Brewer Fanatic

7/25/05 D-Backs (Gosling) @ Brewers (Sheets) 7:05 CST

rluzinski

Do not refer to "the trade" tomorrow.. if I have to hear "former Brewer ....." or "former Diamondback ....." one more time I think my head might burst.. UNBELIEVABLE..

On a side note as much as Sheets struggled he still had a great line, weird..

Big W after yesterday's letdown.. a loss in a game like this could have been crushing.. I like these Brewers much more than last year

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

someone someplace once told me "Great rewards require great risk"... or maybe it was in a quote book I was reading at the clinic... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif

I find Yost's decisions puzzling at times as well, but I think the coaching staff in general tries to be too creative and makes mistakes. Sometimes the hardest thing to do is to do just make the easy and fundamental call. I can't tell you the number of discussions that have ended by deciding to do what's most "fundamental". I'm much happier to see the entire bullpen being used, instead of the same 3 pitchers everynight, than I'm upset that they called that silly squeeze.

Also it's an old baseball thought to play for the win at home and the tie on the road, I just think that Yost and staff always try to take it a bit too far and run themselves out of innings when the situation doesn't require a ballsy type move. Play for the win, but do it conservatively.

Seth

also we still are hurting with men on Base

Ahhh yes, the two solo shots to win the game don't "count", because no one was on.

Play for the win, but do it conservatively.

I call it the "right way."

Did anyone else see Ben Sheets' postgame comments wearing a New Orleans Saints helmet? He did it to honor Ricky Williams' return to the NFL. I have no idea what he actually said, I was laughing too hard to pay attention.

I saw it on one of the local newscasts.

Would the smarter move for Yost be to pull a Holmgren and let Sheets K on 3 pitches? Result no double play but a different message to the players.

I agree it was risky but luckily they won so the overall aggressive message might be remembered.

Result no double play but a different message to the players.

Ahh yes, wouldn't want the players thinking you are doing what you think gives them the best chance to win. Better to aggressive and have guts!

Quote:
[ Their combined stats in Milwaukee don't compare to what they've done in 60% of a year in Arizona. ]

Az: .766+.675=1.441

Mil: .645+.634= 1.279

1.441*.60 =.864

Yes they do. They actually compare to what they've done in 88% of a year in Arizona.

Brian, i hope you realize that this makes absolutely no sense... While you can compare totals like HR's and 2B's and RBI in this way, OPS is a percentage, and multiplying it by .60 doesn't show you any type of progress, it just cuts it way down for no reason whatsoever.

At the 60% mark, they have a combined 1.441 OPS.. This is what they did in 60% of the season wich, unlike HR totals, can both raise AND lower as the season unfolds.

Also, a player can start with a 1.25 OPS and finish with about a 1.25 OPS, but you can't say that at the all star break he had a .625 OPS just because 1.25*.50 = .625, because he never dipped that low...

Although, i do sense some humor in your post... so if that's the case then laugh at me for taking the time to type this..

If not, then i suggest you look up the message board rules, there are ABSOLUTELY NO MATHEMATICAL BLUNDERS ALOWED IN THIS FORUM.

[ so if that's the case then laugh at me for taking the time to type this.. ]

and i will. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

But seriously, Counsell's rocketing back to earth and Clayton's only slightly better than he was in Milwaukee. I'm not feeling terribly guilty about them producing a little better in Arizona.

Archived