Brewer Fanatic

7/15/2005: Nationals (Hernandez) @ Brewers (Sheets) 7:05 CST

brettac1
  • Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This has pushed me over the edge. I am now really going so sign up for therapy. My only problem: in America if I mention 'Brewers' the therapist will be immediately on side. Here, they will not understand.

Quote:
when was the last time that happened?

Last year in April or early May, long extra inning game between Mariners and A's was ended by cheesy balk off called on Justin Duchsherer to win the game for the Ms.

Jayson Stark take note-

I do believe Stanton got the loss there without throwing a pitch.

Weird game, but entertaining as all get out. 4 in a row...

Edit: Ando, I think they called the balk because of where Stanton's foot was on the rubber. He kicked to wind up, then went to first. It looked like he had Weeks picked off badly, but then the 1B ump called the balk.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Like Russ said, I give up on figuring out what a balk is. It looked just like most of Cappy's moves.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote:
For those of you who watched on TV, was it really a balk? How clear was it?

It was a very high leg kick before a move to first base, moving your leg past the pitching rubber before throwing to 1st is a no-no. (notice that Capuano always slidesteps when he makes his move) Had Rickie not been picked off, I don't know if that gets called--but if the questionable move is going to lead to an out for them you're gonna have a balk called.

Especially when you have a good view all game of the home plate ump shafting the Brewers every time he gets the chance.

Doesn't the first reliever get the loss since it was Chris who scored? Either way it's still funny to lose the game without throwing a pitch.

Edit: The angle they showed with the really high camera behind home plate clearly shows Stanton's foot going past the rubber

I saw it on TV, I think it was clearly a balk. Stanton's right foot moved back toward second base, which is illegal (if a pickoff attempt is going to be made). The reason Rickie was burned so bad was because that is one of the cues that baserunners are taught to look for. When the lead foot moves back toward second base, the pitcher is committed to throwing the pitch (or else its a balk).

magruder was ayala's baserunner...he will get the loss. It looked like he crossed the rubber, plus his foot was well more than 45 degrees towards home plate when it landed, which I think they have called on cappy this year

I have seen guys step almost directly home (I know this 45degree line) and constantly NOT be called for a balk.

But, as a runner, if the foot does draw back over the rubber toward second, you are safe to go. Funny, but releivers rarely, rarely pitch from the stretch like that. So, Stanton just tried to con the umpire. I am sure that would not be his normal pickoff move.

So, congrats to the guys for battling and hanging in there. They may begin to believe. I am!

Quotes from the Washington Nationals Fan Forum.

Go sit in the corner *****, Stanton picked off Weeks cleanly and the refs handed the Brewers the game on a balk?!

Man, the I hate when refs leave the basketball game they're officiating...come over to the baseball field and call a balk.

And perhaps the funniest forum post ever....

This was the most rediculous game that I had ever seen

I mean... How that can be a boke????

Today referees were absolutely imcompetent..

Holy cow, where do I begin with that! All your base are belong to us!!!

Excellent job by Lee with the dinger to tie it up

Excellent job by Jenkins to atone for his error by nailing the runner at home in 8th

Excellent job by Magruder to leadoff the 9th with a double

Excellent relief work by the bullpen to give us the chance to win it

Excellent job by the fans in coming out and putting over 40K fannies in the seats

Excellent job by Palmeiro in reaching 3000 tonight

Archived