Brewer Fanatic

7/20/05 Brewers (Sheets) @ Cardinals (Mulder) 7:10 P.M. CST

JB
Verified Member

Fresh off a sensational, 5-4 comeback win over St. Louis, your Milwaukee Brewers continue their series against the Cardinals in the third game of a four game set.

It'll be ace Benny Sheets (5-6, 3.45) taking on Mark Mulder (10-5, 4.13). Should be a great pitching duel.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hopefully we'll catch Mulder on one of his down nights. He's been very hot-and-cold this year. When he gives up runs, he usually gives up a fair amount. Break out the bats, boys.
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Verified Member
Can someone explain how the odds in baseball work? I understand the spread in basketball and football, but what does +140 refer to? Thanks.

I will be attending my fist game at Busch Stadium tonight. I absolutely can not wait. I have e-mailed Jim Powell and Daron Sutton and asked them to say hello to my family and friends back in Glendale, Wisconsin.

If either of them mention anything, I would appreciate it if someone could post a note on this game thread so I can read it when I check later tonight.

I'll be thinking of you guys.

GO BREWERS !!! http://ideaspot.net/mlb/NL_Central/small/brewers3-sm.gif

Well, here we go.. i have to work, and we got Ben vs. that guy from the X-Files...

I'm seriously thinking about throwing down some money on this one, with those odds. But there's no telling whether or not that curveball is going to be there... I'll bet on the Cappy game..

I'm about to run over to the MLB.com board and watch some clips of Turnbow from last year.. should be good!

Well, Mulder is a lefty. So, does Ned use his all-righty lineup? I hope he trots Jenkins out there again tonight. Here's the lineup I'd be using tonight:

CF Clark

2B Weeks

3B Hall

LF Lee

RF Jenkins

1B Helms

SS Hardy

C Moeller

SP Sheets

Should Ooooooverbay be in there, too (batting 3rd with Hall 6th)?

Wow, June 23, 2004.. Turnbow comes in for the Angels and is all over the place with his fastball... If you thought he was bad in that game against the Padres this year when Santana bailed him out, go watch this one!

They show his stats from AAA.. he had a 5.11 ERA..

Also, even though he is much more wild, he isn't consistantly hitting 96, 97, 98 at all.. much more like 92, 93, 94

Oh, June 25.. this is good.. Turnbow is pitching in a 13-0 game (led by the angels).. and Robin Ventura is due to pitch the ninth for the Dodgers! What an excellent find..

And now a Dave Roberts sighting for the Dodgers...

Well.. after watching this i have decided that Maddux is definitly a Sorcerer...

It's not hard to figure out why the angels let him go with the Closer that they have..

Turnbow will only get better! Melvin is good.

Does anyone else think that Overbay and Jenkins should flip-flop putting Jenks in the 3 hole and Overbay in the 5 hole? I'd like to see:

1. Clark cf

2. Weeks 2b

3. Jenkins rf

4. Lee lf

5. Overbay 1b

6. Hall 3b

7. Hardy ss

8. Moeller c

Looking at the stat pack, I am a little troubled by the numbers Pujols, Edmonds and Walker have put up against Ben. Most of our guys have never seen Mulder so this has the makings of one of those nights where we look baffled at the plate.

Having read "3 Nights in August" and having learned that LaRussa is hyper focused on batter v. pitcher matchups, I hope he things twice about using his closer with Geoff due uphttp://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif

bjamesw22 - I kind of like Overbay, who seems like more of a contact hitter at 3 and Jenkins, with more power, at 5. If part of the 5 hitter role is to help the 4 hitter see better pitches then Jenkins makes sense. What is your reasoning for the change?

My reasoning is that we might as well put Jenkins up higher in the order while he is hot. Does anyone know what Overbay's numbers are when batting 5th vs. 3rd? It seems as though he bats better when in the 5th spot.

Overbay as a "contact" hitter is overblown. Check out the numbers on Billy "the maniacal free swing'n root'n toot'n long swing'n never gonna get it together" Hall's stats. Now check out Lyle's numbers. They are almost IDENTICAL this year with the exception of Overbay taking over twice as many walks. Everything else is almost a mirror image. The thing that blows my mind is the fact that Hall is k'ing less frequently than the "contact" hitting Overbay.

I appreciate what you say about Hall. This year his K's are way down though over their careers Overbay strikes out less often. I myself have never characterized Hall in the way you mention, ever. I was comparing Overbay to Jenkins in a sharp focus on who, between them, should hit 3 vs. 5 rather than the whole host of other issues. Your right that Overbay walks a lot and has a better OBP than Hall (and in the 3/5 discussion Jenkins) and that also makes me feel he is good in the 3 hole, more on for Carlos or Jenks to knock in. I don't have the expertise of many of the folks here. This is just my opinion

Quote:
Can Sheets pitch a pretend inning before the game starts, so he doesn't start the game with a straight curve and a 92 MPH fastball?

While having the starting pitcher pitch batting practice may be frowned upon in baseball circles, you may be on to something here rluzinski.

Screw pitch counts!

The Brewers are +140 in this game. That seems like an awfully generous line with Ben Sheets on the mound.

Just for giggles, I just took a look and saw that the moneyline is now +155. Brewers could make some "investors" happy tonight.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Archived