Brewer Fanatic

7/29/05 Giants (Rueter) @ Crew (Davis) 7:05 CST

7rebmun

oh, I did not pay attention re the switch hitters - and I cannot complain about Helms for Branyan as long as Ned is consistent; I dont think Ned is very consistent... more of a gut feeling manager, rather than playing percentages

re tonight... yeah, we just lost; our normal 'somebody's turn to blow up and cost us the game'.

I am quite adament that these guys have the talent to do better, they just stumble at inopportune times because they are scared of winning

I could be wrong... but when you pitching is (was a few days ago) in the top 1/3 in the leage, and your batting (was a few days ago) in the top 1/2, and you score more runs than the other teams (overall), AND you are a few games below .500 instead of a few games above....

then you have mental issues - not mental like in hospital, but mental like scared to win...

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is sad is that we will all gnash our teeth for the next 20 hours before the next game... and hope for better.

The players, I am sure are now just 'clocking off' and having a shower and happy their day's work is done... not really caring about the outcome.

They will go home to wifeys and girlfriends and boyfriends (not that there is anything wrong with that) and completely forget about baseball, draw out the salary from the ATM, and think 'darn, I gotta go to work tomorrow, but my days are short - only a few hours, and the pay is good, and it is not the worst job... so what the heck, why lose hair over it... it is only Milwaukee, and if we snare a dozen or so wins a year, the fans are happy'.

Sorry, TEAM OF LOSERS, I dont think that way.

There needs to be some pruning now... I was hoping the new blood of Hardy and Weeks would not be infected by the loser virus that hangs around this franchise, but I fear even the young guys will see how easy, easy, easy it is to lose...

Weeks in a tailspin... ahh, who cares

Hardy... just play the games out, dont worry

Eveland... learning THAT'S how to pitch with the game on the line

Bad luck Hart and Cruz were not here to watch Clark protect his precious body. We would not want him to have to see a bruise on his precious little skin whilst keying in the pin code to collect his pay from the ATM.

You guys disappoint me so much. And least Lenny Harris played over his head for us. Unlike you relaxers and pay collectors... you stink.

And let the annual late season slide begin....these last three games my friends are the beginning of the end of this season. This franchise is cursed with a losing tradition and every year at the first sign of things going downhill, our guys bend over and take it....I see no reason why this year will be different. I can't imagine how bad things will get next week @NY and @Philly.

Two weeks from now we'll be 10 games under and waiting to see Krenzyl, Fielder, Hendrickson, and Hart in September.

I hate being a Brewers fan.

We are back into the rut of swinging at the pitcher's pitches. How many times did swing at sliders early in the count tonight.

Some comments are rather harsh again tonight. I think sometimes we overrate out talent. We have a solid, but not spectacular team. I am sure that many guys are taking this loss hard. I don't think it is fair to say that we have a team full of losers. We still have some improvements to make. Until we make them, guys will have to fill roles that maybe they don't have the ability to fill consistently. In the off-season we have to find another middle of the order hitter and we need to find a way to become faster. We are close. I think that, barring an unusual rash of injuries, that next year we will be in the playoffs. Back in April, most of the people on this board would have been pleased with that because that would be a year ahead of schedule.

Two weeks from now we'll be 10 games under and waiting to see Krenzyl, Fielder, Hendrickson, and Hart in September.

Poor August. Up until July we are always only a simple 12 game winning streak away from a good year. In July we get excited because maybe we can trade most of our guys to other unsuspecting teams. In Setember we can watch some young duds, and fantasise about them metamorphisising over the winter.

But, alas, August... you are cursed in Brewerland. You are the month of hopelessness and reality. We pray for rain - for monsoons and hurricanes in every city the Crew will attend. We pray for replays of the 80s. Or even watching Billy Bean's college pitchers - rather than reading about our high school wild and hurt boys.

August - when will you bless us? When will we care about you? When will you care about us?

I would normally disagree with you, but you might have a valid point or two. I definitely think that the pruning may need to start with Wynegar. I have given the guy the benefit of the doubt for a long time...I don't care what Yosty thinks. Swinging at the first pitch rarely yields results, usually a whiff or a pop up. When you are ahead in the count 3-0 you don't swing at the next pitch...the bat should not leave your shoulder. Plate discipline is killing some of these players. Bottom line is whatever Wynegar is getting these guys to do it is NOT WORKING. I don't care how much prep there is, I don't care how much work he puts in bottom line is there are not results, and it is show...it's a glaring weekness. Oh yeah and we give up lot of unearned runs, other than everything is fine.

"grab a brew, don't cost nuthin"

Hopefully the trade for Manny Ramirez doesn't go through for the Mets. He will kill the crew. Heaven forbide pitch around him.

I don't hate it, but it is hard being a Brewer fan.

Can we all agree yet that Butch sucks as a hitting coach? What the worst that can happen if he is let go? The Brewers struggle to score runs? Or get hits? Strikeout more?

I want to break my beer glass over my head everytime they show him in the dugout.

This guy is not an asset to this team.

It's a concern because most of these players are supposed to be hitting by the time they get here. Oh-oh here comes the Brewers hitting coach...let's give these rookies some "Major League Tips."

"grab a brew, don't cost nuthin"

This loss was totally unacceptable. There is no reason that we should blow a 3-run lead with 5 outs to go.

And yes, this is beginning to feel like last season: we get shut out multiple times in a row in when we finally score some runs we let the other team come right back.

I feel helpless.

Typical of managers,dont bring in your closer regardless of the situation because its not the 9th inning.It's blows me away how many managers will let games get away in the 8th inning simply because someone decided a few years ago your shutdown relief pitcher can only be used in the 9th.

Maybe Turnbow doesnt get out of the 8th with the lead intact,but i see it alot in baseball.A 2 run lead in the 7th-8th inning with runners on base and it's probably the game if the winning team gets out of the inning.Instead of bringing in say Lidge or Wagner,in comes a pitcher with an ERA over 4 and they give up a gapper.Closer sits on his butt and never even makes it in the game as they lose.

This loss was as tough as they come. The game has been over for several hours, but I am still pretty stunned right now. It hurts to lose in your own park against a team with a poor record. It hurts to blow a big lead so late in the game. Four games under .500 again seems like a big hurdle again.

Boy does this hurt.

Wow how the pendulum has swung. 3 days ago we were talking wild card, now everything is hopeless and we are cursed with losing. Just another week in Brewer Land.

As long as I'm here, there is a question that popped in my mind during the 8th inning: If there were a statistic called "Almost Caught Balls" for outfielders, would Brady Clark lead the league? My thinking is yes, but that could just be because I sat in the Beerpen tonight and had my share of Miller products. I'd be curious to hear what others think. It just seems like he is always thisclose to making some nice catches but never quite seems to do it.

Quote:
Typical of managers,dont bring in your closer regardless of the situation because its not the 9th inning.It's blows me away how many managers will let games get away in the 8th inning simply because someone decided a few years ago your shutdown relief pitcher can only be used in the 9th.

This is what I don't like about the "closer" role. The opponent's best hitters will come up in the 7th, 8th, or 9th. It seems like a good idea to me to use your best reliever against the other team's best hitters. If the opposing team's #3 hitter is up in the 8th, it makes sense to bring in the closer then, and let some other scrub pitch to the bottom of the order in the 9th.

edit: i can't click correctly

Hoffy, "a simple 12-game winning streak?" C'mon, now.

That's the same (minor) issue I had with the "Struggle to. 500" thread. All the talk was about how the Brewers were in the Wild Card chase, but that operates under the assumption this team is capable of playing well enough to make up 4-6 games on the other teams ahead of them. I haven't seen anything in this team that says they're good or consistent enough to make that run.

Frustrating squad, though, these Brewers, consistent only in their inconsistency.

And I know a lot of folks want to see this team show more emotion, but what MLB team does on a night-to-night basis? Emotion comes in small doses during a 162-game regular season: A no-hitter, a walk-off home run, a game-ending strikeout with the tying run at third ... stuff like that. I don't think it's fair to assume these Brewers don't care or accept losing because of what fans can see on the TV (or even in a movie theater hours after the game).

have to believe no one realy thought the brew crew were legit wild card team,however with everyone being avialable in the pen he sticks with wise a bit to long and does not bring Dana in to Face Ray.Yost has more than 2 guys in the pen and needs to use everyone.

it aug and begining to feel like last year.

I believe it was a week or two ago when folks 'round here were hollering that Yost didn't use Wise and/or Santana enough. Now it's too much.

I've said it before: I don't know how the Brewers have managed to win 50 games with this utter moron at the helm. They must be a lot better than I give them credit for.

Archived