Brewer Fanatic

7/8/05 Brewers (Davis) @ Braves (Sosa) 6:35 CST

Milwaukee faces the Braves tonight to start up a three game set before the break. Always a nostalgic matchup, the 40-45 Brewers will try to take a series from a Wild Card contending 49-37 Braves team.

Right-hander Jorge Sosa, who was property of the Brewers from December 2001, when Milwaukee selected him from Seattle in the Rule 5 Draft, to March 2002, when the team placed him on waivers. Sosa was claimed by the Devil Rays and pitched parts of three seasons with Tampa Bay, then was traded in March to Atlanta for infielder Nick Green.

Milwaukee will counter with left-hander Doug Davis, who gets his third shot at 10 wins before the All-Star break. If he gets the win, he would be the first Brewers pitcher to reach double-digits in wins since Ben Sheets in 2001, and the first Brewers left-hander to do it since Teddy Higuera in 1986.

MIL: LHP Doug Davis

? 9-7, 4.33 ERA in 2005

? 0-0, 4.50 ERA vs. ATL in 2004

ATL: RHP Jorge Sosa

? 4-1, 3.02 ERA in 2005

? Has never faced MIL

"It's not an excuse. We miss the ball. I'm not making excuses." -- Yost, on his infielders struggling mightily on the hard Dolphins Stadium infield

Um, Uh, ..... That's putting it mildly Ned.

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree the Crew has some favorable pitching matchups, but after the last two games I have very little confidence that they will win 2. On the positive side, Branyan is back and playing how he was at the beginning of the season. Hopefully tonight will be the night Milwaukee will put up some solid defense and get some hits. Lets take 2 of 3 going into the break and get some momentum into the second half.

Quote:
Has never faced MIL

Why is it everytime I see this after an opposing pitcher I get concerned. Really, I am having guests in from Indy and I want to show them what they are missing by dropping us.

Score early, add on, staple Bottalico to the bench.

Upon trying to get some possible explanations from the Brewers defensive coach, nobody could be found. Several players who shall remain nameless to protect their identity, did however share some interesting quotes with us.

Player "K" said: "I dunno man, the sun was in my eyes the first three games." when told the first three games were at night, the player then looked at us stupified, turned and ran away screaming about how difficult it is to switch from left field to right.

"Mr. Horse" our second un-identified player said the following: " Yo no habla ingles. Besides, it's not my fault the damn ball wouldn't go into my glove. Did I say I'm glad to be out of Chicago and playing for Milwaukee now?"

Our next player, let's just call him 'Duncan' was found in the corner of the visiting clubhouse chowing down on donuts. "Yeah, I remember playing here before Milwaukee," said player then shoved a cruller into his mouth and said: "mmmnuhmnverblah."

Next to the unidentified donut muncher, we found our nex wizard with the glove, a man we shall just call Mr. 'O'who was holding his hands above his head forming a large circle. " Hey, those simple rollers are tough, just ask Bill Buckner. I mean jeez! I gotta hold a runner on base, listen to my coaches, pay attention to the game, AND you expect me to field the ball? C'mon man! I'm not super human ya know."

Our last player, a rookie second baseman who shall also remain nameless every day of the week was found playing marbles in a shower stall with the clubhouse attendant. "Oooh! did ya see that? He just took my aggie! Dang! Ok. Sorry (pauses and leans on cold water faucet) I'm uh, I'm not really at that point yet where I can actually what you'd call 'catch' the ball. I have good speed, and I hit like a (expletive), but that's about it. I guess maybe I could go home and break in my glove while I watch cartoons. I bet that might help."

As we were leaving, a young player with a very 'Hardy' attitude towards defense rushed us wanting to talk. We told said player that his glove spoke for itself, but we'd look for him when we needed interviews about offense. " I can't help ya there." came the reply.

Look for our next series of interviews entitled '28 reasons in a row that strikeouts really, really suck."

All players names have been omitted to protect their identity. We would not want to embarras anyone.

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

Quote:
On the positive side, Branyan is back and playing how he was at the beginning of the season.

Definitely great to see him playing again, but I have been told we'll only see him playing 1 game in this series, and that will be tomorrow's.

Quote:
Player "K" said: "I dunno man, the sun was in my eyes the first three games." when told the first three games were at night, the player then looked at us stupified, turned and ran away screaming about how difficult it is to switch from left field to right.

Player "K" then began flexing the muscles of his throwing arm, made me hold the tape as he measured his bicep and demanded that I refer to him only as "Big Shot". Later, when I asked him to toss me a towel, he threw it 100 mph over my head.

Player K then dove into a wall.

Starting lineups from USA Today

Milwaukee Brewers Lineup&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp

Brady Clark CF&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp .310

Rickie Weeks 2B .261

Lyle Overbay 1B .271

Carlos Lee LF&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp .265

Geoff Jenkins RF .252

Bill Hall 3B&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp .269

Damian Miller C .276

J.J. Hardy SS&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp .193

Doug Davis P&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp .162

Atlanta Braves&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Lineup&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp

Rafael Furcal SS .241

Kelly Johnson LF .261

Marcus Giles 2B .302

Andruw Jones CF .278

Julio Franco 1B .280

Andy Marte 3B&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp .200

Johnny Estrada C .282

Jeff Francoeur RF .250

Jorge Sosa P&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp .143

Brew Crew: Don't Let Me Down

I love this team. They always fill me with expectations. (good and bad!)

Today is a big time game. I hardly ever say something like that. But these guys need to play baseball. They need to put on a show.

I have a darn feeling they will.

By the way, I did predict Jenks would become 'decent' Jenks again, only minutes before he had his three double game. If these guys play like a team... I mean really care (sorry, I dont want to go there, because they probably do really care)... I mean really, really care....

C'mon Crew, put your best foot forward. C'mon

I'm kinda suprised to see 3TO not in the lineup tonight. He seems to be pretty hot since getting back from the DL, whereas Billy has really struggled in the past week or two. They must be trying to let him ease his way back into regular playing time.

Father and son Caray on Rickie Weeks: he's got some trouble learning the major league strike zone, but he can do it all defensively, very strong defender up the middle.

That's pretty much 100% wrong... nonetheless there are far more annoying announcers in the game, I suppose.

We have a thread about how Atlanta keep winning even with so many guys on the DL and rookies and all that. I wonder how much Bobby Cox has to do with that. They seemed to have put the finger on Weeks' D, with those couple of bunts toward first.

I have decided to use my 100th post to bring good luck to the Brewers this game and help them get a win. I was going to use my 100th post for evil, but then decided against it. Anyways, not much to offer except Go Crew!

Archived