Brewer Fanatic

8/6/05 Brewers (Cappy) @ Phillies (Lieber) 6:05 CST

FSN probably figured by Aug. the Brewers would be out of contention and casual fans would find something else to do on a Sat. night besides watching Baseball. They don't show weekday day games because most people work. After Aug. they don't televise any Sun. games because of Football. There are only 2 Sat. games on FSN (Cin.8/13,Atl.8/27) and amazingly both are home games. One would think they could adjust their schedule considering the Brewers are still in contention, but apparently not. As for tonites game Bob and Jim are fine by me. Good luck Capo and the Crew!

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I own a bar in Janesville. It really sucks when there is no baseball on at night. Braves (TBS) and Cubs (Fox) play during the day and the Crew isn't televised tonight.

Girlfriend's 25th Graduation party tonight. I'd be mad if there was a telecast tonight and I couldn't watch. So I guess I'm glad there isn't.

Will get updated from ESPN on my phone every 1/2 hour or so.

If people really want to watch the game, it will be shown on MLB.COM,

Living outside the State of Wisconsin, I get to see most of the Brewer games. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Brewers have the fewest or one of lowest amount of games that are televised on TV. Thanks to a contract signed with FSN in 2003.

From 2003,

"Under the current contract, FSN has paid the Brewers $2.6 million a year for the rights to the games, according to Broadcasting & Cable, a television trade magazine.

Both sides said the new contract is for more years than the current contract, which was for six years and expires after this season.

Under terms of the new deal, FSN has the option of televising as many as 140 games each season over the length of the contract. FSN is obligated to televise at least 115 Brewers games each season."

Also, there are a number of teams which have their weekday day games televised, of course the Brewer aren't one of them,

Anyway, as far as which games aren't choosen and why, there is from a 2004 JSONLINE article,

"In February, when the club and FSN were deciding which 47 games of the 162-game schedule not to televise, weekday games with afternoon starts were the chief places to start, as they always have been.

"When you start getting out of prime time or fringe, your hut levels (households using television) really drop off and your viewership really drops off," said Jim Dimond, vice president and general manager of Fox Sports Net North. "In order to maximize the viewing audience, you need to get them into that prime-time window."

Any weekday afternoon game telecast is destined to deliver a low rating, even if it involves the Cubs, because many people are at work and not watching television.

Dimond said FSN would continue to avoid putting weekday afternoon games on its TV schedule, even if those games are against the Cubs.

Other categories of games considered expendable are Sundays in September, when the Green Bay Packers play, as well as Saturday and Sunday dates in June, July and August (day or night) when people are outside enjoying the weather or otherwise not watching television.

The Brewers' contract with FSN calls for FSN to carry at least 115 games each season, but it could carry as many as 140 if it wanted. Last year, when games were on both cable and over-the-air, 130 games were televised in the local market. This year, all 115 are on cable.

Dimond left open the possibility that FSN might carry more than 115 games next season, but he said it was contingent on how successful the team was this year.

"The short answer is yes, we'd leave open the possibility," Dimond said.

FSN also has the option to put some games on over-the-air, but will do so only if it makes economic sense. If FSN decided to offer some games on over-the air, it would buy time on a local station and sell ads to cover the cost of the air and the production. If it can't make money in that arrangement, it's not likely to offer any games on over-the-air"

I hate FSN. I hope Mark "I love you very much" Attanasio recognizes how frustrated the fan base is with the team's television arrangement... the talk radio shows have been very critical of the Telemundo games (arguing that FSN should televise Sunday day games, too) and everyone is upset at the lack of coverage (only 115 games... that's pathetic). If he could somehow negotiate an increase in the minimum games agreement, a whole lot of people would be very happy.

The team finally gets to .500, they're playing great, everyone is excited, and fans can't watch the game on TV. Boooo.

~Bill

Quote:
following the games online is actually kind of addicting.One big atvantage of using Gameday is that you're able to see all the stats etc.. while your following the game

That's why I'm a super baseball nerd. I'll have the TV going (with DVR running so I can watch my own replays), Bob and Jim doing audio, and following all the stats on GameDay. Then I'll check in here to follow the reaction. When I'm feeling really bored, I'll also score along at home.

Not having the games on TV for replays makes me mad. Either FSN needs to pick up all 81 road game or we need to start a BES(t) network.

Edit to stay on topic: Here's to getting above .500 tonight! Let's "get r dun".

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Worst. Game Thread. Ever.

Here's to putting .500 in the rear view mirror. Now that we've achieved a "goal", let's kick it in and turn up the heat on the wild card. Yeah its a pipedream, but a good team needs lofty goals.

I'd love to see a rock solid performance by Cappy tonight, hopefully he can borrow some of the motivation and determination showed out on the mound by Sheets last night. Get him some runs early and let him settle in. My final thought is this, let's not let Abreu beat us. Make the rest of this team do it. Pitch carefully to him, keep him guessing and if all else fails, pick him off when he reaches 1st base.

One big advantage of using Gameday is that you're able to see all the stats etc.. while you're following the game

I am never going to be the kind of stat-head that many regular posters are. But 4 1/2 seasons at Miller Park have me so accustomed to being able to check the pitch count, batter statistics, batting order, etc. that I get a little irritated not having constant access to that information when I watch on TV.

Go Brewers! Here's hoping we see .504 by the end of the night!

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

This probably deserves its own thread, but again Uke didn't tell us what happened to Overbay. Is he getting senile? Do we have another Harry Carey? It seems like he's busy telling stories and loses track of why he's there. Last week I listened to two innings of a game and he made at least 10 major mistakes (calling people the wrong name, getting the outs or counts wrong, getting stats mixed up, etc.). I love the guy, but Powell is much better at telling us what is happening.

Archived