Brewer Fanatic

7/8/05 Brewers (Davis) @ Braves (Sosa) 6:35 CST

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[ It has more to do with showing that the status quo is not acceptable to the organization or the fans. ]

Do you really think the status of Butch Wynegar is going to have any impact whatsoever on ticket sales or merchandising? It's only going to have an affect on how fans react on the message boards... and that's not a good enough reason to really do anything.

Quote:
Do you really think the status of Butch Wynegar is going to have any impact whatsoever on ticket sales or merchandising

Yes. I believe the fans follow the team and react to what it does. It is part of the overall equation. If fans feel that the team is content being a perennial loser, it will negatively effect sales and the ability to market this team. I am not saying that the day Butch is fired that profits will go up 2%, but I am saying that at least it shows people following this team that failure is not acceptable and improvements will be saught.

One player has improved since Wynegar has been our hitting coach. Bill Hall. Everybody slse has either gotten worse or is about the same.

He's ruined Jenkins. Jenkins is hiting like Wynegar did. And he stunk.

Jenkins had a .900 OPS season in 2003 with Butch. Age is why Jenkins sucks, not Wynegar. And Bill Hall hasn't improved that much. Hitters are what they are, and no hitting coach is going to stop players like Jenkins and Hall hacking approach at the plate. That's just how it is. Jenkins has always swung at pitches in the dirt, no matter who the coach was, be it Jackson, Lefebvre, Carew, or anyone.

EDIT: And Wynegar didn't "suck" as a hitter. He was pretty good. He won ROY, walked a ton, made a couple All-Star teams, and posted a career line of .255/.348/.347, with a 626/428 BB/K ratio. He also posted an OPS+ of 100 or more in six different seasons, and a 93 mark for his career, meaning he was a little below average.

Verified Member

Then why do major league baseball teams have a hitting coach?

Regarding the game last night, talk about missed opportunities. The highlight or lowlight of the game was when Donnelly fell asleep at the wheel. Sending Jenkins home on that base hit was just plain stupidity. Heck, Jenkins had to pause while the ball was going by him to make sure it wasn't caught or going to hit him. Sigh.

Danny Kolb got the win. That sums it up.

Harold Wynegar had a career OPS of .695 compared to a league average of .726. In no way is that "good". I am not saying you have to have been a great MLB hitter to teach, but saying Butch was a "good" hitter is garbage.

Rod Carew was the hitting coach, right? That worked out real well. He was hailed as a great hitting coach when he was with Anaheim, because he was dealing with good hitters like Edmonds, Salmon, etc. He then promptly came to the Brewers and sucked tremendously. Hitting coaches are hired to be fired, and while they hold their jobs they are lightning-rods for criticism from people like yourself, and are hired because they are buddies with the manager and they are figureheads.

Who is a good hitting coach, anyway? I'd like it to be Rob Deer when the time comes that Wynegar is fired, but maybe that's just me.

Archived