Brewer Fanatic

7/21/05 Brewers (Capuano) at Cardinals (Marquis) 1:10 pm CDT

mls4
  • Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
No way JJ should bunt there. No way.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

No, he didn't play that right. You bunt guys to second and third with the pitcher up because then there is no DP, and a ground ball from the pitcher scores a run. If he strikes out or flies out, you have guys on 2nd and 3rd with the top of the order up.

ummm...ok, and how would have JJ's bunt worked out differently than Cappys? Miller didn't even run from second, it would have had to been perfect execution..can't fault the strategy there

There rarely a need for a non-pitcher to bunt before the 7th inning...and this was an instance where he should not have bunted.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

No. Wrong. You ket your hot hitter hit and bunt your pitcher.

Why take the bat out of your shortstop's hand and let your pitcher drive the runs in? What a joke.

The Brewers (in general) have to teach their pitchers to bunt. They all stink at it.

Quote:
You bunt guys to second and third with the pitcher up because then there is no DP, and a ground ball from the pitcher scores a run.

This is flawed logic. The Cardinals are down 2-0, and they probably wouldn't concede a run in that situation. They'd bring the infield in, and a Capuano grounder probably wouldn't score a run, especially when Miller is the runner at third.

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

You bunt guys to second and third with the pitcher up because then there is no DP, and a ground ball from the pitcher scores a run. If he strikes out or flies out, you have guys on 2nd and 3rd with the top of the order up.

Guess I need to post it again.

No, he didn't play that right. You bunt guys to second and third with the pitcher up because then there is no DP, and a ground ball from the pitcher scores a run. If he strikes out or flies out, you have guys on 2nd and 3rd with the top of the order up.

I disagree. The way the Brewer pitchers hit, you would basically be taking the bat out of the hands of one of the hotter hitters on the team (JJ) and looking to bring Brady up with 2 outs and men on 2nd & 3rd. I would much rather have JJ swing away.

In other news, Cappy seems to be dealing.

Quote:

No, you let J.J. swing away. He's been one of the teams hottest hitters over the past week, and so far they are getting to Marquis. If J.J. gets a clean single there, you stand a chance of blowing this game wide open. If it's 0-0 in the 7th or 8th, then you bunt. But it's 2-0 Crew in the 2nd. You don't play for one run yet.

Archived