Brewer Fanatic

Does Mark Rogers Still Have a Future Here in Mil?

Rodgers is currently healing from a torn labrem and has been injury prone early in his career. Although, he is still only 21 years old, he has a great moving fastball around 96 MPH great curveball and circle change and is a great athlete.

Does Rodgers still have a future in the brewers rotation or could he be trade bait??

I believe that he does and our rotation in the future will be

Gallardo

Inman

Villanueva

Rodgers

Jeffress

(Edit: spelling of player's name in thread title --1992casey)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think Rogers (note it's Rogers without the 'd') has a future. Whether or not that is in the rotation or as a reliever, and how long his career might be is up for debate. He's too young and has too much raw talent to be written off just yet.

One thing I'd caution is expecting the rotation to contain purely home-grown pitchers. While I would love Inman, Rogers and Jeffress to join Gallardo, I expect that at least one, possibly two of those will not make Milwaukee's rotation. Past experience has taught us that.

I hope they all make it, but I am not expecting it.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

Parra made it back to AAA, I think Mark can get at least that far if his arm holds out. I'm still holding out hope. There's more pitching prospects though than the 3 you mentioned.

There's still a couple of talented Latin kids (not Mercedes), Seidel, Braddock, and so on. I'm not jumping on the McClendon bandwagon yet, but there's potential there.

Then again, I'm still holding out hope that Jones can become a valuable reliever at some point.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

1 or both will price themselves out of Milwaukee at some point, he wasn't saying next year, as Jeffress is at least 2 years away if he's healthy and dominant.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

It really all depends on how he recovers. He had a 95-100 MPH fastball, but who knows what he'll be now. Tonight we saw John Van ben schoten pitch for Pittsburg, and he was only throwing 86-88. Before shoulder surgury he threw low 90s consistently. I don't like Rogers odds if he can't blow hitters away with heat, and it may take a few years before the velocity returns, as it did for Parra.

Hopefully, Rogers won't have the setbacks guys like Van ben Schoten, Parra, Neugabauer, and Jones had after shoulder surgury.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I hated the Rogers pick, and I still hate it. Nothing against Mark... he should have been a 1st round pick, but to a team drafting later on. I have talked about it early and often... with Sowers, Diamond and Weaver still on the board, it was a bad pick. That's all there is to it.

That said, I hope he succeeds. With his awkward pitching motion (yes, I'm an amateur scout, Al), and even with it fixed, he's still a liability. I hope they picture him a relief guy , because that's all I honestly see in his future if he makes it.

Quote:
I have talked about it early and often... with Sowers, Diamond and Weaver still on the board, it was a bad pick. That's all there is to it.

Theres is a ton more to it than you let on. Why don't you have to deal with the same budget the Brewers do?

The Brewers spent $4.3 million on there top 10 picks in 2004, 1 being Gollardo, while Weaver signed for $4 million himself.

Sowers, and Homer Baily, also signed for over slot. Sowers was absolutly destroyed in the majors this year (6.97 ERA, just 19 Ks in 62 innings), and is now a struggling AAA pitcher. He doesn't project well, because he can't miss a bat.

Diamond is injured just like Rogers, and didnt show much before that. He hasn't developed an offspeed pitch, which is why his ceiling was as a reliever before the injury. He had kind of plateaued at AA.

I have no problem with critizing the pick, but offer 1 viable solution, and preferably not 1 that completely ignores budgett restraints. 2004 has turned out so far to be an awful draft, with tons of 1st round busts such as Chris Lambert, Chris Nelson, Matt Bush, David Purcey, Richie Robnet, Blake Dewitt, and Greg Golson. At least Rogers flashed dominance right before he was injured.

If we were going to use hindsite to redo the 2004 draft, theres little doubt that we'd have to use our 1st rounder on Yo Gollardo. Nice work Brewers

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

• 3 months later...

Rodgers is currently healing from a torn labrem and has been injury prone early in his career. Although, he is still only 21 years old, he has a great moving fastball around 96 MPH great curveball and circle change and is a great athlete.

Does Rodgers still have a future in the brewers rotation or could he be trade bait??

I believe that he does and our rotation in the future will be

Gallardo

Inman

Villanueva

Rodgers

Jeffress

The only problem with this prediction is that Inman is no longer in the Brewers system. He was traded to San Diego in the Linebrink trade.

Archived