Brewer Fanatic

8/02/2005 - Brewers (Ohka) @ Mets (Zambrano)

mikevan1818
Quote:
I'd be willing to bet money that some of us would be on here complaining about why he would bunt with a solid hitting pitcher.

You're kidding right? Hitting is for position players. Bunting is for pitchers. Unless you are named Obie or Brooks.

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
You're kidding right? Hitting is for position players. Bunting is for pitchers. Unless you are named Obie or Brooks.

For your info, this guy was hitting over .350 in AAA. I'd say that puts him at the level of an Obie or Brooks.

Read the stats before you post please.

Younts career as a SS isn't any better than Jeter's, so I don't really see the problem. in fact from an offensive standpoint Jeter blows him away, can't comment too much on defense as I haven't watched Jeter that much.

Last night's game proved one thing; Jenkins CANNOT hit clutch HRs. The outcome of the game proves as much.

Jenkins, you suck!

EDIT: When was the last time a team hit 5 HRs in a game and LOST? That's really hard to do.

after comming home from shea last night i was in disbelief.

The Met bullpen thru 9 ing with only 2 hits

and our Bullpen is starting to so some Cracks.

BUT what was Ned Thinking last night

He kept Lehr in To Long when he could have Went to Wise

He Gave Hall the Green Light on a 2-0 Count with the Bases Full and his final insult he did not let Hall But with 1-2 and no out he tried to get fancy instead of going for the Win.

also Miller looked a bit tired at bat except for his HR

and missing that foul pop.

Glad i Live In NY because i could last seeing the Brewers Regularly i would have to reserve a Hospital room.

Whether you're serious or not, RyDogg, I'd like to bring up the point that if something had happened differently, the following events would almost undoubtedly be varied from their actual course.

Even if Brady had not been caught stealing, there is absolutely no guarantee that Rickie's AB would've resulted in exactly the same way; in fact, it is almost certain that it would've differed by the preceding events.

So, basically, what happened happened, and there is no way of knowing what would've happened had something else happened prior to that happpening. Yeah, if any of what I said makes sense.

My point would be we seem to manage to do 3 or 4 more dumb things every game than the opposition. I mean just DUMB things - managing, baserunning, defense. I am not talking about lack of skill or striking out or even making an error. I am just talking the brain dead stuff.

It is so hard to overcome that every game. We are a dumb team.

Quote:
For your info, this guy was hitting over .350 in AAA. I'd say that puts him at the level of an Obie or Brooks.

Read the stats before you post please.

Actually he was batting .389 in AAA in 18 ABs.

Which I knew before I posted. But go on ahead and assume all you'd like. Condescend if you want as well. Lehr gets paid to pitch and bunt at this level -- not hit. I'm not going to change that opinion based on 18 ABs in AAA. The fundamentals and reality at the major league level are that pitchers are here to move runners over unless they show an exceptional ability to actually use the stick. I don't put Lehr in this class. Maybe you do, but I don't.

What I'd like to see is for the Brewers actually be able to plate a run with runners on 1st and 2nd and no outs. Good teams find a way to get this run in. They execute, we don't.

"This is all Yost's fault. If Clark hadnt been stealing in the first we would have scored 4 runs in the first inning and Camerons HR would not have mattered."

overbay's fc would have been a dp. hardly yosts fault. you can't simply say if this didnt happen this would have. circumstances change.

I gotta be honest... I was looking forward to Lehr swinging away during that at-bat. The boy can rake, and if he can take advantage of the infielders being on their heels anticipating the bunt, all the better.

It didn't work out last night, but he's one of the pitchers I would definately think twice about when asking to have him sac bunt.

[ Leaving Lehr in ]

As I said earlier, I agreed with this one for the reasons I've said above...

[ Having hall hit 2-0

and not having hall bunt ]

Hall's got 6 bunts in 952 plate appearances, I believe. I like the fake bunt / slash in that case... He ended up hitting it hard, but right at the right fielder. With the way the Brewers have been able to get guys in from 3rd on SF's this year, I see the logic.

I was just joking w/ my Yost comments. This thread isnt the same without one on each page.

With Branyan on deck sacrificing isnt really a no-brainer since Russel is going to most likely k anyway. Hall just go unlucky. He hit it hard.

Quote:
My point would be we seem to manage to do 3 or 4 more dumb things every game than the opposition. I mean just DUMB things - managing, baserunning, defense.
Well then we must have BY FAR the most talented team in the league to still be within striking distance of .500. That is truly a testament to our greatness.

Quote:
Yost baffled me with 3 Moves

Leaving Lehr in

Having hall hit 2-0

and not having hall bunt

And NOW Yost gets criticized by the board for NOT bunting. That's a new one.

Ned Yost: 0-55

Brewers overcoming Yost's idiocy: 52-0

There is a bright side to a loss like last night's. It's always entertaining to read the game thread.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If last night's game was a must win, does that make tonights a "must-must" win? Or will they cancel the season now?

Or does it make tomorrows game a must win if they win today?

Maybe someone could come up with a statistic to tell us just how much of a "must-win" game a given game is?

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

the easiest way for me to tell how "must-win" a game is, is by the time it is first posted on game day. If bright and early someone feels the need to start a thread about the game being must-win, or a turning point, I know that it must be important. If the "must-win" isn't mentioned till late in the game thread, the poster is just grasping at straws...these are the ways I can tell the real mustwins from the fake...

BTW...I think the only must win game of the season for us is the one that will give us 82 wins...don't really care how we get to that one

Archived