Brewer Fanatic

8/02/2005 - Brewers (Ohka) @ Mets (Zambrano)

mikevan1818

Don't you think Houston passed teams last year on their run. It boils down to us winning games and winning series. Yeah 6 teams are ahead of us, but we play 2 of them this week. If we win 2 out of 3 from NY we are 1/2 game behind them. Win 2 out of 3 in Philly we gain a game on them. The Phillies are playing the Cubs, we have a chance to gain on the losers of those games. Teams in front of you really don't matter. Do you really think the teams in front of us won't lose games.

I understand that being behind 6 teams leaves a chance that only 1 of those 6 teams has to got hot and we get screwed, but there is a chance that none of them will go on a huge winning streak or god forbid, we might get hot.

Lets see how Houston does out west in Arizona and S.F. I am hoping they go 3-3 or maybe even 2-4.

As long as we can start winning series and playing decent ball on the road, we are in this race

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Each game is a stepping stone to get to a higher level of play. I have seen pretty much every game available this year and can state with some knowledge the strengths and weakness of the Brewers as can most of you. IMO this is not a playoff caliber team at this point in time. Stranger things have happened and I will use the Astro's of 2004 as an example. You never know when your team is going to put it all together and make a run. My goal for the team is .500 and if something better happens then that is another positive sign of things to come.

Ok I have to add this.....from sportslines PR's today.

Quote:Ben Sheets is back to being a flat-out stud, going 4-1 with a 2.66 ERA in July and quietly putting the upstart Brew Crew in the NL wild-card race -- no foolin'.

Nice to get some props, but still at 19. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

None of the teams between the Brewers and the wild card are hands down better than this team. If we can have a strong week this week we can actually climb above two of them at least. I think the WC is a pretty big long shot, but I think we are close enough to keep it in the back of our heads.

Our RS vs RA is better than everyone except Houston's. Our pitching staff should actually get better with the bullpen changes that have been made. Our hitting has still yet to fire on all cylinders yet, we've had hot players at times but we've always offset it with someone equally cold. If Jenkins and Hardy keep a good pace of production and Lee and Weeks heat up this offense will continue to improve.

We rank 6th in team OBP and 6th in team SLG leading to 8th in OPS. We rank 7th in OPS against and 6th in ERA against. Florida is the only team in the wild card race that actually beats us with pitching and hitting. This team has played at a wild card level so far this year and I don't think its just a fluke from players being hot. With a little luck and a couple guys stepping up we could be right in the wild card race at the end of the year.

OK. In Tomo's last start I used the thread to speak Japanese. Ohka didn't win, but pitched very well in 7 innings. So here's hoping that trend continues when I speak Tomo's native tongue.

Tomo = eesu, tonight we hope.

Hopefully, the suraida and chenji appu are working well tonight.

A

anchi kyojin: Anti-Yomiuri Giants (kyojin being the Japanese word for "giants"). Much like America's Yankees, the Tokyo-based Giants have utterly dominated the Japanese game as a perennial threat to win the championship. Thus, this term describes most fans of Japanese baseball who do not root for the Giants.

B

banto: bunt

batta: batter

batta bokkusu: batters box

besuboru: baseball

besuto nain: starting lineup ("best nine")

boru: ball

C

chenji appu: changeup

D

daburu pure: double play

deddo boru: a pitch that hits the batter ("dead ball")

de gemu: day game

E

eesu: pitching ace

entaitoru tsu besu: ground rule double ("entitled two bases")

era: error

F

fain pure: fine play

famu: farm team or farm system

fasuto: first baseman

fauro: foul ball

fensu: home run fence

foa boru: walk ("four ball")

foku: forkball

furu besu: bases loaded ("full bases")

furu kaunto: full count

G

gattsu pozu: guts pose, i.e. hot-dogging it after a home run - what we used to call a "pimp job" when I was back in high school.

gemu setto: game over ("game set")

goro: ground out

gurobu: glove

H

heddo surraidingu: head-first slide ("head sliding")

herumetto: batting helmet

hiiro intabyu: post-game hero interview

homuin: run ("home-in")

homuran: home run

I

iji furai: routine fly ball ("easy fly")

K

kantoku: manager

koochi: coach

kyatcha: catcher

M

manrui homa: grand slam home run

maundo: pitchers mound

N

naisu pure: nice play

naita: night game

P

pa riigu: Pacific League

pasu boru: passed ball

pinchi hitta: pinch hitter

pinchi ranna: pinch runner

pitcha: pitcher

pitchingu sutaffu: pitching staff

pure boru: Play ball

R

raina: line drive ("liner")

raito: right fielder

rakii sebun: lucky seven - the Japanese version of the seventh inning stretch in which fans release thousands of condom-shaped balloons

ranningu homuran: inside-the-park home run ("running home run")

refuto: left fielder

ririfu pitcha: relief pitcher

rukii: rookie

S

saado: third baseman

saikuru hitto: hitting for the cycle

sanshin: strikeout

sayonara homuran: walk-off home run

sebu: save

sekando: second baseman

senta: center fielder

se riigu: Central League

shiiso gemu: seesaw game, i.e. a game with multiple lead changes

shimei dasha: designated hitter

shinjin: rookie (lit. "new person")

shinpan: umpire

shoto: shortstop

suitchi hitta: switch hitter

suketto: a derogatory term for foreign players that literally means "helper" - the implication is that they are not real ballplayers, just "helpers."

sukoa bodo: scoreboard

supuritto finga fasuto boru: splitfinger fastball

suraida: slider

sutoraiku: strike

sutoreto: fastball ("straight")

T

tatchi appu: tag up ("touch up")

tatchi auto: tagged out ("touch out")

taimurii: a run batted in (from "timely hit")

U

uetingu sakuru: on-deck circle ("waiting circle")

W

wairudo pitchi: wild pitch

Y

yakyu: "fieldball" - the Japanese name for baseball

I'm dreading tomorrow's matchup as much as the next guy... but i have to say i don't feel that bad about it. This is as shaky as logic gets but...

we've hit the aces of the league pretty darn well. We put 'em on the scoreboard against Randy Johnson, Peavy, and Santana, to name a few, and we did OK against pedro earlier this year. Not great, but not bad.

i'd feel much worse about tomorrow's game if it was a lefty they just brought up from AA with a 5.90 ERA for a spot start.

Tonight's Lineups:

1 Brady Clark, CF Jose Reyes, SS 2 Rickie Weeks, 2B Miguel Cairo, 2B 3 Lyle Overbay, 1B Carlos Beltran, CF 4 Carlos Lee, LF Cliff Floyd, LF 5 Geoff Jenkins, RF David Wright, 3B 6 Bill Hall, SS Mike Cameron, RF 7 Russell Branyan, 3B Doug Mientkiewicz, 1B 8 Chris Magruder, C Ramon Castro, C 9 Tomo Ohka, P Victor Zambrano, P 

Well today I have a feeling that we will win. I say somebody should do the stuff like top 1st or bottom of the 1st like in spring training. We won alot of games when we did that. LETS DO THE RALLY TYPING!!!

-------------

Fav Cubs fan quote

Quote:
Derrick Turnbow is a bad reliever

Quote:
Please, stop. The fact that we're 5.5 out is not the only thing that matters here. You also have to consider that we have 63 teams to pass to get the WC. The team that gets the WC will have won a minimum of 87 games (and probably 2-3 more than that), IMO. Do you honestly believe that this Brewers team is capable of winning anywhere close to 90 games? We're not even at .500 yet.

You can hope all you want, and I'm cheering for it, too. But, to suggest that those of us that choose to be realistic are any less of a fan, is... well... let's just leave it at that, before I say something I'll regret in the morning.

Wow, rluz... I think we've found something to agree upon. Let's not make a habit of this, OK. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

We are in the race. Sorry, but we are. I think that the players need to think we are too. We've had enough meaningless games in August over the years. It's about time we play one that means something!!

A win tonight would be a great way to tell the Mets we are in the race. It would get us to 1/2 game behind them, and everybody thinks they are in the race.

Would love for them to bat Weeks in between Lee and Jenks. For the millionth time, he's not a two hole hitter.

My ideal Brewer lineup:

Clark

Hall (RF hitter)

Overbay

Lee

Weeks

Jenks

Miller

Hardy

When Branyan plays, move Miller to the two hole.

Quote:
We are in the race. Sorry, but we are. I think that the players need to think we are too. We've had enough meaningless games in August over the years. It's about time we play one that means something!!
Can we please make a distinction between the players feeling like they are in a race to try and attain a playoff spot, and those of us who simply don't believe it's going to happen. Certainly, the players should be playing to win. But, I (and others) just don't believe that they'll win enough to make it. Being .500 will not win the wildcard. Being six games over .500 is very unlikely to win the wildcard. I think that's pretty much what we're saying. Even if you believe the Brewers will finish above .500 this season (a very respectable goal), it's unlikely they'll finish far enough above to win the WC.

Archived