Brewer Fanatic

8/8/05 - Cardinals (Morris) @ Brewers (Vampire) - 7:05 CST

gbpacker40
  • Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
This Flores guy in the Cards pen is tough on lefties. They are hitting .164 against him this year. Hope Jenks and Overbay can buck the odds.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote:
Yes lets save Branyan for late in the game so LaRussa can bring in a lefty to face him!

Exactly. I was screaming when he sent Magruder to hit. I mean you don't start him and his pathetic .900+ OPS and then you don't hit him when the bases are loaded. What are you thinking Ned?

Quote:
If you bases loaded with one out and a rightie pitching against you... who do you choose. Who is YOUR best choice to score a run?

In that particular situation, in the 4th inning, I do believe MacGrudder was the correct call..to get at least one run in. He didn't, but to me that is a better risk than the risk of Branyan striking out for the second out.

Different point in the game, same situation, my answer might be different.

All else beuing equal and you present me that same question, without specifics of how the game had gone - you do not give me the information I had and my answer would probably be Branyan.

i don't agree with this theory to save your best pinch-hitters until the 8th and 9th innings. how about when you have the best opportunities to score? there's no guaruntee we'll get another bases loaded, 1 out chance in the later innings. break the game open when you have a chance (and a certain righty matchup for branyan) rather than saving everybody who can actually hit until it's too late.

Quote:
I was screaming when he sent Magruder to hit. I mean you don't start him and his pathetic .900+ OPS and then you don't hit him when the bases are loaded. What are you thinking Ned?

Considering that Branyan just doesn't play much, ,do we know if he is completely healthy?

BTW, Wes Helms is the player of teh game right now, so its hard to complain about him getting the start.

On the postive side, we have used up all our 'not so good players'... starters and pinch hitters, we have a good pen read, we have good hitters on the bench, we have three more outs to play with, and the game is tied.

I like the way the guys have smacked the ball - even a lot of hard hit outs (like Clarks smack to third with bases loaded). These guys are playing baseball.

Quote:
i don't agree with this theory to save your best pinch-hitters until the 8th and 9th innings. how about when you have the best opportunities to score?

Exactly. I want my best hitters at the plate with runners in scoring position, regardless of inning, rather than saving them until the 8th or 9th when you don't know if you are going to have baserunners.

Archived