wild card.

I'm not about to cheer for the cubs since I don't think #4 is very likely, I'll cheer for reaching goal #2 instead.

I think this is about as optimistic a set of goals as you should have and still be in the general area of sanity. Just to reach #1 would be a very successful season in my estimation.

If they only reach 75 wins, I won't be disappointed.

But, since this is tonights game thread... I don't have a real good feeling about this one. The Crew has been playing great recently, but tonight's matchup is... shall I say... ugly. But, you never know. We hammered their ace yesterday before he left with an injury.

Verified Member
Anyone have a scouting report on Burnett? He seems to be in the same mold as Beckett, is he not? The way they hype Beckett he seems to be superior, and if we pounded him, why can't we handle Burnett tonight (fingers crossed)?

Below is the scouting report over at ESPN... I really like staring at these things when work is moving slowly:

A.J. Burnett:

Strong Arm With Quick Arm Action. Has The Tools To Be A Big Winner

Change Up

Rating: AVERAGE

Notes: Improving; He Is Using This More

Slider

Velocity: AVERAGE

Movement: AVERAGE

Notes:

Curve

Velocity: GOOD

Movement: GOOD

Notes: Knuckle Curve Downward Rotation; Quick Break

Four Seam

Movement: AVERAGE - PLUS

Notes: Overpowering; Can Reach Back In A Jam

Two Seam

Movement: AVERAGE - PLUS

Notes: Live Action On This Pitch

Angle of delivery: High 3/4

Delivers Across His Body Off A High Leg Kick. Sound Windup; Gives Him Deception

STRENGTHS

Holding Base Runners

Fielding

Competitiveness

Intelligence

DETAILS

Control: AVERAGE

Improving

Holding Base Runners: PLUS

Slide Step

Fielding: PLUS

Good Athlete With Quick Feet

Competitiveness: PLUS

Intelligence: PLUS

Knows How To Pitch

Quote:
The way they hype Beckett he seems to be superior, and if we pounded him, why can't we handle Burnett tonight (fingers crossed)?

Beckett isn't hype. He's a stud. But, he didn't pitch well last night. AJB is pretty damn good himself, but I would give the nod to Beckett over him. If he's on his game, he'll be very tough.

This from the game preview notes:

Quote:
Brady Clark has quietly assembled a five-game hitting streak, but Yost told Chris Magruder on Tuesday night that Magruder would start Wednesday's game in center field. ... With wins in the first two games of this series, the Brewers matched their total against Florida from all of last year (2-4). ... With Tuesday's loss, the Marlins fell to a season-high eight games behind Washington in the National League East.

I guess my next questions would be: why rest a guy just before the break? If you're going to rest someone, why not Lee? When does Weeks get a rest so he won't tire down the stretch?

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

Verified Member
We may see Helms get the start tonight, has good career numbers versus Burnett. I hate watching him bat though, has to tighten those batting gloves after every pitch.

Quote:
Yeah, in a 'hey, we haven't thrown someone out in CF that's going to be worse defensively than Podsednik was in a while' sort of way...

We could always just *slide* Jenkins over to center. He'd be bizarro Juan Pierre. No range, no speed, great arm.

Archived