07/31/05 - Giants (Lowry) at Brewers (Capuano) 1:05 CDT

bjamesw22
  • Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
Why?

Because . . .

A.) Give another rest day for our bullpen who blew a game earlier in the season.

B.) Give our strating pitchers somethign to shoot for. If two guys go out and pitch CG's they want to pitch their butts off to do the same.

C.) it's now a 4 run lead (Damian just hit his HR as I am typing.)

D.) It would give Cappy more confidence as the season goes on.

E.) I just like Cappy, and he has been upset at his outtings that have been good. If he can finally please himself wiht a long CG start like this I wil be happy for him.

You have to be careful with pitch counts...a complete game is nice but I can't help but think all those times that Baker has left Prior and Wood in with pitch counts of 120+ It definitely adds up and although nobody will admit it, possibly can lead to arm problems. We don't want to lose any of our front 3 on the rotation.

"grab a brew, don't cost nuthin"

The bullpen just got a day off, I doubt that putting one guy in for an inning is going to kill the pen. I don't really understand how this will give the pitchers anything to shoot for. Do they usually not want to throw good games? Now, since Cappy and Sheets did it...they think, hey why not. I personally don't see why pitching a complete game would give someone more confidence than throwing 8 solid innings.

Well...I guess all of that was pointless...Cappy's out.

Quote:
I can't help but think all those times that Baker has left Prior and Wood in with pitch counts of 120+

Great point. I was just thinking the same thing, how Ned MUST have noticed how Baker got eviscerated for "wearing out" Wood's and Prior's arms by leaving them in too long...

Quote:
The bullpen just got a day off, I doubt that putting one guy in for an inning is going to kill the pen. I don't really understand how this will give the pitchers anything to shoot for. Do they usually not want to throw good games? Now, since Cappy and Sheets did it...they think, hey why not. I personally don't see why pitching a complete game would give someone more confidence than throwing 8 solid innings.

Totally agree with every word. Good game Cappy. Turnbow time!

Archived