Brewer Fanatic

8/02/2005 - Brewers (Ohka) @ Mets (Zambrano)

mikevan1818
  • Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
I have a hard time blaming Hall. That ball was ripped. Yes, Hardy may have made the play, but I cant hang the whole game on him

Exactly, especially when your Major League pitcher walks a player on 4 pitches with the bases loaded. At least let him put it in play and let your defense make a play. Pitching like that deserves a demotion.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I won't say that watching them lose doesn't bother me, but I'm just not all that upset about the game tonight.

Maybe I should be, but I didn't really see anything tonight that changes my opinions of this years team, nor did I see anything to change my thoughts on the teams future. There are just too many games over the course of 162 to get too worked up over any one game.

I will say it's too bad that they blew Dana's second win.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

Quote:
So, if this truelly was a "must win," does that mean I don't have to hear about the real chances of a post season birth for the Crew? You can't have it both ways, right

So had Turnbow retired the side would be willing to say that there is a ray of hope?

Quote:
What I don't get is the fact that Santana is ALWAYS in at the crucial moments of a game. Now that is good managing...

Ummm...It was the 11th inning in a game when the starter stunk up the joint and was out of the game early. All and still they got to the 9th with a lead and Turnbow blew it. There was one guy left in the bullpen - Rick Helling. Wise had been used. DLR, used, Eveland, used. Lehr, used, and all of them had to be used just to get to the 9th with that lead. Who would you have had in there in that critical situation, Wes Helms?

To try to blame this one on the manager is just plain stupid. That was an unbelievably poor pitching performace tonight, with contributions from just about everyone, and an assist from Bill Hall.

This was just a HUGE loss, though. I mean, not only do we lose another game, but we also are now 3 back of .500...and we lost a perfect chance to gain a game on NY...and this is a horrendous way to start a crucial road trip.

Quote:
I won't say that watching them lose doesn't bother me, but I'm just not all that upset about the game tonight.

Maybe I should be, but I didn't really see anything tonight that changes my opinions of this years team, nor did I see anything to change my thoughts on the teams future. There are just too many games over the course of 162 to get too worked up over any one game.

I agree. Players like Eveland, Jenks, Clark, Lee, Weeks and Branyan all had a great night tonight. I have no doubt that this team will continue to close in on being a very good team. That said, it is very frustrating to see the pitchers (and Bill Hall) blow this one tonight. In the future I really believe that nights like this will be fewer and much further between as our starting rotation will get stronger (Eveland and perhaps a FA instead of Ohka and Santos) which will keep the bullpen in the pen much more. However that doesn't take the sting out of tonight's lose since it was a game the Crew should have won. They almost seemed to bend over backwards to lose it tonight.

Quote:
how does brady not catch that gapper the other night? How does hall drop a sure dp? what is going on out there? We need a Warren commission type investigation followed by an Oliver Stone movie about this.

You know, as you get closer to .500, WC contention, becoming a winning team...whatever, the pressure does increase and I think that has been showing up recently. If they are 15 games below .500 does anyone thinkl Brady would not have caught that ball the other night. Bill Hall tonight (that one's tougher to answer)?

It looks to me as if they are feeling a little extra pressure in pressure situations as they get closer to success, and they are choking just a bit at key moments.

Man, do I need to vent tonight. This game pissed me off more than any other game this season. I am just fuming right now. I wish I could use obscenties here.

1. Tomo Ohka stinks. He has way too many short outings that chew up our bullpen. He completely set the tone for this loss tonight. He can't be counted on.

2.Julio Santana is brutal. He needs to go. He was nowhere close to the plate at all. He seems to be getting worse as the season goes on.

3. Bill Hall needs to concentrate out there. It was painful to see him blow it out there in the field.

4. Relief pitchers should not be swinging in bunting situations. WHAT THE HECK WAS GOING ON OUT THERE ?? If I am the manager, I am chewing out Justin Lehr for being stupid out there. He should have bunted. If Ned called for Lehr to swing, that was absolutely stupid.

5. Why do hitters watch the ball go down the middle with two strikes and the winning runs on base? If it's close, you gotta swing.

6. We finally get a big night from both Jenkins and Lee in the same game. HOW THE HECK DO YOU LOSE?

Ugh, I am SO FURIOUS.

Anyway, I have no problem with Turnbow blowing a save. He is only human.

Yep, they choked...plain and simple. Twice in the last 4 games. We should be .500 right now...instead, we're 3 under.

Good work from the bats tonight...8 should always be enough. Bullpen...go home, go to bed. If ANY of you (save for you, Rick) sleep well tonight...you don't belong here.

If they are 15 games below .500 does anyone thinkl Brady would not have caught that ball the other night. Bill Hall tonight (that one's tougher to answer)?

So Bill Hall was thinking about being .500 instead of catching the ball? And Brady Clark was worried about dropping the ball because he wanted the team to be .500 when they left home?

These guys are professionals, and while I'd never claim that pressure doesn't exist, it shouldn't exist in game 115 to such degree it causes a player to drop a ball that most A-ballers would have turned into a double play.

Brady Clark has never been a great defender, and Bill Hall has never been an average defender. Maybe that's the reason those plays weren't made.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

These guys are professionals, and while I'd never claim that pressure doesn't exist, it shouldn't exist in game 115 to such degree it causes a player to drop a ball that most A-ballers would have turned into a double play.

Agreed. Hall and Clark missed both because they aren't good defenders. Simple as that.

Quote:
4. Relief pitchers should not be swinging in bunting situations. WHAT THE HECK WAS GOING ON OUT THERE ?? If I am the manager, I am chewing out Justin Lehr for being stupid out there. He should have bunted. If Ned called for Lehr to swing, that was absolutely stupid.

Actually, according to JP, Lehr is a good hitting pitcher who even has some power. I don't think you can fault the offense in this one, they scored 8 runs. 8 runs should win you a ballgame.

Quote:
So Bill Hall was thinking about being .500 instead of catching the ball? And Brady Clark was worried about dropping the ball because he wanted the team to be .500 when they left home?

Is that what I said? No it isn't. I said the pressure when you are playing for something is higher than it is when your season is over and you have nothing to lose. If you're 15 games under .500 in August, those plays simply are not as improtant and the player is far more relaxed trying to make them (sad but true of almost any team in that situation). The pressure of winning is causing them to play just a little bit tighter and you have seen it all over the diamond from the aforementioned plays to the bullpens "performance" tonight.

Quote:
Actually, according to JP, Lehr is a good hitting pitcher who even has some power. I don't think you can fault the offense in this one, they scored 8 runs. 8 runs should win you a ballgame.

I am sure Justin Lehr was a nice hitting pitcher in the minor leagues. But that was still a very stupid play. You can never assume that you have scored enough runs to win. Always go for more.

Lehr hit into a double play. I would rather have had a a guy at second with two outs. Let a real hitter take a shot at knocking him in. One extra run would have been huge tonight.

Bill Hall would drop that ball 5-10 times out of 100 on some HS field in Mississippi if given the chance. I've seen Bill Hall butcher too many balls that most HS players play cleanly to buy that. Defense is a skill just like anything else. He's just plain not very good at it.

Chris

-----

Quote:
I am sure Justin Lehr was a nice hitting pitcher in the minor leagues. But that was still a very stupid play.

Sorry, but not every move Yost makes is gonna work out perfectly as you would like it too. Lehr handles the bat well, and I imagine (since I didn't get to see the play) that the Mets infielders were pulled in (which makes getting a hit much easier). I think we are often WAY too critical of moves Yost makes during that game. If Lehr bunts that ball and we don't score that inning, I'd be willing to bet money that some of us would be on here complaining about why he would bunt with a solid hitting pitcher.

If we are going to be critical on Yost, I think it has to be on how he is getting his players prepared for games so they can play at their full potential (which I think is his biggest flaw as a manager).

Quote:
Bill Hall would drop that ball 5-10 times out of 100 on some HS field in Mississippi if given the chance. I've seen Bill Hall butcher too many balls that most HS players play cleanly to buy that. Defense is a skill just like anything else. He's just plain not very good at it.

Completely agree with that, and I have already called for an end to the Bill Hall experiment. He seems to be falling into th eutility role now, which is where he belongs. The fact is, that play should never have happened because that game should have been over after 9 innings. Ohka and his friends in the bullpen get 99% of the blame for this one.

Archived